Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 02:34PM

Loosening up their honor code would help their sports recruiting especially football and hoops

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:21PM

BYU could tighten up if it wanted to.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 06:02PM

They way that I, as a woman, got into YBU was to wait until I was a junior to transfer because so many freshwomen and sophomores dropped out for their Mrs degree. I can't remember where I picked this up but I did that and went there for my last two years of college. I loved the education, HATED the breed 'em young mindset. >:-(

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:33PM

The "no beard" rule didn't happen at BYU until the 60s. When I was born the President of the Church wore a beard. Every Church president for the previous 100 years had worn a beard. They can't claim that the "no beard rule" is a gospel principle.

However the "no beard" and "short hair" rules have proven a good way to control the student body. It will continue as long as it is useful.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 09:03PM

baura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
+1

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 03:59PM

Who attends BYUI and he has several large and very noticeable tattoos. I asked him how he got away with it and he said that no one has given him any issue about them. He was also a HUGE guy, huge. Maybe nobody wanted to piss him off. ;)

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 04:05PM

The anti-beard policy no doubt arose in reaction to the counter cultures embrace of beards. The church is run by businessmen, so it is natural that they want other members to look like businessmen.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 06:45PM

but you need a doctor's note that there's a medical reason why you can't shave.

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 12:37AM

The funny thing is how they enforce it. There is no "beard card" but you take the doctor's note to the student id office and get your picture taken with a beard. It has to be an obvious beard, too. That way, when teachers look at the roll, and when you show your ID in the testing center (the true enforcer of the honor code at BYU), they know it is legit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 07:32PM

If YBU prohibits dreadlocks... that's HORRIBLY enthno-centric.
Downright rude & insensitive of them.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 11:55AM

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 11:49AM

This reminds me of attending YBU many years ago when you had to register for classes physically (not online) and they had a university nazi type that would stand by the students in line and tell them to go home if their hair was too long (hair over the ears for example), had facial hair, or for female students, if their skirts were too short.

Posted by: NYNeverMo ( )
Date: November 21, 2011 12:48PM

Can guys have shaved heads? Long hair is pretty much not as popular with the younger set, but what about men who are bald by choice?

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 12:36AM

That is allowed. When I was there (~10 years ago), there was a big commotion in the school paper because there were a few girls walking around with shaved heads. However, I don't think it violated the honor code.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.