Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 03:16PM

Sitting here at work trying to find my zen place, as I have an interview for an internal job posting this afternoon, and I have severe interview anxiety.

Anyway, I'm listening to some of my very favorite soothing music, and in particular, a song called "Parce Mihi Domine" which is a very fascinating piece of sacred Renaissance a'cappella choral music performed by the incomparable Hilliard Ensemble, and accompanied by jazz saxophonist, Jan Garbarek, on the soprano sax. It may sound like a weird combination, but it's something unlike anything else I've ever heard. This song never fails to send shivers up and down my spine, and chokes me up every single time I hear it.

It got me thinking about "feeling the spirit", or the proverbial "burning in the bosom", and how the LDS think they have the franchise on this feeling. Hearing a piece of music like the one I'm listening to now pierces my heart and gives me the "feeling" stronger than anything I ever experienced in the LDS.

Just a-thinkin'.

inthenameofgaylayalejesuschristamen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 03:16PM by GayLayAleJesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 03:19PM

This is exactly why you always hear that rhetoric from the GA's about how music draws in the spirit. Great music creates an emotional response that TSCC then equates to the spirit.

I figured out that this was a fallacy when I started feeling the same way while listening to the hard rock bands I loved that TSCC simultaneously denounced.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 03:20PM

Also, good luck your interview, GLAJ!

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 03:51PM

But you recognize it and you love it and it enriches your life...and you don't have to explain it, it just is.

Good luck.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 04:38PM

Play it in your mind as you wait to be called in for your interview this afternoon. :-)

Good luck!

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:33PM

Music has always, ALWAYS had the same effect on me too :) Sending you positive thoguhts for your interview, GLAJ!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 12:14AM

whenever you want it.

(You don't have to beg, pray, or jump through any other hoops!)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:52AM

I just watched this on You Tube and it is a beautiful piece of music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4LtzZACek

Date: November 16, 2011 10:55AM

I feel really good about the interview. I should know whether I got the job either next week or the following week. I'm at peace with it, knowing I did everything I could do, and it's out of my hands now.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 04:37PM

So glad to hear you're back on your feet from the pneumonia thing. Good luck with the job!

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 12:24PM

Most spiritual experience of my life was in the Frauen Kirche in Zurich. Not a mormon church, listening to Bach (not a mormon composer), while looking at the Chagall windows (not a mormon artist). Hmmm.....

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 04:08PM

Beautiful. Thank you.

As an appreciator of like music, you might be interested in the catalogue at harmonia mundi. Unfortunately, too many people think only of Deutsche Grammophon and maybe Naxos.

http://www.harmoniamundi.com/#/home

Cheers

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 04:25PM

I feel the spirit everytime I listen to Mozart's c-minor Mass which he never completed, damn it.

And if I was ever "born again" (which I don't put any stock into), it was at St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. It was an all Bach organ concert. Seriously, I had so many aural orgasms from that evening that I was exhausted the next morning.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 05:37PM

Much enjoyed! Music like this makes my spirit fly free and brings wellness to my being.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 06:02PM

Music by Thomas Tallis or Palestrina (among others)="feeling the spirit" in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-FN4aV95g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsj4QEmduA&feature=related

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 08:01PM

Let's keep this thread going. It's got to be more interesting than "Praise to the Prophet" as feeling the spirit in the Mormon sense.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:45PM

was listening to a techo remix of Pet Shop Boys' "Go West". When they do the chorus with the choir, it makes me feel like I'm flying. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

This was at least six years ago. Yet I still recall it.

Jesus spoke to me through a techno dance remix. My bosom burned quite vividly.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:57PM

Just hooked up some headphones and played my rusty old mp3 copy, and tears streamed down my face. I am feeling incredibly gay right now. ;-)

So, how'd the interview go??

Date: November 17, 2011 10:49AM

And BTW, I love that PSB song, and it IS one of the gayest songs ever. LOL ;)

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:33PM

Oh Fortuna! gives me a spiritual experience.

If i want tears, laughter and powerful feelings i only have to listen to Les Mis Musical.

I love what john williams did for star wars/ the empire strikes back and Hedwig's theme for Harry Potter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXsQfph4Do&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-GRyOqsi9M&feature=related

Good luck in your interview!!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:43PM

Just found that music on you tube. Beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4LtzZACek

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 01:46PM

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: November 22, 2011 01:08PM

I did not know about Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble. Thank you GayLayAleJesus.

Date: November 22, 2011 01:13PM

I believe they have 3 collaborative albums, but the first one, "Officium" is by far the best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.