Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 04:35PM

ok, I stopped going to church almost a year ago. My wife and 13 year old son still attend. He turns 14 next month and I am sure will want to be ordained as a Teacher. I have not resinged, but have not attended nor tithed in this time and my temple recomend has expired. But a part of me wants to be available if my son wishes to have me ordain him. I know of no rules in the church that forbid a M priesthood holder to perform such ordinances even if not active or paying tithes. Any expereinces anyone wants to share to help me handle this?

Not looking for advice to tell my son to stop going, as I want him and my wife to come to this on their own.

Part of me wants to do this just to show other members that I am not in "sin" as they assume I am. That not paying tithing and not going to church does not = a sinful person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 06:55PM

You are right, however, your local leadership may disagree. I was once visiting a relative who asked me to assist in a setting apart for a music calling (not acting as voice, only just standing there) and was forbidden because I did not have my TR with me. I was the YMP at the time!

If your son wants you to do this you can try, but you may be rejected. This will present a great opportunity to wonder with your wife and son whether or not anyone is ever actually given the PH, or whether they are just given a ticket to ask the local yokel for permission. It would seem that if you are ordained, and you are still a member and not under any discipline, you HAVE the priesthood and should be able to exercise it.

Your son may look differently at a so-called PH authority that can be arbitrarily and unfairly extended and withdrawn at the whims of leaders.

Keep in mind that you may also help establish your defacto sinfulness when you are rejected.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 08:08PM

Previously the official policy is you could not have.

The new church handbook that came out about a year ago leaves this at the discretion of the bishop - the wording is something along the lines of "families are so important that bishops according to inspiration of the spirit may allow a father to perform ordinances even if not temple recommend worthy."

So if you really want to do this you need to make an appointment with the bishop. I would assume the bishop will give you a bunch of hoops to jump through - maybe attending church and pay tithing for a bit to be worthy. But who knows maybe he'll just let you do the ordination - it's his call.

Posted by: labdork ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 05:17AM

Do not do it. Your family may come to respect the honesty of your beliefs. Mine did. I would explain that it would be inconsistant with your beliefs to do so. Hope this helps!

Posted by: the dad ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:18AM

If your son wants you to, and he at least vaguely knows you are a non-believer, do it.
If your bishop wants to know what you really think, tell him what he wants to hear. My son begged our bishop to let me ordain him a priest. I very carefully prepared for the inquest. Bish let me do it.
Right after I ordained my son, Boyd Packer told a story of his insisting an inactive father ordain his son an Elder. (April 2010 Gen. Conf.) This speech seems contrary to the new policy. Sometimes, you gotta' love Boyd for poking his finger in his bretheren's eye.
Next April, my son will be 18 and I expect another "interview" with our bishop since the standards for ordaining to the MP are higher (e.g., they require money and the wearing certain underpants). I will go to that interview armed with Packer's speech, prepared to tell him what he wants to hear, and brushed up on the current handbook policy.
Now that my two oldest have become temple-married NOMs, I think my difficult choice to remain a"harmless non-believer" was a good one for me and my family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.