Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 10:50AM

My spouse and I have been attending church less and less. It has been a few weeks since we last went and it feels great. They tried to snag us in with a calling, but we told them we need more time to think it over. My spouse will now look for the slightest excuse not to go...weather, sickness, tiredness. I certainly hope this is a reflection of changing attitudes, not an simply her being upset with the ward.

I can't describe just how much nicer our sundays are when we stay home.

The few times we do go, we end up regretting it. The kids hate nursery and primary and it is a battle just to keep them calm at church. We're lucky to sit in on any meetings and when we do, something controversial or offensive is always said. Everything is about conforming to patterns of behavior, fulfilling our church callings, and being judgmental of the behavior of others. Group think, mockery of other religions, and chest thumping that we are his chosen people and are superior abounds. Few sincere friendships.

Mentally, I feel so much healthier. I can do this. I can throw off these chains. And I will be much happier for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluuzplayer ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 11:04AM

yes you can!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 12:25PM

Not going to church is the quickest way to clear her mind, whatever the reason. You are shedding your chains!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 02:06PM

They aren't all that indoctrinated or socially involved yet.

Nobody can make you go if you don't want to. Just say no.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 10:43AM

You know you're right about leaving! Every step you take to break away your life will be better. Just help your spouse along the way because I'm sure it must be much more difficult to do it alone. Make it a "couples mission" to get out of the church and all that entails. Good luck to you.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:51PM

Ignore pressure to do what others want you to do.
If you want to go to a church, find one the children enjoy.
Life is too short to be miserable about religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.