Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 03:51PM

I vote Holland only because he seems just right there on the edge of crazy. Where you are in the last desperate throws of trying to prove the church really is true, before you give up and admit it's all a fraud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:06PM

I agree--Holland.

Amongst the least likely--BKP, Bednard

Posted by: Boyd K Packer ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:56PM

Actually, I may just do it. I am almost dead, my calling and election has been made sure, and I just screwed all the survivalists at the last conference. That is a good idea....

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:12PM

I would love to see BKP have a psychotic break while at the podium. I think he has caused them for many others. It would be the ultimate Karma.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:12PM

My vote is Holland too. The things he says make it sound like he has looked at the evidence and is trying too hard to mask the cog dis.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:19PM

I think Uchedorf. He is not an insider to the LDS church, or at least he wasn't. He is smart, is well liked, and seems to give talks relating to Jesus and less towards an LDS theme (worship of Joseph Smith, etc.). He could come out, so to speak, and retire to Germany, away from the firestorm it would create.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:56PM

I could see that too. He doesn't have long family history in the church. He could go back to being a pilot.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:40PM

L Tom Perry was always my favorite...he seems good nature and I would hope that if he discovered the truth he would want to do a good thing before he passes on... is he still alive? Bednard seems like a Nazi. Uchedorf probably doesn't want to ruin his perfect reputation but I always did enjoy his talks.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:57PM

thats the grand pattern of things,
just like the LDS temple shows
after all, women are exceptional

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:53PM

I can see that. Her husband dies, the church takes away her corporate credit card, so she spills the beans to get back at the and make some money from a book deal.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:06PM

But how much do you think these GA's really tell their wives? The GA's seem like pretty old school, male chauvinist pigs who wouldn't deign to tell the "little woman" anything really important. After all, she's just there to raise the kiddies and make the doughnuts. Someone you can call your most prized possession at conference while you whiz around the world doing your calling and ignoring her.

I wonder what tales a ticked off GA wife could really tell.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:50PM

Unfortunately, even if a wife did such a thing, it would be all too easy to write her off. If this church is good at anything, it's ignoring women.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 07:38AM

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 04:57PM

Holland seems like a deeper thinker, more in touch with reality, and more honest in comparison with the others. I was going to say Holland already before I clicked on the thread and saw that was your opinion too.

Posted by: marcionite ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:12PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhh_RiEWtQ

Obviously Monson. He has already cracked.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:28PM

…would the remaining faithful leaders sit by helplessly and let him do it?!?!

NOT!!!!!

No doubt they have, shall we say, very "effective" ways of preventing these things.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 12:21AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 01:17AM

I vote for Holland, even tho I don't usually go with Crowd

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 08:31AM

Ditto Holland, and he comes clean..."Look, none of us have ever seen or talked to baby Jesus and never will, we just have feelings, just like all the rest of you tbm's".

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 08:40AM

I think the Hyrum Smith book debacle at Conference put a hole below his water line. He will have been told by the spirit it was Hyrum's book, so when it turns out not to be that's got to cause some brain melt for him.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 09, 2011 08:38AM

They can't.
It would be biting the hand that feeds them.

The junior authorities won't either because they are all in with a shout of one of the top jobs when someone dies.

Posted by: MarkW ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 07:30PM

William Law was in the First Presidency in Nauvoo, printed the Nauvoo Expositor newspaper that exposed the nefariousnees of Joseph Smith and other leaders, including the ongoing polygamy that they were lying about.

That didn't stop the Church in those early, more precarious days. A GA leaving today and exposing it would have even less of a chance of bringing down the modern corporate church.

When I first left I briefly fantasized about what it would take to bring down the Church, and then realized that if the BoA fiasco, the Kinderhook plates, BoM DNA and anachronisms, the evolution and obvious fraud of the First Vision stories, etc. could not bring down the Church, it's likely nothing will. People stick their head in the sand.

It would be interesting tho' to see a current prominent GA do it (leave and expose the truth). But most devout people in the Church would just dismiss the ex-GA as having "gotten in the grips of Satan".

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:47PM

I must be getting tired.

I thought I read....If a general authority did crack and told the truth.......

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:45AM

In that General Conference tone: "It is with the greatest sorrow that I admit...that last night...I did...crack."

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:07AM

Brother Poleman who just died tried it in 1984 --and although they could not stop him ,, they made him recant and redo his conference talk...

JB

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 05:12AM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 04:41AM

My close relative was a GA, and a key speaker on Sunday general conference, but he never spoke his true beliefs in public. He told us kids, one-on-one, that no has ever really known anything about the hereafter. No one actually knew if there would be three degrees of glory with restricted visitation between them, or exactly how husbands and wives and families would be connected. He did not believe in polygamy in heaven. He told us, "No one has ever died and gone to Heaven, then come back to tell us." Since he was at the top of the LDS church hierarchy, I absolutely believed him. This gave me problems with the temple wall murals depicting the three degrees of glory, and all the emphasis on work for the dead, temple marriage, secret handshakes to get into the celestial kingdom, etc.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 07:48AM

It'll be titled "GAs Gone Wild," and will sell for 19.95 on TV.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 10:04AM

Really? Holland?....I think his whole identity is so tied up in being a televangelist and the adoration of the fawning masses that he would be the last to give that up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.