Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 09:50AM

No!No!No! - The Rapture/Jesus Return/Apocalypse is the last hope of my TBM relatives for proclaiming to the world how they were RIGHT ALL ALONG.. and see their various enemies bite the dust and be humbled/die horribly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 11:22AM

I have to say, my first thought on reading the title of this thread was: "It needs debunking? Who in their right mind even gives it a moment's thought?" lol

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 09:58AM

That's one of the great motivators of some religions. Neener neener neener, I'm right and you're not only wrong, but you're also being tortured for all eternity. Because God is love.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 10:37AM

The best debunker will be January 1, 2013.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 10:40AM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 11:19AM

dammit! wrong again!

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 11:53AM

That's too bad. I was kinda looking forward to some good news following the presidential election.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:01PM

Joseph Smith is mentioned in this article:

http://www.livescience.com/7926-10-failed-doomsday-predictions.html

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: pruchnicki ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:38PM

One of my colleagues is hunkering down for the end of the world next year. Some people seem to thrive on the worries of the last days being just around the corner.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:57PM

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:02PM

You mean we have to put up with all those damn Christians for yet another year?!?! Well, flip!!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:14PM

I totally believe in this and have so prophesied myself that 2012 would be the tipping point for the Mormon church.

Meaning that in its greed for power, the spotlight of public attention would fall on this insular and destructive religion, rendering it powerless to attract educated adherents.

Polls show an anyone-but-Romney attitude among Republicans, which is attributed to his flip-flopping ways. This characterization of his lack of core is already known to us and has been discussed at length on this board. We refer to it as the end-justifies-the-means, or more simply put, "lying for the Lard."

Lack of transparency (secretive) and lying (truths that are not useful are denied) are all Mormon strategies which the Mormon leadership think has worked well for them. In truth, they underestimate the average American because they assume that John Q. Public is similar to their brainwashed sheep--he will believe anything and not mind the hiding or revision of anything.

Polls show this is just not true. The Mormon campaign portraying members as not just "regular" people, but superior people --admirable, even, has been a spectacular failure and has not moved the needle up for Romney AT ALL.

Although people are reluctant to attribute Romney's inability to climb above 23% to his religion, the "mystery" of why he has failed to gather momentum in his own party is no mystery to us or to any evangelical Christian.

If he was a "pastor," then I am a bass player in a transexual heavy metal band. Wait--I just said that because it's easier for people to visualize than "ex-Mormon grandmother."

2012 is the year of the apocalypse for Mormonism. I predict that door-to-door tracting will stop in favor of internet missionary chats making appointments for discussions in person. Mormon church stats will continue to grow on paper as third worlders join, see that there is no real help available, and become inactive. But their joining helps perpetrate the "we are the fastest growing" illusion," and helps compensate for the thousands of resignations.

Will we be seeing a column in the membership stats for resignations now that it has been made so much easier via email? Of course not.

Anagrammy

Date: December 11, 2011 01:18PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:24PM

Boy will YOU be sorry when the 2012 apocalypse occurs. Ha ha ha then you'll wish you had believed and taken it seriously.

(On January 1. 2013 I will disavow having posted this)

Date: December 11, 2011 01:26PM

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:25PM

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/12/07/mexico_mix_maya_2012.DTL

My favorite quote:

"1. The Maya were, and are, humans. They are not mystical seers, supernatural beings or aliens. In his fascinating and informative book, "The Order of Days," David Stuart theorizes that such notions are a holdover from the discovery of the Maya's fantastic cities in the 19th century, when a brash, young United States was eradicating its own natives. According to Stuart, the belief was mere "Indians" simply could not have reached the heights of art, writing, language, mathematics, architecture and astronomy displayed in these cities; their accomplishments were attributed instead to Phoenicians, Israelites, Scandinavians or even people from the lost continent of Atlantis. Stuart, professor of Mesoamerican art and writing at the University of Texas, is one of the world's foremost Maya scholars. He asserts that the view of the Maya as so exotic as to be alien, and the readiness to grasp at this milestone in the dimly understood ancient Maya calendar, says more about contemporary culture than it does about the Maya or their cosmology."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.