Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alight ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 08:46AM

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

i really love this article. It's the best thing I've read for a long time! I would post it on Facebook but I'm too afraid of the ambush and murder it would cause XP

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 09:30AM

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 11:33AM

"'Do unto others…' is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -­‐ a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life. And that’s where spirituality really lost its way. When it became a stick to beat people with. 'Do this or you’ll burn in hell.'

You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2011 11:34AM by Strykary.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:22PM

Oh man, I loved that! I never, EVER thought I'd get to this point in my life, but...the guy makes sense. More for me to think about.

Posted by: alight ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:04PM

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:12PM

Interesting point about the 75% of people in prison who are christians (I think "religious" would bump the percentage up to about 90%), and that there are about 10% of USA citizens who are atheists (in December 2010 anyway, when Gervais was writing this, now that percentage is higher), but that only 0.2% of people in prison are atheists.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 03:07PM

Which is bizarre considering how much the average American distrusts an atheist.
I love Ricky Gervais. My favourite story is when he and his GF were living in one of those flats without a bathroom. He didn't want to go wee down in the hallway bathroom in the middle of the night, so he would di it in the sink. One night, his GF caufght him and said, "At least lift p the dishes first!"

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:40PM

Thanks for the link, I sent it on to many friends. He's got some great thoughts on the topic. "God made me this way." HA!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 03:28PM

that was interesting.

The embedded "update" link was interesting, too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.