Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omen ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:03AM

"Hitchens was a non-believing asshole and I'm glad he's dead."

This was the comment I received from a friend today. This friend is pretty religious. Granted, Hitchens didn't pull any punches with religion, but I'm not sure that makes him an asshole.

It really made me think. From my experience, the atheists I know are really not bad people. I understand also that i probably give them a little lateral movement on their faults because we share common ground. Still, they donate to charities, show kindness for others, and possess a number of other qualities the religious community seems to aspire to. So why all the anger toward Hitchens? Why all the animosity toward atheists?

I think the answer is in the initial comment; non-belief. No matter what kind of charitable life I lead, no matter how I truly love humankind, I will in the end be seen as someone not worthy of praise, but name calling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:06AM

"Religion makes normally moral people say and do disgusting and wicked things"

Posted by: drewmeistercantlogin ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:43AM

I think OP should send that quote verbatim to their "friend".

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:15AM

Wow, what a classy friend.
Well, you can tell said friend that Hitchens - and many others - felt the same way about their Mother Theresa.

I think they are afraid of atheists - atheists are a threat to the world order and must therefore be hated because they dare to believe that they do not need religion in order to be good or moral or find purpose and meaning in life. The sheep don't understand this and can't step outside out of their narrow little mind long enough to comprehend it... so it's much easier to simply hate those who can.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:23AM

I imagine he stepped on a lot of toes.

That being said, namecalling is rude and it is very crass to take joy in someone else's misfortune.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:26AM

My heart is broken this morning. I was hoping a hopeless hope. I once told Richard Packham that I wished he would live forever and I had the same sentiment for Christopher. These are the two men I have come to admire most. I have no doubt that in years to come that Christopher will be seen as the main figure who thrust a fatal blow to religious fanaticism over the whole earth. Christopher said towards the end that all he wanted was to know that he had been vindicated. You are more than vindicated my friend for this ex-mormon and literally millions of others owe you a great debt for yanking their minds out of the mental prisons of comfortable delusions.

This great debt can only be repaid by passing the torch of logic, reason and common sense to our progeny so that the coming generations never forget who stood up and kicked the religious boogeyman in the crotch and showed human kind that the Emperors of religion have no clothes.

I swear to all that there is that before this day ends I will purchase a bottle of Jonny Walker Black. Around the neck of that bottle I will place a heartfelt note. “Rest in peace Christopher my more than vindicated friend. I am with you.”

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:44PM

I lost ALL credibility. It doesn't matter if it's with Mormons other Christian faiths, since I don't believe in their God or Jesus I'm automatically against them, when I'm not. Not even a little bit.

So sad about Hitchens...

And your "friend" omen, is unbelievable!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:48PM

So when your friend is dead will people say "he was a believing asshole and I'm glad he's dead." ?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 03:38PM

I'm not a fan of Hitchens for a number of reasons-some of which are political and can't be discussed here. However, being glad someone is dead is over the top. However, when a top M Mormon dies, we hear our share of the same type of comments here. Just saying.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 03:49PM

It is sad for anybody to die. I've seen conversations with Christopher Hitchens a number of times. Smart guy, BUT, he was very abrasive and I didn't care for him. He could have been otherwise and his views would have received a better reception, IMO. Maybe I don't know enough atheists, but the ones that seem to be in the news seem alot like Mr. Hitchens. Obviously there are many who are considerate of others views and are good people. Of course there are bum-holes on the religious side as well.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:52PM

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 07:04PM

He would not cared that your friend was glad he died.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 07:05PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 07:11PM

Clearly, not religious enough, one might argue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.