Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:52PM

Mine is this: When I left the church, DW had no income so now neither of us was paying tithing. Unfortunately, she went and asked the bishop what she had to do to maintain a temple recommend, and he grabbed the figure of $200 out of his ass--she could keep her temple recommend so long as she paid TSCC $200 each month. Being the idiot I often am, I agreed because the whole thing with my leaving had been a big shock in the first place, and I didn't want to cause any additional problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:58PM

Back when I first started to realize the church did not care about its members, I was in the YSA program. I was having a hard time finding a Celestial Partner in our Southeastern US based Stake (all the worthy girls were running off to Utah).

Our YSA program and FHEs were all based out of the stake, until one day the GAs decided that all YSA programs and FHEs should be ran on the ward level. Now in our area, the FHE was the only way you could find a Mormon girl if you were single, unless she was in your ward. My ward had exactly four YSA members, and we were all male. Worse, they made me the YSA president in my ward, so I couldn't sneak off to another congregation's activities. They also treated me like I was a 16 year old in priest qurumn, despite the fact that I was a 27 year old cop. (Let me tell you about the time I arrested a fellow priesthood brother)

It was really infuriating.

Date: December 16, 2011 09:53PM

Luckily my own personal experiences have only been with the out of touch nature of the church. I personally haven't suffered as much as others. But I have seen plenty of others suffer and loose families because of the church's arrogance. I don't mean to demean any of you who have suffered more, and it was seeing your pain that had the most influence on my leaving the church.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:10PM

I was twelve had no idea what he was talking about. Evidently Cashews and Almonds are OK.....

Date: December 17, 2011 12:15PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:17PM

I had been inactive for about 7 years. Living out in the country minding my own business. Got a letter informing me I had been excommunicated.ok

30 years later a stake president called me a liar when I told him I didn't know why I had been Ex'd. In hindsight, that was the moment I was finished with the mormon church.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 11:51AM

but that damn dog lies all the time.

No. I haven't just been out.

No. I haven't just eaten.

Don't know where that came from.

LIAR!

Some canine posters on this board may take offense, but it's my experience that all dogs are liars.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:18PM

Our beloved Deannie (sp)(((the dreaded single adult))) ????? She could regail us with horror story after horror story.

I hope she has enough time to stop her beautiful singing and playing her dulcimer, and has control of all the lightning bolts of eternity and aims a few at the total idiots who gave her such a hard time here on earth..

JB

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 01:50PM

until everyone else had gone through the serving line at dinner. They could eat last.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:57PM

...my bishop (former scoutmaster) asserted that the Lord had revealed to him that I would be one of the two witnesses in the book of revelation who would be martyred in the streets of jerusalem, lay dead for three days, then be resurrected by the Lord himself.

My actual mission call to California - San Diego was just a "preparatory mission."

I can laugh about it now... :)

Date: December 16, 2011 10:02PM

California San Diego Mission 97-98, under President John S. Boyden. What year did you serve?

Good times, my MP was the one who sent a third of the missionaries home in disgrace because they decorated their mish apartments with Star Wars toys, and he thought this was a sign they were all in a secret combination called "The Force"

Date: December 16, 2011 10:05PM

I also got sent home early from my Mission because I got in a fight with by companion, but in retrospect I count that as a huge blessing.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:14PM

Calexico was easily my favorite area. Day trips to Mexico = Tithing well spent :)

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 01:05AM

...or are there a lot of San Diego Mission veterans here on RfM? What is it about serving there that makes people leave TSCC?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:12PM

When the jealous priesthood holders closed the bank account of the Relief Society and forced us to give the (egg?) money we had earned to being "under the control of the priesthood."

Why? Because it was unseemly that the Elders Quorum should have to go to women to ask for money. It was NOT unseemly, however, for the priesthood bullies to take away the money of those who earned it.

From then on we had to send the youth groups, scouts, etc to the Elders Quorum so they could decide to give or withhold the Relief Society sisters' money. Guess what? They always said no--ask the members to donate crepe paper, streamers, etc.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 04:21PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the jealous priesthood holders closed the
> bank account of the Relief Society and forced us
> to give the (egg?) money we had earned to being
> "under the control of the priesthood."
>
> Why? Because it was unseemly that the Elders
> Quorum should have to go to women to ask for
> money. It was NOT unseemly, however, for the
> priesthood bullies to take away the money of those
> who earned it.
>
> From then on we had to send the youth groups,
> scouts, etc to the Elders Quorum so they could
> decide to give or withhold the Relief Society
> sisters' money. Guess what? They always said
> no--ask the members to donate crepe paper,
> streamers, etc.
>
> Anagrammy

How...amazing. THAT should have shaken some testimonies right there. The penis holders took over your money and then would not let you spend it? If ever a story illustrates what TSSC is about, this is it. SLC just does this on a larger scale, take all your money and then they decide how much you get to spend.

So WHAT did they do with your money? Did you ever get to spend it again? Why did anyone go along with such BS and allow them to take over the money?

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:22PM

Stupid mormon bishop reported an untrue RUMOR he heard about me to the police and I got arrested!! effin douche bag!

Date: December 17, 2011 01:09AM

I would love to hear more details on this story.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:20PM

Interesting considering the many, many reports of how they protect priesthood child molesters from the police.

Ana

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:29PM

Man, I have some stories...

I'll get my old bish credit for creativity....effectiveness is a whole different matter.

I don't miss his regime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 10:30PM by archytas.

Posted by: lefthandedgoat ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:57PM

The stake pres decided that RS homemaking could ONLY be held during the day while I was the RS president in my ward. His reasoning was that women should be home with their families at night and that working women shouldn't be rewarded with a meeting schedule that encouraged their working outside the home.

He was a really work of art!!! Drove most of the stake crazy!! Vancouver North Stake circa 1994.

He also disbanded the men and youngmen's basketball programs because at one game two bishops got into a fight - OK I get that one and he would not let the youth of the stake have any multi-stake functions because "which priesthood authority would from which stake would be the authority? Someone has to have direct jurisdiction/power from Salt Lake so a regional authority would have to be present at the event" (multi-stake youth dance, etc).

One other thing-all of the RS rooms in the stake were not allowed to have pianos. They all had organs because organ music was closer to God! So happens that his uncle or father or someone like that was a famous Tabernacle organist. Trust me that it's hard enough to find someone to play the piano for a RS meeting. Try finding a organist for every RS meeting!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:53AM

I was a returned missionary in my late 20s and not meeting any interesting LDS guys living where I did in CA so I got the bright idea to get my company to transfer me to Salt Lake. My bishop called me in to talk about these plans and expressed his concerns about my move. Apparently he was inspired to tell me that the Mormons in Utah were the worst members of the church and didn't know how to live the gospel and he was worried that living amongst such bad influences would destroy my testimony.

Of course, in the end it was the internet that destroyed my testimony but having lived with crazy Mormons in Utah for a few years certainly put me in a frame of mind where it could be destroyed so that bishop was right, in a way.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 07:17AM

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 07:56AM

That's just insane...

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:52AM

Thank you - yes, it was totally insane. It was said by the EQ prez at that time. When we went to the stake prez about it, this is what he had the balls to say: "Well, if a righteous man (meaning the EQprez because the stake prez called him to that position, & he never makes mistakes) said it, it must be true."

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:04PM

Jeezus, both of them are insane.

Would either of them have said the same thing about themselves, it was their own child who died? I could just see that: "Ooops! Our dear Johnny contracted cancer and died, just because I didn't have enough faith. Gotta work on that!"

The other one I hate is when they say: "Don't worry, he/she is in a better place." I told that bishop that if he thought it was such a better place, he should go there himself.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 08:16AM

I blogged about Bishop 'Gold' a while ago.

He was a very, very strange man, clearly very deeply disturbed and deluded.

Date: December 17, 2011 12:19PM

This is one of the driving forces of the church disciplinary council.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 09:01AM

My convert DD's BF was in the MTC where they subject to a constant stream of "confess or the spirit won't be with you and you'll be a failure as a missionary."

The poor kid finally buckled and confessed about some heavy petting he and DD engaged in.

The douche bag he confessed to called DD on her cell phone - a girl he had never met and knew nothing about. He put her on speaker phone with BF in the room and began to grill her about the details to "confirm the sin". Couldn't take BF's word for anything as he was clearly of questionable character. Douche bag then told them that a GA would have to decide if BF could go on his mission or get sent home.

DD was hysterical for days. I shudder to think what a girl with an unstable personality might have done.

Date: December 17, 2011 12:13PM

A very similar thing happened to my companion in the MTC. I never learned the specifics about what happened but I do know his GF got called, and his parents had to come and pick him up from the MTC. I also remember wondering what the hell would have happened if he hadn't been from the Utah area,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 12:15PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 11:56AM

So Elders Quorum Prez is giving some speech one day ....and really goes off the rails and starts blathering about Joseph Smith's murder

Starts to make the argument that the sole reason for the American Civil War was because of God's wrath against the U.S. for allowing the murder of his prophet....

This was a big moment for me because the guy was otherwise extremely intelligent and level headed....

It definitely increased my cog dis levels at the time

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:15PM

This occured on the fifth Sunday of the month when the PH/RS meetings are combined. Some douchebag who was at the time one of the counselors in the mission presidency reemed out my ward for not having any convert baptisms in over a year. Then he introduced that notorious five program where five people from the five different auxiliaries fellowshipped five people a year that the ward numbers would double. By this time, my RS president was actually crying!!!!!

Then the guy goes on ANOTHER guilt trip about how you must have all your kids with you in the hereafter. Reminded me of Moses 4 where Satan wanted to save everyone so not one soul would be lost. By this time, his wife should have shoved a stilleto up his ass.

Then this jackass went into ANOTHER guilt trip about how his RM brother went to YBU for three years and did all sorts of bad things and how he had to hear about it from others and how glad he was when his apostate brother left YBU and Utah for good. By this time, TBM DH turned to me and said he'll be damned if either of our kids ever go to any TSCC-sponsored university. The meeting must've gone on for another ten minutes before it finally finished.

All my TBM DH said at the end was, "Well, that was hilarious!"

Me, I was so thankful when the very next day I was offered a job where I had to work Sundays.

My DS had to witness that crap. To this day he doesn't remember it, thank goodness. :-D

Now this douchebag is a bishop in my stake. May God help every member of his ward. I give them my utmost sympathy big time.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2011 12:36PM by imalive.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:18PM

he told me and my wife that oral sex was of the animal kingdom, and "this comes straight from the first presidency", you cannot attend the temple if you engage in "licking of the genitals" (his actual words). sicko

he told one of my friends that god sends retarded babies to newlyweds who wait to have kids. Marriage is for having kids, no other reason. "First one right away, then as many as the wife's health will allow."

He was such an arrogant blow hard, after his stint as SP he was promoted to MP.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 12:20PM

I do not know if this fits the question, but after we moved to Utah, I was called to be the YW President in a family ward. They gave me a couple weeks to choose counselors. The day they were going to call and sustain me, one of the counselors came off the stand and told me they were not going to extend the call that day, they would talk to me afterwards. After sacrament, they took my husband and I that the Bishopric prayed about it again, and they were told this time, that I was not be YW president. I was absolutely stunned and thought what did I do in the last two weeks that changed HF's mind about me. In the 20 years I was a member, I was never called to a leadership position, never even a counselor or secretary. I probably would have left the church sooner, having heard that it is all gossip and telling of everyone's business.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 01:43PM

...and the bishop and I "called" members to positions in RS. I was one of the problems in the morg. Ugh.

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:00PM

Being active in the Church as a single male (never married) in my mid and late 20s I received all kinds of advice, ridicule, guilt, and shameful remarks from my leaders including Bishops and Stake Presidents. They ranged from you aren't worthy because of "X" to quit being so picky and get married to you aren't putting in enough effort. Looking back at it all now I can't believe I put up with their BS as long as I did. Glad to finally be out, officially as of yesterday.

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 03:02PM

Bishopric member approaching us at church, totally random, and telling us he had received inspiration that if we were worthy, we would see our dead daughter at the Bountiful Temple dedication who had dies over 10 years before. Great way to open up old wounds.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 03:16PM

There are countless examples more serious than this, but the one that left me thinking, "WTF?" at the time was when I was the SM chorister.

From time to time, I would indicate for the congregation to stand during the rest hymn as I had often seen done before. After a while, they had DH tell me that I did not have the authority to make that decision; only the bishopric had the divine inspiration to know when leg stretching was appropriate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.