Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 09:58AM

My boss had an encounter with the local Sister missionaries yesterday. He's a single guy, Mexican, in his mid 40s, not bad looking, super personable...the little sister missionaries couldn't resist! They knocked on his door and he let them in. They offered a scripture study (he told them he's a devout Catholic and showed them his well-worn bible) Then they gave the whole "but there's more lets tell you about our other book" speech, and he told them he had another bible as well...so he went to his bedroom and brought back...the latest issue of Playboy. He told the sisters this was his other bible, and between the Catholic bible and Playboy, his life is very full and he doesn't need more religion. They couldn't get out of there fast enough! To ensure that they don't come back, he has this month's centerfold taped to his front door. That should suffice in scaring away the Jehovah's, the Moonies and any little kids trying to sell popcorn or wrapping paper.

I'm getting sworn in to City Commission after the first of the year and I would LOVE to have a city ordinance banning door to door solicitation of all kinds. Mostly because I'm tired of every little kid I don't know knocking on my door selling things I don't want, but partly to keep the darn missionaries (Jehovah's LDS and the Moonies) for bothering me in the privacy of my home. And the weird college age kids going door to door selling kleenix and paper towels (I always think they're casing my house) I know its wishful thinking...but I bet the Morg would be extremely upset if their missionaries weren't allowed to tract in town anymore =) Wishful thinking...in fact I don't think I'll accomplish anything significant, but I would LOVE for the weird kleenix kids to go away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2011 09:21AM by westernwillows.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 10:36AM

Churches and political parties use pressure to force the exeptions.

Posted by: Jean A. Marr ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:22PM

No, its the United States Supreme Court that has protected the right of individuals to go door-to-door. Perhaps you should spray the nine justices with a hose and see what happens.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 04:08PM

A few of them could use the cleaning!

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 09:16AM

and that it probably won't happen (in fact, I probably won't accomplish much of anything significant in my 4 year term) But I do protect the right to my property--I've sent my dogs after more than one missionary =)

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 11:48AM

Several years ago some sister missies came calling. Never did push much mormonism and seemed to relax when here. Used to fix them dinner and we had a good time. They used to enjoy watching TV.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 01:33PM

Technically they get away with it because they are not selling anything eventhough it works out to be the single largest expense if you join.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:16PM

That is a great story.

I often feel badly for the missionaries--I remember my own experiences. I was pressured to go on a mission, didn't really want to go, went through the motions, was extremely naive, liked people but hated throwing my own views and values on others, stayed until the end, was so happy when it ended. There has to be many missionaries in the same situation today.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:28PM

That's the same reason I am always so nice to them. As far as I see it, the missionaries are victims of their evil religion. By TBM sister has a couple living in an apartment behind her house, so every time I go over there to drop off or pick up my son from baby sitting, I always end up having to interact with them. Poor fools probably think they can bring me back, and if the delusion keeps my sister from cutting off all communication with me, so be it, though we have agreed a long time ago not to discuss religion.

Date: December 17, 2011 02:23PM

If you are in the States there is nothing legally you can do to keep missionaries from tracking neighborhoods. The supreme court declared that they have a religious right to do so a few years back in a case involving JWs. All you would do is get your city sued.

That said, I am sure there are a million little things you could do to make your city a better place. For instance, dropping any requirements that bars and restaurants can't serve alcohol if they are so many feet away from a church, or weeding out any of the other blue laws.

You can also help your town by remembering this simple little statement, "Just because someone is offended, doesn't mean they are right." You're going to hear lots of complaints about how your police were rude to the wife beater when they arrested him, or the fire fighter dropped an f-bomb when he saw the poor little old lady who got all tore up in a car crash, or laughed nervously, because he was trying not to cry.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:32PM

Where I live, many private communities (including my own) have "no soliciting" covenants that mean everyone. I guess that the JW's and the Mo's have not cared to sue to get the rules overturned. That, or perhaps private communities are exempt. We take care of all of our own plowing, trash hauling, etc.

Date: December 17, 2011 02:44PM

The lawsuit is probably coming, probably not against you, but the JWs are probably searching the country for just the right HOA Board to make an example out of. (You know for people who sure do hate the evil satin controlled government, they are really good at using the devil's courts)

What probably really stops them is getting past the gate. Since it is a private identity, and not a government agency, the HOA can turn their car away, or not allow them to ride inside with their bikes unless they have an appointment. Most communities are smart enough to not have visitor parking outside the gate, and most JWs and Mormons are probably smart enough to know if they illegally park their vehicle outside the community to walk in another way, it won't be there when they come back.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:55PM

Many communities here have gates and guard houses. Mostly they go unmanned, unless the community is protecting its beach against nonresidents in the summertime. But my guess is if the JW's and the Mo's start testing those covenants, guards will quickly be slapped into the guard houses.

It could also be that the JW's and Mo's don't want to tick off the local residents, since "no soliciting" covenants are an established tradition around here.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 01:19AM

Very funny and effective! Believing hubby got a good laugh out of that one!!

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 01:33AM

The missionaries came to the door a few months ago. They started out with their song and dance, and I stopped them and said I wasn't interested and already knew about the church. They asked how much I knew, I said "enough" so I guess that wasn't enough for them, so they continued their song and dance. I told them "you know what? I'm not interested in taking the discussions, but I'll take a Book of Mormon" So they started going on about reading it with my heart and whatever, and I said ok, I'll take that book please, but I don't want a return visit. So they said they'd give it to me if I promised to read it, I said sure. They asked how they'd know if I read it, I said they'd just have to have faith. They handed over the book, and looked a bit stumped for what to say next, so I said thank you, good bye and shut the door.

It was a win-win, as far as I can tell. They got to hand out a book, and I got a perfect placeholder to fill the narrow spot between my books on one shelf and the bookend. Before this, they all sort of leaned to the left.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: December 18, 2011 02:07AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.