Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Passingby ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 05:34AM

Every TBM will tell you that you can't know their religion is false unless you've read it with an open mind. Of course causing the argument, if you have read it and still don't believe you are listed away as close minded. Who here has read the book of mormon with an open mind, and still found fault in this religion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 05:43AM

Read it more times then I can count. On the mission alone I probably read it 10-15 times.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 08:45AM

I read it believing it was true, having no reason to suspect it wasn't. But the more I read it the more WFT moments I had.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 06:36AM

I read it. It had misspelt words, whole passages copied from the bible (and the King James Version at that -- not published until 1611) and other problems. The most ridiculous part was the gold coinage description--

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 07:01AM

I read the Book of Mormon with a very open mind as a young adult because someone i loved and trusted had become mormon. I read it and wondered what the hell he saw in it. I read it again many many years later AND the Doctrine and Covenants. The D&C made me laugh out loud and I could not understand how anyone could read Joseph Smith telling people God said to build him a house and Emma, you accept my philanderings or you will be destroyed. And btw, no extra men for YOU.

That trusted friend who joined the church in 1970 is now my husband after many many years and now he knows the lds church is a fraud, too. And he was a member for 39 years.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 07:26AM

Read it all the way through first time in seminary. In fact I read it twice that year because I felt bad that I didn't have a real testimony so I read it hoping and asking to know that it was true. I felt nothing. I have read it several times since same lack of feeling, other than revulsion that it is so violent.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 07:55AM

My main difficulty with it was that despite it being called the most correct of any book, it caused a subconscious disconnect. Why was I not feeling the spirit when I was trying to be as obedient and doing my duties and paying my membership dues?

Not until I left the church and had done a great deal of study did I stumble across the answer- the church teachings are more closely tied to the King Follett Discourse and its associated teachings, which contradicts the BoM in so many ways.

So the church is completely true without exception, but the Book of Mormon is the keystone without which everything falls flat. Members are given two opposing absolutes upon which their faith is to be firmly rooted.

How does the church keep them grounded despite this? By creating a culture of conformity.

Posted by: marcionite ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 08:11AM

Read it many, many times. It never did ring true for me. I prayed a lot. No answer. If anything, the more I read it, the more it appeared to not be from God.

I actually wondered for awhile, that if it really was true, then God must be talking down to us and appealing to the less intelligent.

The most I can say in its favor is that parts of it seemed "jewish" or "hebraic" or whatever, but the nonsense seemed to outweigh the so-called proofs it was true. The spirt never told me it was true, I figured that God wasn't going to give me a witness because I either wasn't worthy, or he didn't think I needed one. Without a witness from the spirit that it was true, my rational mind told me it was a made up book.

The more I've compared it to real history, the more obvious it seems to be a pious fraud. Once I admitted it really was not true, then it all made sense.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 08:13AM

The book of mormon caused my departure from the church, because I finally read it with an open mind. the book is only true when you want it to be true.

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 08:32AM

I've read it at least 10 -15 times cover to cover and many more times out of sequence. At the age of 16 when I first read it I indeed thought it was a marvelous work and a wonder. I bought the whole thing as it was taught to me hook, line and sinker. As I kept reading and studying and doing everything else I was supposed to do my feelings began to change from "no man could ever write this book" to "well it is possible that a man could write this book" to "I'm so embarrassed I ever believed this book was anything but a work of fiction"

You won't believe the open mindedness it took to admit that I was wrong having dragged my non mormon family through a temple marriage a mission and pretty much only having friends inside the church.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:12AM

Read it at least a dozen time and taught for two years om my mission and many times in sunday school. The book of mormon is one of the primary reasons I lost belief in the LDS church. Its an obvious fraud if anyone is willing to look at it with an open honest mind, which is exactly what most active members are unwilling to do.

Posted by: wasafishinabowl ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:28AM

I read it with belief and conviction 18 times. Prayed and lived as a true blue Mormon most of my life. Lived in Mexico and toured the pyramids and looked at museums trying to find evidence of anything that would that was taught about the lamanites b/c I married one, so I thought.

I couldn't wrap my head around it when I read about the foods and animals and money and language. There was no evidence whatsoever. Nothing about a race warring against another. Nothing about reformed Egyption writings in the archeology findings. Nothing about a Zarahemla.

I was so disappointed at first, but then what tipped the scale for me was to read "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins". That was the end for me and I was glad to be free of the belief.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:30AM

I felt so incredibly different from everyone around me. I was looking for a place I could fit in. One of the places was the LDS church, I wanted to fit in. I read the BoM wanting to find a way I could believe and find a place I fit. Even wanting this, I couldn't believe the BoM.

Of course, now I know I felt so different because I was gay. Once I knew that, I found my answers and it is not in any holy book of scriptures.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:38AM

me

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:45AM

I read the book dozens of times as a Mormon. For the "fulness [sic] of the Gospel" the Mormon church claims it to be, it bears almost no resemblance to the Mormon religion. I don't think it even describes the priesthood. All it offers is the same "do what you're told or die" message over and over with a promise at the end that you can become brainwashed into this obedience cult too if you pray hard enough.

As for reading the book with an open mind, I certainly didn't. If I had had an open mind about the Book of Mormon, I wouldn't have stayed in the Mormon Church for 30 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 10:00AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:52AM

I read it cover to cover more than 5 times and studied specific portions for several years. Being opened minded is one thing, but I found that for me to believe it caused a disconnect from reality. To be open minded a person should read other things too.

People of the United States in the early nineteenth century began publishing many writings about Indian structures made of earth and the artifacts found inside. The most popular ideas to spread were those of an ancient advanced race of people who had built and accomplished remarkable things, a race of civilized people who disappeared before Columbus.

Often the blame for the extinction of this lost civilization was placed on the American Indian. The Indian was said to be too inferior to have built anything, and must have been the others who killed off a great nation.

Many people have realized that these ideas influenced the writing of the Book of Mormon. One Mormon scholar who recognized that influence was B. H. Roberts.

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no84.htm (Scroll down to see B. H. Robert's Doubts)

B. H. Roberts admitted that he had not fully considered the writings of Josiah Priest. The Wonders of Nature and Providence had been published in 1824 and printed later in Rochester, New York, only about 20 miles from Palmyra. This was six years before the Book of Mormon. Roberts acknowledged that he had not known about the works of Josiah Priest when he [Roberts] published his book The New Witness for God.

Even in the 21st century we find the LDS continuing this flawed theory of an ancient advanced race that disappeared. During the October 2009 General Conference the apostle Jeffrey Holland mentioned Mormon and Moroni weeping at the destruction of an entire civilization.

If the 19th century ideas were in error and the Book of Mormon was a product of those errors, it stands to reason that the LDS are believing a lie. The following is a collection of sources about the mound builders.

One of the earliest popular writings in the United States was:

Transactions and Collections of the American Antiquarian Society, Vol I., Worcester, Massachusetts; printed for the American Antiquarian Society by William Manning, 1820, pages 120, 121

"Antiquities of the People who formerly inhabited the Western Parts of the United States.
It is time to consider the third, last, and most highly interesting class of Antiquities, which comprehends those belonging to that people who erected our ancient forts and tumuli; those military works, whose walls and ditches cost so much labour in their structure, those numerous and sometimes lofty mounds, which owe their origin to a people far more civilized than our Indians, but far less so than Europeans.
They were once forts, cemeteries, temples, altars, camps, towns, villages, race grounds, and other places of amusement, habitations of chieftains, videttes, watch towers, monuments, &c."

From this publication, another book was printed which became a best seller:

American Antiquities, and Discoveries in the West, by Josiah Priest, Third Edition, 1833, pages 170 to 171
"A Description of Western Tumuli or Mounds.
We now proceed to a description of the ancient tumuli of the west, and of discoveries made on opening many of them; quoted from the Researches of the Antiquarian Society.
Ancient Tumuli are considered a kind of antiquities, differing in character from that of the other works; both on account of what is frequently discovered in them, and the manner of their construction. They are conical mounds, either of earth or stones, which were intended for sacred and important purposes. In many parts of the world, similar mounds were used as monuments, sepulchres, altars, and temples."

This fascination of earth works and the speculation of who built them became the subject of the first publication by the Smithsonian Institution. It was titled Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley, by Ephraim George Squier and Edwin Hamilton Davis in 1848. The book has scientific value because it documented locations and descriptions of hundreds of earth works. But even the authors thought an ancient advanced race had built these works.

Observations on the Aboriginal Monuments of the Mississippi Valley, by E. G. Squier From the Second Volume of the Transactions of the American Ethnological Society, 1847, Pages 5 to 6
"Aboriginal Monuments of the Mississippi Valley.
That the western portion of the United States, embraced within the great basin of the Mississippi River and its tributaries, abounds with rude but imposing monuments, the origin of which is lost in the obscurity of antiquity, is a fact generally known."

The origin of these structures was not "lost in the obscurity of antiquity". The writers of the 19th century failed to accurately consider the living American Indian. Also left out was the writings of previous centuries. The structures included many things. Burial mounds were only one aspect. Fortified walls of dirt and wood were common. Also trenches were used both around the villages and with each dwelling.

The American Antiquarian Society had published its first volume in 1820 and wrote about ancient forts, etc. Much less well known is that three years later in 1823 the United States Army, assisted by the Sioux, attacked the Aricara. This is known as the Leavenworth Expedition and can be read with all of the Army letters and documents. It was published in The South Dakota Historical Collections in 1902. It contains this:

“We found the Ricara Indians in two villages; the lower one containing seventy-one dirt lodges, and the upper village seventy dirt lodges; each village was enclosed with palisades or pickets, and a ditch; and the greater part of the lodges had a ditch around the bottom on the inside.”

While the American Antiquarian Society was making popular the idea of an ancient race of advanced builders, the United States Army at almost the same time was involved in a campaign against people who built and used these structures. Historical documents contain the truth that has been ignored. As I said, the 19th century writers left out previous centuries. Here are some of the earlier writings.

The Journey of Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca, Translated from his own Narrative, by Fanny Bandelier, 1905, pages 119 to 120
"They all are warriors and so astute in guarding themselves from an enemy as if trained in continuous wars and in Italy. When in places where their enemies can offend them, they set their lodges on the edge of the roughest and densest timber and dig a trench close to it in which they sleep. The men at arm are hidden by brushwood and have their loopholes, and are so well covered and concealed that even at close range they cannot be seen.
To the densest part of the forest they open a very narrow trail and there arrange a sleeping place for their women and children. As night sets in they build fires in the lodges, so that if there should be spies about, these would think the people to sleep there. And before sunrise they light the same fires again. Now, ditches, without being seen or discovered.
In case there are no forests wherein they can hide thus and prepare their ambushes, they settle on the plain wherever it appears most appropriate, surrounding the place with trenches protected by brushwood. In these they open loopholes through which they can reach the enemy with arrows, and those parapets they build for the night."

From the de Soto writings, Historical Collections of Louisiana, by B.F. French, Part II, Second Edition, 1850, pages 105 and 172

"We journeyed two days, and reached a village in the midst of a plain surrounded by walls, and a ditch filled with water, which had been made by the Indians. We approached it cautiously, and when we got near it, we saw the inhabitants going off. We entered it without any trouble, and took a few Indians.

Upon Wednesday, the 19th of June, 1541, the Governor entered into Pacaha. He lodged in the town, where the cacique used to reside, which was very great, walled, and beset with towers, and many loopholes were in the towers and wall. And in the town was great store of old maize, and great quantity of new in the fields. Within a league and a half a league were great towns all walled. Where the Governor was lodged was a great lake, that came near unto the wall; and it entered into a ditch, that went round about the town, wanting but a little to environ it around. From the lake to the great river was made a wear by which the fish came into it; which the cacique kept for his recreation and sport. With nets that were found in the town, they took as much as they would; and took they never so much, there was no want perceived."

The Conquest of Florida, by Hernando de Soto, by Theodore Irving, 1857, pages 261 to 262
"About eight o'clock in the morning of October the 18th [1540], they arrived before the village of Mauvila [located in south or central Alabama]. This was the stronghold of the cacique, where he and his principal men resided; and, being on the frontiers of his territories, it was strongly fortified. It stood in a fine plain, and was surrounded by a high wall formed of huge trunks of trees driven into the ground, side by side, and wedged together. These were crossed within and without by others smaller and longer, bound to them by bands made of split reeds and wild vines. The whole was thickly plastered over with a kind of mortar, made of clay and straw tranpled together, which filled up every chink and crevice of the wood-work, so that it appeared as if smoothed with a trowel. Throughout its whole circuit, the wall was pierced, at the height of a man, with loopholes, whence arrows might be discharged at an enemy, and at every fifty paces it was surmounted by a tower, capable of holding seven or eight fighting men. Numbers of the trees which had been driven into the ground had taken root, and flourished, springing up loftily out of the rampart, and spreading their branches above it, so as to form a circle of foilage around the village. There were but two gates at the place, one to the east, the other to the west. In the centre of the village was a large square, around which were erected the principal dwellings. The whole number of houses in the place did not exceed eighty, but they were of great size, capable of lodging from five to fifteen hundred persons each. They were built after the Indian fashion, not cut up into different rooms, but consisting simply of one great hall, like a church; and as they belonged either to the cacique or his principal subjects, they were constructed with more than usual skill."

From the French in Florida, Narrative of Le Moyne, An Artist who Accompanied the French Expedition to Florida, 1875.
"30. Construction of fortified towns among the Floridians.
The Indians are accustomed to build their fortified towns as follows: A position is selected near the channel of some swift stream. They level it as even as possible, and then dig a ditch in a circle around the site, in which they set thick round pales, close together, to twice the height of a man; and they carry this paling some ways past the beginning of it, spiral-wise, to make a narrow entrance admitting not more than two persons abreast. The course of the stream is also diverted to this entrance; and at each end of it they are accustomed to erect a small round building, each full of cracks and holes, and built, considering their means, with much elegance. In these they station as sentinels men who can smell the traces of an enemy at a great distance, and who, as soon as they perceive such traces, set off the discover the. As soon as they find them, they set up a cry which summons those within the town to the defence, armed with bows and arrows and clubs. The chief’s dwelling stands in the middle of the town, and is partly underground, in consequence of the sun’s heat. Around this are the houses of the principal men, all lightly roofed with palm-branches, as they are occupied only nine months in the year; the other three, as has been related, being spent in the woods. When they come back, they occupy their houses again; and, if they find that the enemy has burnt them down, they build others of similar materials. Thus magnificent are the palaces of the Indians."

"40. Ceremonies at the death of a chief or of priests.
When a chief in that province dies, he is buried with great solemnities; his drinking-cup is placed on the grave, and many arrow are planted in the earth about the mound itself. His subjects mourn for him three whole days and nights, without taking any food. All the other chiefs, his friends, mourn in like manner; and both men and women, in testimony of their love for him, cut off more than half their hair. Besides this, for six months afterwards certain chosen women three times every day, at dawn, noon, and twilight, mourn for the deceased king with a great howling. And all his household stuff is put into his house, which is set on fire, and the whole burned up together.
In like manner, when their priests die, they are buried in their own houses; which are then set on fire, and burned up with all their furniture."

I have shown writings at the time of Joseph Smith and historic writings from the earliest explorers into the region of the United States. Now consider that eleven years after the Book of Mormon had been published, and eight years after Josiah Priest published his American Antiquities, George Catlin published his observations among the living American Indian.

Letters and Notes on the Manners, Customs, and Condition of the North American Indian, by Geo. Catlin, volume II, 1841 page 260
“And as evidence in support of my opinion that they came from the banks of the Ohio, and have brought with them some of the customs of the civilized people who erected those ancient fortifications, I am able to say, that the numerous specimens of pottery which have been taken from the graves and tumuli about those ancient works, (many of which may be seen now, in the Cincinnati Museum, and some of which, my own donations, and which have so much surprised the enquiring world,) were to be seen in great numbers in the use of the Mandans; and scarcely a day in the summer, when the visitor to their village would not see the women at work with their hands and fingers, moulding them from black clay, into vases, cups, pitchers, and pots, and baking them in their little kilns in the sides of the hill, or under the bank of the river.”

There was no ancient, lost civilization. The Book of Mormon is based on false ideas. The mounds of North America were fully covered in 1894 by the Smithsonian, in the Twelfth Annual Report of the Bureau of Ethnology. This entire publication was about the mounds. It was the most exhaustive and complete writings put together, and should have ended once and for all any notions of a lost civilization. It gives a much more accurate and correct understanding of the American Indian than any of those earlier works of fiction, but few people today have read it.

It was limited to the region of the United States and apologists might attempt to argue the Meso-America geography and claim that the mound people were the others. To that possibility I would reply that they need to read the Twenty-fifth Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology, 1907. This publication contained a writing titled: Certain Antiquities of Eastern Mexico, by Jesse Walter Fewkes. It addressed mounds in Mexico that had not been included in the Twelfth Annual Report. Apologists who attempt to isolate Mexico and Central America from the region of the United States must do so by ignoring facts.

Jeffrey Holland said: "if he or she leaves this Church, it must be done by crawling over or under or around the Book of Mormon to make that exit." 19th century falsehoods perpetuated in the 21st century do not require crawling to get to the truth!

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:09AM

I believe I've read it cover to cover about 19 times. The last time was when I was still TBM and it was 2006, the year GBH challenged everyone to read it. I finished up on New Year's eve. Truthfully, no BS, I remember thinking that it didn't ring true. The stories were so amatuerish. Ammon cutting off the arms defending the kings flocks. The cycle of good to bad to good reoccurring within about 2 years, always with punishment when bad and blessings when good. Life is just not like that...

Posted by: marcionite ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 11:24AM

I wanted it to be true. I looked so hard for proof it was divine. I kept finding things that disproved it. Finally I gave up on it. It wasn't long after that I quit attending.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:11AM

Verily I say unto you, I read it with an open mind, reading it slowly and digesting what I read. But so it came to pass, I finished the book with a strong testimony of its fictitious origins.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:27AM

of the book on the reader's FEELINGS.

A sincere and righteous reader will KNOW it's true.

Someone who doesn't believe or doesn't get an answer isn't trying hard enough, isn't sincere enough, or isn't righteous enough.

It's just like the emperor's clothes.

I'm not going to try to impress you by telling you how many times I read it or fasted and prayed about it. Because it doesn't MATTER. If I HAD gotten a burning in my bosom and tears in my eyes over it, it wouldn't have made the book true.

There is enough actual evidence that it was a fabrication, that all the testimonies in the world are not going to explain away the archaeological, dna, and many other evidences against the Book of Mormon.

Testimonies tell me more about the person bearing it, and human nature, than the thing they supposedly KNOW.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:39AM

I read it at least a dozen times as a believer, and felt it was true blue, through and through, with every fiber of my being. Now I read it and I can't seem to get through it anymore because I'm so disgusted at what I find. Especially reading the original 1830 version.

Like one TBM said in sacrament meeting, "you have to have an open heart." An open mind will scream at you that it's a work of fiction.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 11:17AM

The Book of Mormon's presentation of human interactions as being mostly the rapid cycling of violence and peace, with violence dominating struck me as adolescent.

There's no depth to it. The characters are all two-dimensional.

The author reveled in violence and in war games. It's one thing to write about violence, it's another to get off on violence so much that you can't wait to introduce the next blood bath.

The writing style was inconsistent and/or plagiaristic.

Threatening one's reader with damnation if they don't like one's writings is one way to try to build a fan base.

Ultimately, the BoM is boring.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 11:28AM

Very true, though I did find the characters of Nephi, Laman and Lemuel to be 3-dimensional in their interactions. Of course I had to side with Laman and Lemuel to see this. Perhaps this was an early step to learning that TSCC is a fraud. Later I saw how Joseph may have drawn from his own family and experiences, and I'm still siding with Laman and Lemuel.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 11:34AM

more times than anyone in my family, more times than my TBM daughter, more times than my TBM friends--and it wasn't the BofM that made it all fall apart. I just tried to believe it all. I had a huge investment in it.

My life experience was COMPLETELY the reason I left the church. I knew a lot of things--but not nearly all of them--but as my exmo therapist says, "We tested mormonism to its limits and it failed us." Yep--I could care less about the BofM.

Posted by: Silly Sally ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:26PM

A friend of mine gave me a Book Of Mormon as a graduation gift. I didn't want it, but took it to be nice. I avoided it for a long time and then decided to see what the hub-bub was all about. I opened it to the front page and instantly felt sick to my stomach and my chest started to hurt. I closed it and put it back on my bookshelf (with the title to the back so I didn't have to see it.) After I closed the book, I felt better. Same thing happened the next time I tried to open it. That was enough for me. She asked me a few months after giving it to me if I read it. I told her the truth. I felt like God was telling me to not read it. I told her about the sick feeling and chest pain. She responded that it was Satan trying to keep from reading it. I told her we would never see eye-to-eye on that issue. I thought it was ironic. They tell you to go with your feels and then tell you those feelings are wrong.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:28PM

It is so ridiculous and obviously plagiarized that it is the biggest albatross around the collective neck of the church.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:40PM

I have read the B of M cover to cover ten times. Every time was accompanied with fervent prayer and a desire to know that it was true. What I got from all that time reading? Absolutely nothing. That was one of the reasons I left. It led me to searching for answers as to why I was not receiving that witness and that searching led me straight out of the morg.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:41PM

Read it several times, because I just couldn't wrap my mind around what was so wonderful about it, and how the mormon church had built a whole religion around it.

I was shocked when I realized how much the bible had been plagiarized. Also it was puzzling to me where the mormon religion was in that book. I couldn't find it. None of it made any sense to me.

I also had a problem with the church demanding we never see an R rated movie, but the bom had worse stuff in it than any movie i've ever seen.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:46PM

... it was a complete waste of time.

On more than one occasion even.

Twain said it best.

Timothy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:48PM

It's the old "you can't know cancer is bad unless you have it" argument.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:56PM

The church uses it as evidence that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. It doesn't matter what the book says, only that a supposedly unlearned boy brought it forth by the power of God.

You see backpedalling by the church all the time regarding its contents and its peoples, and yet they insist that it is completely true. This would indicate that the book is not seen so much as a scripture as it is a sign of the church's cute little authority-poo.

Posted by: Bob...not registered ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 01:04PM

I took the extra step and actually completed reading the BoM on my mission in Japanese. Many missionaries set the goal, but few complete it. I did.

Anyway, I tried very hard to get a testimony of the BoM on my mission, and the closest I got was, "I testify that you will be happy if you follow the righteous teachings in this book."

That was an honest statement.

Otherwise, complete fraud.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 01:05PM

was as open-minded as I could hope to be. And for a time I took the book on faith. Now I think it's complete fiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 01:05PM by badseed.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 01:11PM

Reading it is EXACTLY why I realized it was a fraud. I was intrigued by the religion, was open to converting -and reading the Book of Mormon was what told me it was a bad idea.

The fact that the missionaries were surprised during one of the conversion conversations that I'd read it cover to cover didn't help matters, either.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 01:16PM

Does that count?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.