Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:51AM

sorry if this has already been posted.

his letter to ward members:
http://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/letter-to-ward-members-re-resignation-as-their-bishop/

his letter to the stake president (goes more in-depth into why he quit):
http://stevebloor.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/resignation-letter-as-bishop/

the highlights:
"My research has only involved studying church history and commentary, Mormon and Ex-Mormon Intellectual websites and not “evangelical Christian anti-Mormon lies.”
I didn’t realise for instance that Joseph Smith practised polygamy, and was married to 33 women, most under the age of 20, one as young as 14. That some of Joseph’s wives were already married to other men when he married them; a practice called polyandry. All of these facts can be confirmed by a simple look at the church’s own website, familysearch.org.

I didn’t know that all polygamous marriages were illegal in the USA. Yet we believe in “Obeying, honouring and sustaining the law. “

I have learnt an awful lot about the church which the General Authorities, though accepting as true, refuse to tell the general membership for fear of destroying faith!

There are many other issues, like; there are several accounts of the First Vision and Joseph Smith’s initial personal journal entry about the First Vision didn’t include seeing God the Father and Jesus Christ, but an angel. Then over the years the story got embellished till it changed to what we have today. Yet I was told it was the most momentous event to occur in this dispensation. Why didn’t Joseph initially record it correctly? And there are so many other things that have just dissolved my faith to the point I can no longer bear a testimony of the truthfulness of this church or even God."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 05:52AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:12AM

I hope he comes here and pays us a visit.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 12:41AM

yah that would be nice.

wow, this exit story tracks right down a very familiar path.
(not to discount any one's awakening & exit, just enjoying the continuing reactions of honest ppl to the facts about the filthy scam of MORmONISM as they are revealed )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36B-c58_WPo

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:17AM

It remains good news, though, although I'm sure that most in his flock were simply told that the bishop had "lost the spirit."

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:41AM

I am glad he's finally come clean about it.

I recall reading his blog back in April (I discovered a poster there from my first LDS ward - Geoff Derrett - someone who was a real hardcore TBM and someone I could never imagine leaving 'the flock'............he was posting as an ex-mo)

I just wish more people would follow suit

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:43AM

Official local Mormon spin - Bishop Steve Bloor:
a. was offended
b. wanted to sin
c. lost his fight with same sex attraction
d. had his heart hardened by anti-mormon material
e. Mormonism is hard for lazy people to live

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:21PM

The church started a rumor. They told his congregation he had a nervous break down. He showed up to tell them good-bye and to show that he was just fine. He is full of courage. I hope he comes here and tells his story.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:23PM

I'm in England and that name rings a bell, though I don't know him.

Mind you, there are no more than two degrees of seperation between 95% of the members in the UK, and the other 5% are new converts who haven't left yet. I'm bound to know somebody who knows him personally.

Date: December 20, 2011 12:28PM

He's from Helston

Posted by: Feijoade ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 02:14PM

After it became known publicly that I no longer believed what J. Smith had proclaimed on just about everthing, a member whom I had "home taught", clobbered the back of my head with a fist, in public.

I could have asked for her arrest. But why bother? So many Mormons are simple-minded zombie believers who fear eternal banishment from a loving, cosmic deceiver, their Mormon god.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:44PM

but when members or even leadership outside of Utah leaves, it is dismissed by a lot of members. I know for my family that lives in Utah, this would be a huge deal if it was a well known area in a Utah ward, but because it is outside of America most just blame the person, and could care less as they all talk about their "crazy" mission experiences of members in other parts of the world and their strange traditions, etc.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 04:28AM

Exactly. If it doesn't revolve around Utah, quite frankly it really doesn't matter to the members (unfortunately).

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:48PM

If I remember correctly, this individual originally posted his story & exit letters on a Blogger blog earlier this year, & had to remove it. I'm glad that he decided to repost his story oj a new blog with a different host.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:56PM

Yes I was thinking the same thing too. I give that guy a lot of credit and respect for what he did.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:59PM

Good for him! He proved for himself that JS was not a prophet. That's all it takes for the house of cards to fall.

My research of freemasonry toppled the cards in my case. The "First Vision" account lifted nearly intact from masonic lore. So many parallels between masonry and mormonism - the more you study masonry, the two begin to blur together.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 06:54PM

Outcast, where did you read about the first vision a rip-off of masonry? Sounds fascinating and I'd like to read that...

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 02:23PM

That man is my hero :D
May we see many more bishops, stake presidents, branch presidents, relief society presidents, etc. shake off the koolaid and leave the cult. Not to mention their family members, friends.......I wanna hear weeping, wailing, and the gnashing of teeth in SLC ;)

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 01:13AM

Plus much more than +1!

Amazing man!

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 04:04PM

I know of at least 2 who have been full-time Mission Presidents who are now exmos. I know of at least a dozen men who have been Bishops who are now exmos. When I went "exmo" I was a Bishopric counselor. Of those serving with me the Ward Executive Secretary, other Counselor, Elders Quorum Prez, and High Council advisor have all since left the church.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:38PM

Hope he writes a book and speaks to many in public - how about before the election.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:10PM

typical TBM BS bearing testimonies and making unwarranted assumptions.

The worst being the appearance of Mike Ash unleashing a typical blizzard of mopologist BS.

Posted by: Kiribati ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 10:34PM

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 01:24AM

Someone should invite him to this board...

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 09:59AM

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 02:28AM

I wonder if any church member got this letter. I bet not. I wish him well. I'm sure he's deeeeply entrenched in the mormon faith as am I. It'll be a hard road to journey. The road is very empty.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 11:51AM

Imo I don't think it will be long before something like this happens in Utah. BUT the people will just blame it on "Satan working harder than ever" but I think that is such craziness because most people who realize the church is a scam is from educating themselves NOT from turning to crime, drugs, etc.

Silly people

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 03:24PM

I'm so thankful he was willing to go public, and find it pathetic that the presidency felt they had to gag him, and lie to his former ward.

Date: December 21, 2011 03:37PM

It's another shinning example of the way church leadership responds when they feel threatened.
They use your family against you to silence you, and do their bidding.
They know it won't take much to take the whole show down.
A few well liked leaders quitting, and making it public, is their worst nightmare.
Thanks to the internet, they can no longer silence people.
The old tactic of destroying their character, isn't going to work for them anymore, as more and more members aren't from Utah and don't depend on the church for their livelihood.
They are losing the control they had in the past.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 06:08PM

Firstly, may I express how much it bugs me when people start their letters with "firstly." Otherwise, glad he put his resignation in writing and spread the word.

Posted by: iscreamsunday ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 06:25PM

loved this quote so much "I would rather accept the uncomfortable truth than a comforting fantasy", that I added in my fb, as favorite quotes.

So true, and yet, so many prefer the fantasy that they will make their heads spin and put their hands over their ears to prevent themselves from hearing a fact that may jeopardize it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.