Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:43AM

6 ex LDS Missionaries who left to become Born again Christians

The most interesting point was when they came out to their families about their unbelief, some of the family members professed that they had been only hanging on to make their children or siblings stay active. Some parents confessed to their children that they had not believed in years !!

I wonder how many more closet unbelievers are only hanging in to impress or influence their family members, Siblings, Spouses, Parents ,Children .etc.

**QUESTION -- DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE ANY IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS WHO PORTRAY ULTRA TBM, BUT ARE REALLY CLOSET UNBELIEVERS !!!

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:37AM

There was one BIL who was having major doubts. As soon as I told his TBM wife I didn't believe, she was excited to tell him because he needed someone to talk to. I was surprised she WANTED him to have some support. He eventually left the church.

I think when a family member "comes out" as an unbeliever, people who don't believe are anxious to finally have someone to talk to. And those who DO believe are anxious to take a stand and bear testimonies.

Once people know you don't believe, they don't usually feel the need to pretend anymore.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 09:19AM

...who seem to be hanging in there without total belief. I suspect it's mostly due to family and social pressures.

I have an unproved theory. If only about 25% of members worldwide are active, there's a good chance that only 25% of active members actually believe the whole ball of wax. The rest are there to keep peace in the family, to keep social standing or whatever.

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 03:43PM

I wonder how many of the ex missionaries that became "born again christians" went the uber route like Kirk Cameron did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.