Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 03:39PM

Do they do this with all inactives? There's a 'heartfelt invitation to me and my family to join in humble worship and celebration of the birth of our saviour' inside too. I don't know what to make of it, is it a kind gesture or a ploy to get me back to church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 03:42PM

Yes. They believe in the Holy MakGoodies Priesthood. They will tempt you with delicious morsels and attempt to lead you back to the everlasting covenant of the bakers hat. Do not be swayed by their wiley charms and sweet sugary goodness.

Stay firm sister and yeild not to the yeast filled prizes.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 03:43PM

It's both. They think they're doing a good deed and never stop to think for even a moment how the recipient is going to react to such a ridiculous item left on their doorstep.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:55PM

Homemade goodies coupled with a "heartfelt" invitation to go back to church are given with a single-minded goal of reactivation.

There is absolutely no interest or concern as to what might be best for Elaine Dalton!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 03:50PM

It's both! It's a whipping cream --AND--a floor wax!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:39PM

As if you were a shut-in or poor. It's one of the Principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so don't try to get out of it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:49PM

If you know who sent it, go get a gift basket full of coffee and alcohol, leave it on their doorstep with a heartfelt invitation to return to real life and join in with the rest of world to become fully human again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 05:50PM by CA girl.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:51PM

Why would you want to wast coffee and booze? That would be damn near criminal.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:44PM

Just buy 'em the cheap sh1t.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:12AM

As far back as I can recall, my mother was RS Prez. A more pretentious, self righteous, lunatic TBM could not be found anywhere outside the skidmark.

Even when she was told point blank to "leave us alone", she knew better.

She did food dumps all the time. She'd figure out when they weren't home to deliver the goods. (I know, I drove.)

Got in trouble a couple of times, but it did no good. The bishops were afraid of her.

300 lbs and strong as an ox, she coulda' kicked all their a$$es.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 06:06PM

"a heartfelt invitation to return to real life"

I am laughing so hard.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 06:08PM

....and all I have to do is give ten percent plus other contributions, plus clean buildings, plus free labor, plus give up coffee and wine, plus give up Sundays, plus give up my peace mind, plus give up free thinking ...and I can be friends with you? No thanks. Keep your g*^d^%% cookies.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:19PM

What's that??

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:25PM

We are having a bit of a problem with that right now. Today someone left a package on a doorstep and in came the bomb squad. Turns out it was a "kitchen appliance".

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:43PM

If it's actual food, then do one of two things. Donate it to a local food charity, or calculate the money you saved on your next grocery run, and buy more beer with the savings.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:09PM

Be careful...better double check- those could be hampers full of janitorial supplies so you can go clean their restrooms

C
T
R

Date: December 22, 2011 11:39PM

That's another thing. The church used to have a really great program where they would help developing disabled members by giving them janitorial jobs in the church. Then a decade ago, they fire all of them, and replace them with members who are guilted into giving up even more of their free time to clean the building. When you consider how much the church makes off of tithing, and doesn't return to the wards, there is no excuse for this outrage.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:31PM

What is that all about?

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:35PM

of cleaning supplies, unwrapped.

can they be more provincial

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 11:41PM by steve benson.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:56PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:10AM

If you hear it ticking, it's the love bomb.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:23AM

We haven't received jacksh!t from any of our TBM neighbors so far this year. Usually they bring treats, not that I'm complaining. We don't need anything. It is just kind of weird.

Posted by: SerentiySeeker ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:50AM

Homemade food creeps me out. Moms in their kitchen with 12 snotty kids...eewwww!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:55AM

Don't know why exactly but this thread made me smile a lot. :)

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:18AM

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate it! There's no handmade crap, thank god. Just christmassy food; chocolate, nuts etc.
My nevermo mother doesn't understand the love bombing thing, she thinks the church think we are some sort of charity case, why else would they leave masses of food lol.

Date: December 23, 2011 01:24AM

Then keep it as partial payback for all that tithing the church stole from you over the years.

One nice thing about living in the south, distance between Mormon neighbors is great enough that they are much too lazy to launch a love bomb campaign. That, and I think that since I was single and childless when I left, the church didn't really see any value in me.

Posted by: SingleMom ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 10:41AM

You know what's really awesome? I've been getting food hampers from a local (not Mormon) church, with no note, attached, no pressure, no cards... It's the gesture that means so much.

I know which church it is because they do it every year. In the past, they'd call and ask what my kids clothing sizes were, but my kids are now adults. They they just leave the hamper with food and small gifts and it's so sweet, I really appreciate it. I want to pay it forward myself now to someone else as a result.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 11:13AM

I was wondering what the point of it was. We've been out for over 10 years.

Being singled out for this (actually, I found out that somewhere around 5 people got a similar basket) means we were discussed and deemed in need of help, attention, or "fellowshipping".

How do they THINK it's going to feel to get a package from people who (however nice they may be) you don't really know? It doesn't feel good. It feels awkward. And I feel bad that somebody who actually might need help and who makes a contribution to the ward didn't get it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:09PM

Put it on a member's door step.
There are a lot of these kinds of things done this time of year. If you don't want it, pay it forward. Share the kindness with someone who really needs the food.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.