Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 05:06PM

I think DH forgot it was Sunday and ran off to take a nap after our big Christmas breakfast. We were happy enough to hang out and watch Harry Potter while he rested. However, a FB friend of mine from the ward mentioned that in the ward, the choir sang and it was "something to behold" and that it was all she could do not to laugh. Brave girl - she's friends with several other ward members. I wonder how other ward's unexpected worship of the Savior on the actual day of Christmas went over. Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: misfit ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 09:54PM

I went to a ward in Sandy today w/ DW & the inlaws. It was aactually kind of nice. 90% singing of christ-centered christmas hymns by the choir w/ a little bit of narration(luke 2, et al, you know, all the typical bible mythology of western civilation's favorite judeo-roman hybrid god) in between songs. It went well except for the last 10 minutes when some poor sap came up to give a talk after the choir program. His thoughts were disjointed, and he was nervous. I could only imagine the busy week he must have had, and having the pressure to have to give a talk added on top of all the baggage that comes with this time of year. I think if the sacrament program had stopped after the choir was finished, it would have been great. But someone had the bright idea to load a member of the ward with a sacrament meeting talk on christmas day.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 09:58PM

I don't think they would have gone if DW hadn't had to sing. It was an hour and a half right at the wrong time of morning. We had to hold breakfast and gift-giving until they got back. TSCC strikes again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 09:58PM by cludgie.

Posted by: girl incognito not logged ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:25PM

I went, only because I was asked to perform. I actually liked it. There was an instrumental duet from Handels Messiah. Entire service only 45 minutes long. No testimonies or long winded boring talks, straight scripture only. Wish it could always be this way! (i attend out of love for tbm spouse)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:03PM

No, but I spent a good part of the day at my TBM sisters house, and even played a board game with the missies and one of their golden investigators. Poor girl is a great person, but suffers anxiety issues about leaving the house. Perfect prey for the Mormon vultures. I was doing my best to be fun and civil in the hopes that she will feel comfortable enough to ask me in private what I think about the church.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:09PM

I didn't, but my large TBM family did. It was one hour only at 11AM. They reported our California ward was packed to the back wall and that the Christmas music was beautiful. My Christmas nap was also beautiful... we had opened gifts and had breakfast earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 11:10PM by george.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:34PM

No. Went to a Christian church. Bell choir, adult choir, professional organist, beautiful paintings on the wall. It was uplifting.

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:40PM

i walked in, discovered it was the same lame program they have had for the past two years, turned around and walked right back out the door.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 11:51PM

I didn't, I was too tired. But I felt guilty for not going, I still feel a bit guilty. Yep, it's not as easy to deprogram oneself.

D

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:17AM

I did not go to any church service and it felt great. I was with my love and we slept in and made each other feel great!!

Posted by: marisa ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:28AM

I went with family. It was a small ward, and the organist was sick. Our extended family had something like eight people who could play piano or organ there. They drew straws. Seventeen-year-old niece drew short straw and had to play organ and accompany choir. She's good enough that she didn't break a sweat. Program was lame but not too long.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 05:40AM

I did. I texted friends and Facebooked my way through. From the brief bits I heard of the meeting it was the usual load of old twaddle.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 09:24AM

1 hour service. Joseph Smith only mentioned once - but that was once too many.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 01:47PM

There was a guy who sang ALL SEVEN VERSES of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" right in the middle of the Christmas service at my ward! GGGRRRR.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 09:47AM

Mmmmmmmmm, pajamas.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 10:11AM

Went with DH. Good music, they deviated from the hymns in the book. It was combined with three wards and the overflow filled 1/3 of the cultural hall. music was nice, narration was lacking a good narrator. It went on for 1 1/2 hours!

My DH just recently told a few of his friend's that I go to a different church now, so when they saw me they cried, gave me a hug, and said it was wonderful to see me at church.

I'm still too chicken to tell everyone, so if the subject comes along I don't hide it. I drink coffee openly in public places so if someone sees me they'll figure it out. (It's banned from the home).

The best part of Christmas for our family was that we passed out coats we purchased at the thrift store to homeless people on the street (my 8 year old DD idea) and then served dinner at the homeless shelter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.