Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 08:17PM

When my husband and I were looking for a place to live in Utah...

(God this is embarrassing)

We made a show of kneeling down and praying for the Lord to let us know if this was the place we were "supposed to be." This was all fake-fake-fakety-fake just to convince the owners that we were good enough to be tenants.

This worked well several times.

Anagrammy
(wincing)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 08:20PM

Lol.

While I appreciate your sense of embarrassment, I also think it is pretty funny. I mean, if a landlord is going to use something like that to make a business decision, they deserve what they get.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 08:35PM

I think that is spectacularly funny. Proper behavior does not make for great stories later.

Date: December 27, 2011 08:41PM

True enough. My life as a furious mormon housewife. It is a Towering Inferno of embarrassing episodes. Providing endless laughter at family get - togethers. Remember the time Mom dressed me as....

Seriously, that peculiar people business went to my brain.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 08:42PM

All's fair when acquiring a place to live!

Someday I will write the story of selling our house in NY. Pure hell it was.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:40PM

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 02:46PM

This is hilarious.

I still use the mormon missionary angle when it serves my purposes. Call me a hipocrite. I call it getting paid...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:21PM

In college I admitted to a TBM RM friend that I didn't believe in mormonism and would probably leave it.

She said I needed to sit down and have the full set of mishie discussions because they are so very wonderful and would make be want to stay in the church. She said she'd converted many investigators because she did the lessons so well.

For my taste she used lighting, music, an artificial earnest tone of voice, and too much eye contact and shoulder pats. I didn't want to hurt her feelings but didn't like choking out canned answers and submitting to pure manipulation. I think I probably made an excuse of being hungry or having a headache to cut the discussion short. After that I said I'd study on my own and never scheduled another discussion.

That kind of drama sometimes works but can also backfire for someone who isn't easily swayed.

I'm glad it worked for you at the time. The landlords probably felt enriched and gratified so no harm done.

Posted by: skier ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:47PM

That is really funny! You are even more hardcore than my wife and I. 20 years ago, we felt guilty for showing up to a rental application appointment, dressed up for church and upon seeing the lessor (who appeared to be TBM) and the other applicants (dressed frumpy and wearing short shorts), knew we had no competition. Turned out we didn't really even have to apply. Talk about housing discrimination!

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:56PM

As a sophomore in high school, we were having a testimony meeting in my class. I got up and called the class to repentance.

Twice.

*shudder*

If I saw my 16 year old self right now, I'd punch him in the neck.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:59PM

It's such a relief to see things in our pasts as funny than to carry them as burdens. Laughter, good medicine and all that!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:55PM

Hanging my BYU sports jerseys in the car to avoid speeding tickets in Utah County?

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 05:03PM

Nope, that's worse. Much worse. ;)

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 09:32PM

Anagrammy, the church used you and you got even by using the church. Good for you!

Date: December 28, 2011 09:35PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.