Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 10:24PM

No doubt he did the right (yet worldly) thing to ease the burden on the members, but...

http://www.kued.org/productions/promontory/script/page_4.html

[Joseph Young]
"I wish to know whether it is the intention of this company to keep President Young out of three-fourths of a million dollars. If so, the Union Pacific will swindle the very men who built the railroad. Remember, the road is out in our country, and I think we can pull hard enough so you can feel it on the other end!"

[Bain]
"At one point one of the board members threatened Young that he was going to have the army descend on Utah and take out the LDS command. And Young replied that he would go to the courts, and he said if its necessary, then this will be a fight to the knife."

Narrator:
Brigham Young viewed the threat of military intervention as an excuse for anti-Mormon forces to destroy the Kingdom of God in the American West. "He put John Sharp. . .a lawyer, Mormon church leader and railroad contractor. . .in charge of negotiations with the Union Pacific. Brigham also worked to quell the fears of financial panic in the Utah territory.

He suspended church tithing payments by indebted members. . .used church food storehouses to feed the hungry. ..and urged his followers to put cooperation above profit and debt."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toppity ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 06:06PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 07:48PM

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 08:01PM

That's one incident that I don't understand; IIRC, B. Young did get ripped off, and sent his son to plead for redress, but in the end he uncharacteristically wimped out. There must have been something going on behind the scenes.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 12:15AM

That's what she said.

I couldn't help myself.

Plus with Brigham, there are so many she's to say things.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 06:25PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.