Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mycroft_Jones ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:16PM

Chapel cleaning in the prison ward that we do not attend anymore was automatically arranged alphabetically by last name. Last time the prison ward cleaning jailer called and said our time had come, I told him that we would definitely not be cleaning the chapel. In talking with him a little more he said that he had another list for people who really don't want to clean or who won't come and clean the chapel, I immediately said to sign me up for that list because I'm not going to clean the chapel. Well, he didn't honour his agreement and he called back a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately, for me, talked with my wife (who's on the fence regarding prison wardism). My wife thinks it's kind of a good idea for our family to go and clean because it will be a great opportunity for our kids to learn about service. I know, I know, it's not really service when it's about a many billion dollar corporation being cheapskate with cleaning services. Before quitting the prison ward cold turkey, I was the financial clerk and our prison ward alone brought in almost $750,000 in tithing and fast offerings with two other similar sized prison wards in the building - they could pay for professional cleaning with only a small percentage of that. I really don't want to clean the chapel, but it could provide for some good anti-mormon missionary moments. What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: misfit ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:30PM

Time is your most valuable asset. Don't let the cleaning warden steal it from you.

Posted by: Tommy Monson ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:43PM

May you be blessed while serving the Lord in this capacity. What a small token of our appreciation this is as compared to the sacrifice Jesus made by dying, coming back to life, and restoring the gospel through his beloved Prophet Joseph Smith. May your heart be filled with gratitude and humility as you reflect upon the principle while Cleaning The Restrooms (CTR). By doing so, you show Our Heavenly Father your love along with paying a full tithe and by fulfilling all of your callings. You will gain a fervent testimony of how the Lord has lightened your burdens, helped you find your car keys, and prepared you for the life to come.

This I leave with you, even in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 12:38AM

"cleaning the restrooms"

That actually made me LOL - I will remember that from now on

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:49PM

I had dinner the other night with a lapsed Mormon friend of mine (who lurks on RfM but as of yet hasn't posted, although he says he wants to once he figures out how to use his new computer).

He informed me that his home teacher recently (meaning the end of November) left a voice message that the ward home teaching program was being changed in ways to, well, clean up its act.

That change, the home teacher relayed in the message, was that on occasion the home teacher would invite all his assigned families to go to the local ward house, where they would meet up, then clean it up.

My friend said this sparkling new wrinkle in the home teaching program would mean that instead of 12 monthly visits to the homes of an assigned family, twice a year or so the home teacher would dutifully assemble at the ward house with the sheep placed under his care for an edifying experience in spiritual sudsing.

My friend said that his home teacher pitched the new program by describing it as an opportunity for "service."

My friend was flabbergasted by the news and, just to make sure, contacted members of his extended family in the area to see if, in fact, this was the Mormon Church's new approach to home teaching. He said he was informed that, indeed, this ward house worker bee Janitors-for-Jesus initiative was being implemented as a periodic replacement during the calendar year for the traditional home teaching visit to family homes.

I asked my friend what he thought of this development. With an irritated look on his face and in a slightly raised voice (we were at a restaurant), he replied that his personal idea of service was not to clean the property of "a multi-billion dollar corporation."

He added that his wife's reaction was likewise less than enthusiastic. She noted that this meant people bringing along their kids--which meant that they would simply run around out of control. (His wife works in the Young Woman's program, so couldn't be described as a slouch).

I asked my friend how he responded to his home teacher's invitation to join him and the other assigned families in an inspiring adventure of group ward house cleaning.

He said he simply ignored this inner-cleansing call to service. He also said that he didn't expect any resistance from his hometeacher, describing the HT as a laidback kind of guy who, when he made his visits to their home, only knocks, doesn't come in and sometimes brings along goodies.

There you have it--another prophetic initiative to protect Morg profitability.

Come to church, brothers and sisters, and scrub the bathrooms.

Home teaching: Isn't it about slime?

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon634.htm
_____

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 05:28PM

My dh heard this as well, although as yet they've not implemented it in our ward. I asked his thoughts on it and he said, "Good luck with that."

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 06:45PM

Hahahahahaha. Funny Steve!

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 06:46PM by shannon.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 09:51PM

Ha ha...I loved the punch line, Steve.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:49PM

I said this before, but before the church started having members clean ward buildings, they had a wonderful program that employed needy people to do it. I believe janitors were actually hired through the Bishop's storehouse. Most of the church janitors in my area were people who had disabilities that would keep them from getting regular work. These were the people the church threw under the bus when they suddenly fired them a decade ago, and mandated that members "volunteer" time to clean the buildings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:55PM

Have you had enough? If you don't draw a line in the sand, the LDS church would be more than happy to give you additional tasks to do on top of the cleaning. The church leaders don't care about providing services to the members. Haven't they made that abundantly clear?

Of course the church has more than enough money to provide for custodians. Most other Christian churches pay for custodians and also ministers, assitant ministers, youth workers, administrative assistants, organists, etc. Many churches do that on far less than $750,000, never mind the combined income of your three wards (Google "church budget" if you don't believe me!)

The LDS church counts on members bowing their heads and saying yes, no matter how shabbily those members are treated. Why, so the church can pour more money into the City Creek Mall? Doesn't your time and that of your family have some value as well?

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 02:48PM

You know, cleaning the chapel is what got me thinking why and now here I am.

However, I'd say don't do it, why give them free labour. Let the chapel be dirty, maybe someone will reconsider the whole cleaning thing.

And also, your kids will probably enjoy spending their Saturday morning with you on other activities and not the church.

Just my thoughts. Good luck,

D

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 03:39PM

Be sure your kids understand they are paying for privilege of getting to clean. Tithing first, then cleaning. This may even be a moment of clarity for your wife.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 03:58PM

Someone needs to "shank" that prison ward cleaning jailer if he calls again.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 04:13PM

Call senior citizen centers and see if they need help with filling grocery bags for elderly shutins living on social security.

It shouldn't be difficult to find something better than cleaning a mormon church.

You could be helpful to hand out garbage bags and rubber gloves and pick up trash at an elementary school yard or along a street. Unless there's a locked gate, you wouldn't even need permission for something like that.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 04:53PM

If you don't go, then your kids are stuck with extra work! Any chance you can offer your kids something more fun to do instead? That way your wife is stuck doing it all but she's the one that said yes....

Stunted

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 05:01PM

...and doing whatever other ever-increasing assignments the leadership decides to dish out.

Posted by: Mycroft_Jones ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 05:38PM

I guess some of the insights, that I've been shared with my wife, into mormonism's ugly underbelly must be doing some good. Without prompting, my wife called the cleaning warden back and told him, No Thanks. Happy Day!

Date: December 30, 2011 07:43PM

I'd take her out to dinner for that decision! Yay! May the light continue to creep in.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 07:50PM

I agree, take her out for dinner!

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 12:38PM

I always signed up to do my share because I felt sorry for the poor guy that was in charge of it...if no one showed up, he'd be there all morning doing the work himself.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 06:11PM

WTG! Do something fun with the whole family to celebrate your (temporary) liberation!

What will happen, is that the HT's will end up doing the cleaning themselves. Since almost *everybody is a HT, then the church building will be cleaned, anyway.

*(Everybody but the bishopric, stake leaders, and the higher-ups.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 06:13PM by forestpal.

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 07:35PM

New LDS slogan: Every member a mopologist!

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 09:32PM

What is scary, is that people sit around and think of this sheet....how to fool people into cleaning for free for a multi million dollar corp. Gosh, how CAN we get those lazy basturds to clean up for us....oh, I know we can make it part of home teaching. Next it will be part of primary, get those little kids out there with buckets and brooms. make them work for the privilage of being in prison.

I love it when I read this stuff, it just goes to show how out of touch the morg is, and how they are pushing their little sheeple off the edge of the cliff. Go, morg! Keep it up! Demand more and more of the sheeple and give them less and less. Just watch the membership decline and watch people going inactive. Why? because you are not a church, but a money grubbing corporation.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 09:53PM

has ChurchCo Boy Scouts ever been told they MUST clean the church?

Oh where that conversation would go....

Date: December 30, 2011 09:57PM

Next they will deny temple recommends if you don't have a certain amount of hours logged on the cleaning schedule.

You will be looked down upon as evil, and not a supporter of the brethren. That has been their system since the beginning.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 11:39PM

mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Next they will deny temple recommends if you don't
> have a certain amount of hours logged on the
> cleaning schedule.
>
> You will be looked down upon as evil, and not a
> supporter of the brethren. That has been their
> system since the beginning.

you might be right. However that might be the iceberg that sinks many a testimony. If you don't have a TR due to cleaning, then why bother to pay tithing?

Date: December 31, 2011 12:40AM

Good point. I hope they go there.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 12:42AM

On the way there to clean: "Hey kids, did you know that other churches actually pay someone to come in and clean?"

Posted by: Dan McKenzie ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 07:17AM

There is a group called Janitors 4 Jesus, actually serving others.

http://janitors4jesus.com/

Posted by: notmo not logged in ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 12:37PM

as to why this is a lousy idea; the leaders will eventually come up with something different.

We've seen it happen over and over...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.