Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 01:38PM

This whole subject has always made me go "huh?" during my membership. I wasn't supposed to ask about it and it was just a room where the current prophet could talk to god face to face. Anyone actually know for sure what it is? Or what's in there? And if they did see the lord face to face wouldn't they be transfigured as Moses was?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 01:46PM

I think it is very similar to a sealing room. Other than the good old folklore of there being two chairs equally worn where the prophet can sit and talk to God, it is where the second anointing are performed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_of_Holies_(LDS_Church)

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 01:47PM

The rumor I always heard was that this was where they did the second anointings. I also heard rumors that each of the other temples has a sealing room that was set apart for this special use, if a visiting prophet felt the need, but that normally those lesser holy of holies operated as normal sealing rooms the rest of the time.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 01:50PM

Oh dear... it must be my nevermo status because to me, 'holy of holies' is slang for a vagina, lol.

Date: December 31, 2011 01:59PM

It's also slang for garments after Chilli night. Those things are so cheep and so thin, one fart blows a quarter sized hole in them.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 03:45PM

The ancient temple in Jerusalem (each successive version) had, in the main building, two rooms, which only the priests could enter. The first room was called "the holy place." From there, one could enter the next room, "the most holy place" (or "Holy of Holies"). But only the high priest could enter it, and only once a year - it was so sacred. In the first temple (Solomon's) it contained the Ark, the tablets of the Law, and was guarded by images of two seraphim.

My unanswered question has always been: if the room was so unused, it must have gotten awfully dusty and filled with cobwebs. Did the high priest also have the job (on the one day a year he was allowed to enter it) to dust and sweep?

Date: December 31, 2011 04:48PM

I always wondered the same thing. My theory is that they had an exception for the slaves that had to go in there to clean. They probably used people who were on the margins of society, and whom they felt were somehow not really human.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 08:59PM

So at the end of the day it is seriously a room decorated just as tacky as the rest of the place? And here I was thinking that there was a magic ark of the covenant or dead body or something. Bummer.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 01, 2012 02:41AM

It's cool because the furniture is nice and there are stuffed toys everywhere, and someone always brings you tea with cream.

Date: January 01, 2012 02:43AM

Wait, I don't get your reference.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 01, 2012 05:29AM

A term referring to all the ward members hand selected by the SP and Bishops to become such.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: January 01, 2012 08:59AM

If you were the prophet or in the big 15 why would you ever let slip that such an amazing room existed? If no one is allowed to go save it be the most righteous why do so many folks know? My DM often talked about it in the SLT (she never went in of course.) Sounds like a cruel trick actually.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: January 01, 2012 09:03AM

"No one can truly say he knows God until he has handled something, and this can only be done in the Holiest of Holies." Personal Writings of Joseph Smith, 1 May 1842, pp. 119-120.

Of course, the Prophet was referring to masturbation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.