Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 02:50PM

What happened to those magical items? Don't you think that it might be useful for the prophet who replaced Joseph Smith to have his own set of magical peep stones?

If modern prophets don't need magical peep stones to commune with the spirit, then why did Joe Smith need them? Was it because he did not have the same spiritual power as the other prophets who came after him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 03:11PM

why did God ever have them put in the ground in the first place, if heavenly storage was possible at all.
why put something that sacred in the ground, if they could be stored in heaven.

of course, this is the place where MORmONS like to go off on their critics about not understanding the ways of god.
they will say that God could just drop them off from heaven.
sure stuff can go up to heaven but its just not that easy for stuff to come down from heaven. sure an angel can pick the things up, but an angel cant just drop them off! thats the way it works, MORmONS readily understand it.

MORmONS might have been right about that, but then again crack open the good old BOM , read the story of the Liahona , and ask yourself how that thing was dropped off.

STUPID ASS MORmONS !

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 03:32PM

their logical argument is that the urim and tummin (or whatever the hell you spell that) that smith found while digging a well, was the same or similar than the one used by abraham and others.

( so abraham came back from his exalted planet, planted it there so smith could find it. right. make sense.)

rumor has it, that monson uses that peep stone. i've seen pictures of the rock. nothing really out of the ordinary. it's just a rock with a hole in it.

as far as the sword of laban, no one has seen it. but the legend says that the prophet has it in his secret vault.

(right, the absolute evidence locked in a vault. perhaps jesus, inc wants to test your faith once more)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 04:31PM

I remember asking questions like this in sunday school when I was about 6 or 7. I also remember thinking the answers were not good enough. I asked a lot of questions. I was pegged as rebellious at a very early age. In truth I was a very shy quiet (frightened) little kid. Just had a lot of unanswerable questions. My mother told me before I got baptized I had to stop questioning everything. It was a bad thing to do. Thank God I didn't listen to that! Hmmm, maybe I was rebellious. It's a good thing.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 04:34PM

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 04:48PM

I always heard they are in the holy of holies in the SLC temple, growing up. Other treasures are said to be in the vault in Little cottonwood canyon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2012 04:49PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 04:55PM

what i'd like to see is the 'cement' box on hill cumorah that all that stuff was buried in

if such a thing really exists it'd be the perfect BoM historical artifact - not 'holy' like the plates or 'valuable' like the sword - no reason for it to be hidden in heaven or a vault

it should be a mormon holy site

the fact that it's not speaks volumes...

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 05:11PM

Several nominal and prominent early church members indicated that not only were the gold plates (from which the Book of Mormon was purportedly translated) buried at the Hill Cumorah, but that there was an entire cave of records and artifacts inside the hill itself. Here are a few select quotes to illustrate this incredible claim:

"I lived right in the country where the plates were found from which the Book of Mormon was translated, and I know a great many things pertaining to that country. I believe I will take the liberty to tell you of another circumstance that will be as marvelous as anything can be. This is an incident in the life of Oliver Cowdery, but he did not take the liberty of telling such things in meeting as I take. I tell these things to you, and I have a motive for doing so. I want to carry them to the ears of my brethren and sisters and to the children also, that they may grow to an understanding of some things that seem to be entirely hidden from the human family. Oliver Cowdery went with the Prophet Joseph when he deposited these plates. Joseph did not translate all of the plates; there was a portion of them sealed, which you can learn from the Book of Doctrine and Covenants. When Joseph got the plates, the angel instructed him to carry them back to the hill Cumorah, which he did. Oliver says that when Joseph and Oliver went there, the hill opened, and they walked into a cave, in which there was a large and spacious room. He says he did not think, at the time, whether they had the light of the sun or artificial light; but that it was just as light as day. They laid the plates on a table; it was a large table that stood in the room. Under this table there was a pile of plates as much as two feet high, and there were altogether in this room more plates than probably many wagon loads; they were piled up in the corners and along the walls." (Brigham Young Journal of Discourses, Vol. 19:38)

"Attended meeting a discourse from W. W. Phelps. He related a story told him by Hyrum Smith which was as follows: Joseph, Hyrum, Cowdery & Whitmere went to the hill Cormorah. As they were walking up the hill, a door opened and they walked into a room about 16 ft square. In that room was an angel and a trunk. On that trunk lay a book of Mormon & gold plates, Laban's sword, Aaron's brestplate." (William Horne Dame Diary, 14 January 1855)

"In response to a Brother Mills's statement about the handcart pioneers, Heber C. Kimball said: How does it compare with the vision that Joseph and others had, when they went into a cave in the hill Cumorah, and saw more records than ten men could carry? There were books piled up on tables, book upon book. Those records this people will yet have, if they accept of the Book of Mormon and observe its precepts, and keep the commandments." (Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, 28 September 1856)

"President [Heber C.] Kimball talked familiarly to the brethren about Father Smith, [Oliver] Cowdery, and others walking into the hill Cumorah and seeing records upon records piled upon table[s,] they walked from cell to cell and saw the records that were piled up." (Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 5 May 1867)

"President Young said in relation to Joseph Smith returning the Plates of the Book of Mormon that He did not return them to the box from wh[ence?] He had received [them]. But He went [into] a Cave in the Hill Comoro with Oliver Cowdry & deposited those plates upon a table or shelf. In that room were deposited a large amount of gold plates Containing sacred records & when they first visited that Room the sword of Laban was Hanging upon the wall & when they last visited it the sword was drawn from the scabbard and [laid?] upon a table and a Messenger who was the keeper of the room informed them that that sword would never be returned to its scabbard until the Kingdom of God was established upon the Earth & until it reigned triumphant over Every Enemy. Joseph Smith said that Cave contained tons of Choice Treasures & records." (Wilford Woodruff Journal, 11 December 1869)

Although not a member of the church, Elizabeth Kane lived in St. George, Utah, and entertained the company of Brigham Young. She recorded the following discussion:

"asked where the plates were now, and saw in a moment from the expression of the countenances around that I had blundered. But I was answered that they were in a cave; that Oliver Cowdery though now an apostate would not deny that he had seen them. He had been to the cave. ... Brigham Young's tone was so solemn that I listened bewildered like a child to the evening witch stories of its nurse.

Brigham Young said that when Oliver Cowdery and Joseph Smith were in the cave this third time, they could see its contents more distinctly than before...... It was about fifteen feet high and round its sides were ranged boxes of treasure. In the centre was a large stone table empty before, but now piled with similar gold plates, some of which lay scattered on the floor beneath. Formerly the sword of Laban hung on the walls sheathed, but it was now unsheathed and lying across the plates on the table; and One that was with them said it was never to be sheathed until the reign of Righteousness upon the earth." (Elizabeth Kane Journal, 15 January 1873)

A southern Utah Saint, Jesse Nathaniel Smith, heard Brigham Young speak in Cedar City, Utah, and recorded:

" heard him [Brigham Young] at an evening meeting in Cedar City describe an apartment in the Hill Cumorah that some of the brethren had been permitted to enter. He said there was great wealth in the room in sacred implements, vestments, arms, precious metals and precious stones, more than a six-mule team could draw." Jesse Nathaniel Smith Journal, February 1874)

"It was likewise stated to me by David Whitmer in the year 1877 that Oliver Cowdery told him that the Prophet Joseph and himself had seen this room and that it was filled with treasure, and on a table therein were the breastplate and the sword of Laban, as well as the portion of gold plates not yet translated, and that these plates were bound by three small gold rings, and would also be translated, as was the first portion in the days of Joseph. When they are translated much useful information will be brought to light. But till that day arrives, no Rochester adventurers shall ever see them or the treasures, although science and mineral rods testify that they are there." (Edward Stevenson, Reminiscences of Joseph, the Prophet, 1877)

In an interview with P. Wilhelm Poulson, David Whitmer gave another account of the cave:

[Poulson]: Where are the plates now?
[Whitmer]: In a cave, where the angel has hidden them up till the time arrives when the plates, which are sealed, shall be translated. God will yet raise up a mighty one, who shall do his work till it is finished and Jesus comes again.
[Poulson]: Where is that cave?
[Whitmer]: In the State of New York.
[Poulson]: In the Hill of Comorah?
[Whitmer]: No, but not far away from that place.

(David Whitmer, Deseret Evening News, 16 August 1878)

"But the grand repository of all the numerous records of the ancient nations of the western continent, was located in another department of the hill, and its contents put under the charge of holy angels, until the day should come for them to be transferred to the sacred temple of Zion." (Orson Pratt, The Contributor, September 1882)

http://www.mormonthink.com/book-of-mormon-problems.htm#cumorah

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.