Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:31AM

So Sunday afternoon a guy and his kid pull up in front of our house and I just knew it had to be for fast offering, I remembered the thread from here that discussed how they always send their kids in to get the money, anyway, I had been out loading the car cuz the kids and I were headed out to visit my parents, so I came inside and said to DH that the cult was here to collect his money. He grabbed his wallet and went and gave them money. DH stopped going to church, he says because they changed the time from 11am to 1pm which is just to late for him, I really think it's cuz the election is over and he doesn't have to impress anyone anymore...but that's just me. Anywho, he hasn't been to church for a couple of weeks now and yet they still come over to our house every month to get money, so is this what they do, if the person is not in church they come hunt them down? Do the go to everyone who is supposed to be in their ward, do they even bother to see if the person they are bugging is mormon or not or do they just go from house to house?
In our old house we were never bugged for money, did my DH have a really lazy bishop then?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:54AM

In Utah they will typically go to every house unless the person at the house has requested that they not come by. Not paying a fast offerings is not the same as requesting not to come by. You have to specifically say - please don't come by (the please is optional).

They try to honor not going by if someone asks them not to, but they tend to do a poor job of keeping track of it accurately.

The kids will be more than happy to have one less place to stop on the route. They don't want to be out there doing it and are especially uncomfortable going to houses where they anticipate they aren't wanted.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:59AM

They hit up everyone in the ward for more money, whether they come to church or not, whether they pay tithing or not. The problem is that most people who pay tithing really don't feel like giving even more for fast offering. 10% is a big chunk of take-home pay for most people, so most don't bother to pay fast offering. When I paid tithing, even in my most TBM days, I'd figure out what 10% was, then I'd subtract $20 from that and put it on the fast offering line item. I figured if the church wanted 10%, that's all they got, and if it wasn't enough for them, that was their problem.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 12:01PM

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 12:19PM

My DH's comment:

Fast offering?

As in: How fast are you offering to get off my front porch?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 01:01PM

They do get cash this way and they train kids to cross normal societal boundaries in preparation for being rude when they go on missions.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 01:07PM

"so is this what they do, if the person is not in church they come hunt them down?"

exactly - mormonism in a nutshell...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.