Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 04:53PM

Also, which GA would you guess to be the most likely to be one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 04:56PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:08PM

I don't have any idea. That would be one hellish life to live though. I can't imagine having to go through life not being able to live as who you are, and on such a massive scale. I don't know how people do that.

Date: January 11, 2012 05:11PM

I was probably a little too insensitive with the post, but you know that there has to be one or two. It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Date: January 11, 2012 05:19PM

I don't really know whose face goes with what name. I would guess that the ones who talk about it the most. Would that be Boyd Packer? If he is, what a name! lol

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:20PM

But we all know that stats aren't valid predicters for small samples/populations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 05:20PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: January 11, 2012 05:22PM

True, but then again, they all live in SLC and we recently learned that SLC is the gayest city in America.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:53PM

the sample size is so lage...

ya just could sample em all!! :)

and lower than 50 pop. ya do have to sample am all.

just sayin

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:53PM

They're specifically chosen to meet certain criteria, among which is being straight. I suppose some highly closeted, repressed guy might slip through, but the odds are WAY lower than, say, a guy at work being gay.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:24PM

Wasn't there something about an old patriarch of the church, whose office was disbanded?

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:32PM

It is my understanding that this is why there is no "Patriarch to the Church". This office was originally held by Joseph Smith Sr.

Date: January 11, 2012 05:30PM

In the seventies I heard persistant rumors that Gordon B was not only gay but entertained at home in drag. Supposedly his long term lover came out on radio sometime in that era.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:42PM

Date: January 11, 2012 06:02PM

Sorry, that should have been the nineties. The tale came from an individual that claimed to have have heard the confession by the lover on talk radio, via an SLC station. Didn't say it way true, just said I had heard.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:34PM

I firmly believe that Monson is gay. I also believe that whatever toy he used last to get off got lodged up there permanently so it kind of explains his demeanor....

Posted by: ElGuapo ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:38PM

My guesses, in order of likelihood:

Spencer W. Kimball
Richard G. Scott
Thomas S. Monson

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:30PM

Having read some of his talks and based on what he preaches he seems to hate women. Attractive young women that dare to be feminine seem to really piss him off. That kind of hardline stance really makes me suspicious.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:44PM

Statistically speaking, the GA's are not a random sample of the population so you can't apply "a given percentage of the population".

Posted by: Lyrical Sage ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:58PM

There may be a given percentage of the general population that is gay, but keep in mind that percentage is tabulated from a HUGE number of small groups/factions that have highly varied percentages themselves. Some groups will have a very high percentage, some very low, and some will mimic the national average.

In other words, while we can only speculate that a few GA's might be gay, it's still probable that none of them are.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:07PM

It is quite likely that none of them are. But if I had to choose a number one candidate it would have to be the uptight homophobe BKP

Date: January 11, 2012 06:46PM

I agree. I also have noticed that among the groups that tend to have higher percentage of homosexuals among their ranks, then other groups, are religious ones that persecute gays. Probably because gays feel a need to marry, and have children in order to hide their gayness, when raised amongst such groups.

Also, being completely homophobic does not seem to repel gays. By all reports, the clergy of the Catholic Church has the highest rate of gays in its ranks (about half), in the world, among groups that are not specifically tailored towards the gay community.

How many of us thought the church was true, even though we were secretly evil masturbators? There are probably gay GAs in loveless marriages who are simply suppressing that part of themselves.

Date: January 11, 2012 06:10PM

I've been thinking about this question, as it's not something I've ever wondered about before. After thinking about the gay men I've known,vs. the straight, and all kinds of other things I think....

David O.McKay

The first one to seriously be anti polygamy. The best style. I think he attracted women to him the way the gay men in my life do. I can't really articulate it, but somehow there is a familiarity there.

I know there were rumors about him and his secretary. I think she may be buried next to him. My theory about that has always been that SHE was gay (was she always single?). That could have been a great bonding factor for them. It would make sense.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:10PM

Two decades ago, I was writing a book about Mormon schisms and attended the Los Angeles Chapter of Affirmation for a brief period. There were often fifty/hundred men at events, all LDS (or former LDS) and gay. Some of them were married and occasionally brought their wives.

Human beings are human beings. Religion is insignificant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 06:12PM by george.

Date: January 11, 2012 06:50PM

Though I think the way I worded this was a little insensitive, thank you for catching what I meant. I am trying to look at the GAs as human beings in order to understand the church a little better.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:40PM

i although i recently resigned, i haven't really payed attention to the new GAs since 2001.

no offense to the gay community here and sorry for saying the "m" word but my wild guess is...

monson!!

he sounded pretty gay to me at the time.

again, no offense to the gay community and children reading this post.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:50PM

I don't think the premise works. This is a system that weeds out those that are not 100% on board with the party line.
I don't think any of them are closeted gays because they are weeded out long ago for some other reason.

Date: January 11, 2012 06:55PM

That implies that they have a perfect system for weeding out undesirable personalities. A GA is supposed to be pious and loving too, but Monson is sure as hell not those things. I mean look at the 40s, the patriarch of the church had to be released because they found out he was gay, and one of the apostles was excommunicated for practicing polygamy under their noses. Their system is flawed.

It is based on good feeling and being tied to Mormon Royalty, not on background investigations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 07:00PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: Regan ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:58PM

This would make since considering my father in law who was a two time bishop is in the closet. He molested a boy in his ward while he was bishop.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:16PM

Given that you have to be married and active in the church for decades before becoming a GA, that number will be significantly smaller.

However, I do know the children and grandchildren of GAs who are gay. None of them are active LDS.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 11:02PM

I read his autobiography, and he mentioned being deeply disturbed by young men who "wore their garments openly."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.