Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:19PM

My wife is feeling some pretty heavy emotional stress with the beginning of her second semester as a graduate student at the U. Her classes require vocal, active participation that is worth up to 20% of the grade. My wife has tried talking with therapists from a young age (10 or 11), but none of them have worked so far. It's hard to say why, maybe she didn't click with any of them.

So, I need to find somebody who is:
-Patient
-Preferably female
-Is able to prescribe medication, if necessary
-Is interested in both long term progress and short term relief
-Has experience with General Anxiety, Social Anxiety, and Obsessive Tendencies
-Lives near downtown
-Of course, licensed/certified/educated
-Is affordable with health insurance (on a single $44K/yr income)
-NOT LDS

I figure I would ask here as the LDS church can sometimes leave wounds too great for a person to heal on their own. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:36PM

But do yourself a huge favor and interview several Dr.s before you decide on one. All of the stuff you listed is for not if you don't connect with the Dr, you are seeing.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:38PM

Agreed. Unfortunately, there's the challenge of my wife actually doing this. I obviously can't interview for her, so she needs to do it herself. For now, I just need some suggestions for trusted psychologists/psychiatrists/LCSWs in the area.

Posted by: Regan ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:59AM

Only psychiatric nurse practitioners and psychiatrists can perscribe meds. Psychologists/therapists typically cannot. I know that there may be some psychiatrists that councel as well. I go to a womens clinic but it is out in cottonwood heights about 20 minutes from SLC. It is nice though because they have both psychiatrists to perscribe meds and therapists for counceling. They also are great with insurance. One thing I have found about Utah is everyone is in therapy and on meds so it can be really difficult to find Doctors who are taking new patients and the wait can be horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 03:14AM by Regan.

Posted by: Regan ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 03:11AM

I go to the intermountain psychiatry and counceling in cottonwood heights. Only because they were the only ones accepting new patients. I actually live in SLC so it is a drive. Out of all of these options only a small handful will be accepting new clients so that is why I gave you such a large list. Each center will have several doctors that you can meet and chose from to fit your needs. Good luck!

Psychiatry & Counseling Svc
324 10th Ave Ste 178, Salt Lake City, UT (801) 408-8500

Valley Mental Health
5965 S 900 E # 420, Salt Lake City, UT (801) 263-7100

Valley Mental Health
1020 S Main St Ste 100, Salt Lake City, UT (801) 539-7000

Ihc Behavioral Health Svc
324 10th Ave Ste 178, Salt Lake City, UT (801) 233-4100

Adult Behavioral Health Clinic
650 Komas Dr Ste 208, Salt Lake City, UT (801) 585-1212

Intermountain Psychiatry and Counseling – Avenues
324 10th Ave., Suite 154
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
Phone: (801) 408-8500

Intermountain Psychiatry and Counseling - Union Park
1225 E. Fort Union Blvd., Suite 215
Cottonwood Heights, Utah 84047
Phone: (801) 233-4200

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 03:08AM

It may be different in Utahs licensing system but be careful.

There are two types of 'counselors' Master Degrees. One uses a psychological background, and the other is a drug/alcohol background, that basically only requires about two weekends of training, providing someone has been in a 12 step organization for a number of years. Be sure to research what type of counselor you may be seeking.

Also, for what it is worth, many people from the LDS faith have skewed thinking about counseling and mental health. Much of this comes from the armchair psychology of the LDS lay clergy. I would suggest reading some Thomas Szasz before being totally convinced that a therapist is what is needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Szasz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 03:11AM by deco.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:45AM

Dr. Diedre Caplan
(801) 587-3626
295 CHIPETA WAY
RM 2S01
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84108

She is at the U, is on the faculty, is great. Worked wonders for a family member. Not LDS, but familiar.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.