Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 12:24AM

What if the LDS church was just a secret branch of the US government, created by the US government, to maintain some special control over a certain part of the population and infiltrate other countries with their religious influence without appearing too overtly legitimate to the outside establishments.

Say Joseph Smith was even a hired agent of the government and he threatened to blow his own cover when he got too power hungry/slash greedy and he had to be taken out.

And let's say that all those high enough up in the church are privy to the secret that they are simply a defense mechanism for the USA. The missionaries are many experts in foreign language and culture. After their missions, many choose to continue contact with those cultures.

It's a safe bet for the US government, because most of their representatives are already well trained to be secretive and closed into their group. They have this ultra conservative group that they can maintain control over the masses while at the same time not looking too obvious.

That's really off the wall, but just kind of imagining.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken'N'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 01:23AM

I saw a book once that was all about how the Peace Corps was invented for that very infiltrative purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 03:32AM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 02:28AM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 10:41AM

I looove me some conspiracy theories. I'm in: if true, why would Joe and Briggy start biting the hand that feeds them? Such as organizing a militia and declaring war on the US states gubmint? Why couldn't the gubmint protect them from the extermination order? And rockin' the boat with that awesome polygamy thingy?

However, your idea may fit in with a more modern day LDS hierarchy. Somewhere down the line perhaps they wised up and sought to cooperate, joined them in secret oaths, etc. McKay may have been the guy to start this. Yeah, what's up with that Masonic handshake at BYU? Think I saw this on youtube or summat.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 02:57PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 03:22PM

Well somebody's smoking something!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 03:26PM

Write a book, it's a great plot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.