Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paylayale ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 06:14AM

We have expressions for everything and the "J" word should be no exception The letter "J" never existed in the English language till the 15th century. Look it up on the Internet. He was NEVER called Jesus in his entire life. He was called Yahshuha. Hallowed be thy name. All "J" word churches are false. If they haven't got the name right how can anything else be true.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 06:35AM

"If they haven't got the name right how can anything else be true."

That's exactly what Jehovah's Witnesses say!

Date: January 24, 2012 07:44AM

While I find the Jehovah's Wiotnesses to be repugnant, they are also a false "J" church.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 07:22AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 08:00AM

...the true church will have "Jesus" in it's name, then what about the LDS church in countries that don't speak English, that use a different name? I mean, if the exact names is so f-ing important, then why translate it? After all, EVERYONE knows God's favorite language is white and delightsome English, not those other cursed languages.

Date: January 24, 2012 09:16AM

While I cant speak for other languages etc. I am sure that a "J" will still be false. Yes English is a superior language, it is more efficient, expressive with many variants of meanings, has 550,000 words and is spoken around the world.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 10:42AM

This is nonsense. Do you even speak a foreign language?

Many/most languages are "expressive with many variants of meanings".

I am English, but I live my life in a foreign language (French) because I live in Paris.

I can confirm that English is no more "expressive" than French, which has just as many words (including many that later found their way into English) and is even better for expressing some things.

Although a simplified form of English is used as a worldwide lingua franca, this is mainly for historical and political reasons (domination of the Brits followed by domination of the US).

Maybe Chinese will take over soon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 10:43AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 11:05AM

If another language expresses an idea very well, English will just take it.

But I don't think that necessitates the word "superior."

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 11:40AM

to make an argument about the truthiness of a proposition based upon something as haphazard is orthography and phonology.

First, the word /jesus/ itself came into English via Latin. In latin, the phonemes /i/ and /j/ represent the short and long form of the vowel /I/ respectively. In italian, the orthograph /j/ is still referred to as i longu (long I).

The twist comes due to geographic isolation, where pronunciation is constantly in flux, and always collapsing toward ease of articulation. /i/ --> /j/.

English is littered with variation when it comes to pronouncing words which came to it via the Romance languages.

IOW, what you allege is irrelevant. Sorry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.