Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StrawberryFields ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 06:47PM

Hi everyone, (ps-there is swearing)

So, I'd like to start off by saying I don't know much of the jargon around these parts. I've never even known a Mormon. I'm from Michigan, and I don't think we have a lot of them here. I'm in college right now and living with the parentals. They decided to go on a three week vacation right before my spring break because they're retired and really don't have anything better to do. I kind of enjoy being home alone since we pretty much live in the sticks and there's not much to worry about around here. Well, nothing that dad's shotgun that's posted up right next to my bed can't cure. I also love it because I'm in college and it just so happens they were gone during my spring break. Party over here! My spring break was last week. And here the story begins.

So, it was the morning after we had a large bash at my house (Monday). The friends that still remained at 9am were still passed out in the basement. I awoke to the doorbell ringing, hungover as hell and probably reeking like booze. I answer the door and there are two guys near my age dressed all sorts of nice. Didn't really think much of it. So I let them in and they give me their spiel. I can't remember much of it because the whole time I was thinking, "Oh god, I think I'm gonna die. No, I think I'm gonna puke. No, no I think I'm just gonna die." (It was one of those nights). I made up some excuse about being kind of sick, so the visit was pretty short, maybe about 20 minutes. They were nice enough, glad they didn't rebuke me for still being drunk at 9 in the morning. I thought that was the end of that.

The next morning, again, at around 9 or 10 in the AM (no, I'm on spring break, and there's no way that I want to sleep in, assholes) they were back. Less hungover and not in a haze, I looked at them quizzically and let them in. I don't like being rude to people, and I thought it couldn't hurt anything, right? Well immediately, since I didn't look like a partied-out creature, I started getting compliments. "Oh, well you look *lovely* this morning!" etc. By this point I'm thoroughly annoyed, because no one looks lovely when they're dragged out of bed to answer the door. So again they go into their "Well we're from the Church of the Latter Day Jesus Saints and we want to share the good news with you!" blah blah blah bullshit. I let them go until I was just sick of hearing them talk and I said, "Listen guys, I respect what you're doing, I do, but I just don't think I'm interested and I have about a zillion things to do today, so I won't waste anymore of your time." They politely left and I was glad to be done with that. Haha, in my DREAMS!

That was, I believe on Tuesday. I did everything I needed to do, dishes laundry etc, cleaned the house up to get ready for another long night, and I decided to do a little research on these Mormon people. Couldn't hurt, right? Eventually, I found this website.

Now, let me take an aside to say: some of the stories I've read on here, man, my heart really goes out to you guys. This 'church' has done some pretty messed up stuff to a lot of you. I used to go to church with the parents when I was younger, got confirmed and all that, and I enjoyed it. There wasn't any of the BS going on that I've read about on here, of course I was raised Lutheran so it's kind of apples to oranges, but you get the point. It wasn't like some country club where the snooty people all got together to gossip about everyone and their moms.

Back on topic, we left off at research Tuesday I believe. Well, I read a lot of the stuff on this site among others, and let me just say, I think Mormonism is WAY fucked up. The things they believe in, it almost makes Scientologists look sane. Almost. So I ended the day with another party and didn't think much of it after I logged off the computer. Fast-forward to Thursday. Just like in Poltergeist, they're baaaaaaaaaaack! By this time, I was just fed up with it, and SO not down for being nice. I decided to tell them in no uncertain terms exactly what I thought of their 'church'. So I let them in, and I let them talk a little bit before I really said what I wanted to say. It started off something like this:

Me: "Okay guys, you've been coming here for almost a week. I did a little bit of research on the Mormon religion and I've come up with some decisions..."

Mormon #1: "Wait, was this research done on....THE INTERNET???" *thunder crashes* (Well, that's what happened in my head).

Me: "Well, yeah, but I'd appreciate it if you kept your mouth shut and let me say what I want to say. Okay? Okay, first off, you guys believe that some loon-head magically found some plates of gold and translated them into some magical book? Well I say that's bullshit, and he lied. Second, this same dude took a ton of wives, some of them being little teenagers? I'm NOT cool with that, I don't care what day and age it was done. Like I said, he probably LIED about translating the 'gold plates', and it resulted in him getting more action than he could ever dream. Yeah, 'cause I buy THAT! *rolleyes*" Here they try to interject again, to which I respond:

"What part of shut up don't you understand? *ahem* And my last problem here is that if I were to get married in your 'church', my parents and family wouldn't even be able to attend. I love my family very much, and there is absolutely no way I wouldn't include them in my wedding. Sorry Charlie, not gonna happen, not no way, not no how. I'm pretty sure you guys know where the door is, so if you could please use it and this time don't come back, I'd really appreciate it."

I'm pleased to say it's now Wednesday, and they haven't returned. I owe all of my information to you folks here, so for that I thank you! I wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks in the Mormon church anyway. I like beer, coffee, and cigarettes WAY too much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 06:52PM

Glad we could be of use.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 06:57PM

People like you make a difference!

Way cool. Way, way cool. Thanks for posting. Good story. Funny and well written.

Posted by: StrawberryFields ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 07:05PM

Like I said, I owe the plethora of information I gathered mostly to you guys and this site. I don't like to be rude to people, because I'm not normally a rude person. If I didn't read on this site that you basically have to tell these people off to leave you alone, they probably would have kept showing up and I'd feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog's Day, except, it wouldn't be Sonny and Cher waking me up. It'd be those assholes.

Posted by: drewmeister ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:22AM

"[I]t wouldn't be Sonny and Cher waking me up. It'd be those assholes."

*snort* I love that movie. And I love your quote. ;-)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 07:04PM

...lose their testimonies and leave the church after they've come back from their missions.

We salute you for doing your bit to bring two of them back to normalcy. ;-)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 02:04AM

Enjoyed your story and yes, you were smart- you did research. So many of these young people don't. They get hooked up with a group from school and are told "Oh, don't go to the internet" and the idiots don't. Now why the lightbulb doesn't go on for them I don't know. Anyhow, you wre kind, let them do their speeches and then said in no uncertain terms- "I am DONE WITH YOU"....more people like you need to say this to them. At least you got them off your back.

Do you suppose they came precisely because your parents weren't there. That is how they operate. They do not care about individual's families at all....it is all about getting that young person. And yes, they throw compliments about in an unending way just to get that baptism. Mormonism is a sick "religion". Glad you gave them a few of the facts to ponder. Enjoy yourself without the cult members. Your partying sounds like my brother's when we would go on vacation and he stayed at home. ( he was 5 1/2 yrs. older )

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:39AM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 11:01AM

+1

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 11:23AM

You said they called you lovely, so I'm assuming you're a girl. You said you were partying for spring break, so I'm assuming you're a girl under 70.

If these 2 guys came in your house, then they broke the rules big time. They're not supposed to be alone with the opposite sex unless there are at least 3 units of one sex, or if the opposite is over 70. Appearance of evil doncha know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.