Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:53AM

I've seen several usages lately of TBJackM. I thought the definition of a JackMo was someone who believed evertything of the church but they just didn't follow it, in other words, what some are now calling a TBJackM. To me, a JackMo was someone who didn't go to church, didn't follow the teachings themself, but would radically defend the Cult (as rabid as any TBM) if a nevermo or exmo criticized it.

So, was what I thought a JackMo was off, or do other people have a different definition for a JackMo? I guess I'm not understanding this new term TBJackM, because to me it seems the same as what I always called a JackMo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 12:09PM

I see a classical JackMo at one end of the spectrum, and a TBM at the other. There must be some space in between which shares characteristics of both.

Jack Mormon, according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mormon

"Sometime in the early- to mid-twentieth century, however, the term began to refer to an individual deemed by adherents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) to be an inactive or lapsed member of the LDS Church who, despite his personal religious viewpoint, maintained good relations with and positive feelings toward the LDS Church."

"The term is now used to describe a baptized member of the LDS Church who rarely or never practices the religion, but is still friendly toward the church. Alternatively, it can be used for someone that is of Mormon descent but unbaptized or non-religious. Some Jack Mormons still support the goals and beliefs of the LDS Church, but for various reasons choose not to attend services or participate in church activities."

There is a difference between somebody who would merely "defend" TSCC, and "maintain good relations" with TSCC, versus somebody who believes *the church is true* with the same fervour of a TBM.

My wife, for example, I call a TBJackMo. She keeps the WoW, is morally clean and chaste, got married in the temple, and believes in the teachings of TSCC, its doctrines, and the whitewashed history every bit as much as a TBM. But she doesn't pay tithing, and attends church infrequently. The reasons for her non-attendance are not because she doesn't believe, and not because she wants to "sin". She *DOES* believe, and the only Mormon "sin" she commits is not attending her meetings, and not paying tithing. (I don't know why she doesn't pay tithing, but she has never expressed any issues with the law of tithing). The reasons she doesn't like to attend church are related to her being shy and not feeling fellowshipped, and the hastle of dealing with our two young children.

I used to refer to her on this site as a TBM, because she is believing, but as she is considered semi-active, hasn't held a calling in years, and doesnt pay tithing or attend the temple, then "TBM" doesn't seem appropriate. TBJackMo makes the distinction between somebody who "truly believes" but doesn't live the life of a TBM, and somebody who would merely "defend" and "maintain good relations" with TSCC, whilst (possibly) holding differing religious views - a classic Jack Mo.

Of course, one could make the argument that people like my wife belong to a subset of Jackmoism. But they would seriously take issue with being lumped together with people who hold different religious views to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 12:14PM by freeman.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:45PM

I would think that the majority of JackMos are like your wife - strong belief but for whatever reason don't actually live by the rules they believe in. If they didn't believe, they wouldn't be JackMos, they would be exmos like us.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:36PM

You might as well say "if they DID believe, they would be TBMs".

Perhaps the issue is that "Jack Mormon" itself is one of those words that doesn't have a fixed definition. The Wikipedia I posted showed how the word has totally changed its meaning over the decades, and yet there is still disagreement.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:55PM

I have always heard jackmo defined exactly the same as you.

They totally believe it, but don't live it. It's for the people who are totally satisfied with a 1.0 GPA in school--heaven just doesn't interest them.

I don't understand it because I have to act on the things I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 02:57PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Tori ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:44PM

I'd define my cousin and her DH as TBJackM- Attends temple regularly, has pretty involved callings in their ward (primary pres. and ward clerk), definitely practicing mormon, definitely and proudly more than tithing, LOVES FARM, has been known to give testimony during course of random conversations. Invites the nomo family to ward events.
On the other hand, they drink decaff coffee, green tea and caff. soda, and when out of town will go to an Episcopal church out of preference. Also when no other Mormons are around, do criticise leadership and certain doctrines.
Or maybe they're just NOM...
Hmmmmm. Nope. I went to the cinema with her to see a movie which was R rated. Def. TBJackM
Tori.
x

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.