Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:24AM

I remember reading that the tarring and feathering Joseph experienced was at the hands of members of his own church.

Were there other times when he was tarred and feathered? I'm so tired of this coming up at church in talks and testimonies, and most recently given political happenings as an example of persecution experienced by members over the years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: curiousgeorge ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:48AM

Where did you read that it was church members who did it? I'm curious because this is the first Ive heard that and it would be very useful to have that bit of knowledge next time my Dad starts talking about the wonderful Jo Smith.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:56AM

google 'nancy miranda johnson'

happy reading!

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:00AM

"Trouble Enough", a book I once read in a local public library, had a chapter on that, I believe. Amazon or an Amazon seller may have that title available.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:38AM

http://mormonthink.com/grant6.htm

"Persons identified as being part of this attack besides Mason and Dr. Dennison, included Simonds Ryder, Warren Waste, Jacob Scott, a man named Fullar, and Eli Johnson. Many of these men had recently apostatized from the church.6 The mob action of March 24th, appears to have occurred for two reasons. Ryder said the attack occurred because “a plot was laid to take their property from them and place it under the control of Smith.”7 Eli Johnson was more specific. He was troubled because Smith and Rigdon were urging his brother John Johnson to “let them have his property,”8 and was “furious because he suspected Joseph of being intimate with his sister [actually she was his sixteen year old niece9], Nancy Mirinda Johnson, and he was screaming for Joseph’s castration.”10 Unsolicited sexual behaviors may have been the more urgent reason. The attack took place “in the middle of the night,” suggesting a crime that would arouse immediate action. Procuring the services of Dr. Dennison prior to the attack also suggests a crime of passion may have been committed."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 12:39PM

You wonder if they actually castrated him? That would explain why so few children with all his polygamous wives. It would also mean he was knowingly violating the commandment to practice polygamy in order to raise a "righteous seed."

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:04PM

Unfortunately, Dr. Dennison lost his nerve to carry out the operation.

But Dr. John C. Bennett did do operations in the form of abortions for Joseph, later. http://entreated.blogspot.com/2008/07/allegations-abt-joseph-smith.html

Posted by: Mormonisn't ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 04:06PM

I read where it was a cold pine tar and feathers used and not the hot boiling petroleum tar that makes the fireside stories.
Not life threatening but more of a pain to get of ones self.

maybe someone can link the tar story

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.