Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:49PM

A friend posted a FB link to the following article. It just amazes me that stuff like this, that shows the hazards of drinking soda, go unremarked by most Mormons - they gots ta have their Mormon coffee (i.e. Big Gulp Soda) dontch know. The fact that coffee and tea have at least some health benefits goes equally unremarked. Looking at it objectively, as an exmo, it certainly seems much healthier to drink a cup of tea, especially green tea, than to have the soda that Mormons drink to stay "worthy".

http://www.rodale.com/soda-health-problems

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:51PM

I remember being a recent convert and having to drive (NH) a long way to stake conference. We rode with a member of the bishopric and his family and he drank a six of coke on the way (probably a 100 mile trip). Very confusing for me.

Ron

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:55PM

...denying members coffee & tea presumably for health concerns, but allowing them far-worse-healthwise soda and sugar products, is ridiculously inconsistent.

So? --the Mormon church doesn't care. The whole purpose of the so-called WoW is to make sure that the sheeple are OBEDIENT to whatever directives you want to dish out! As long as they do THAT, they are "worthy."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 01:56PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:24PM

They don't make a huge deal out of caffeinated soda drinks because they know it would cause a rebellion.

My father a 2x ex bishop hid his mountain dew for about 30 years. He came out of hiding after he retired and my mother found a stash out in his shop.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:36PM

He sent out an "action item" to the mission that we were to refrain from cola drinks to avoid the appearance of evil, but then when I was working in the mission office I went to his house to get something signed, and he came to the door with a can of Pepsi in his hand. In his pajamas at 11am too.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:37PM

Makurosu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He sent out an "action item" to the mission that
> we were to refrain from cola drinks to avoid the
> appearance of evil, but then when I was working in
> the mission office I went to his house to get
> something signed, and he came to the door with a
> can of Pepsi in his hand. In his pajamas at 11am
> too.

I bet he just got done masterbating too.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:41PM

On our mission we had a saying:
"Every member a mission president."

My guess is that he had some TBM see some missionary drinking caffeine who went to the mission president to tattle and made a bug deal about it.

Forcing the mission president to write the letter while rolling his eyes the whole time.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:44PM

I could tell some stories about this, but I don't want to hijack the thread. He was still a hypocritical ass though. Trust me on this.

Date: January 24, 2012 02:54PM

Clearly. Regardless of the reason, to write such a letter and to drink caffeine himself is highly hypocritical.

Date: January 24, 2012 03:08PM

told us to go ahead and drink Coke if we were offered it because all the members in Spain did and we might as well. Because otherwise we were going to offend the members by acting holier than thou. Only a very small handful of missionaries were too self-righteous to listen to their MP's advice. Most of them happily complied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 03:08PM by CA girl.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 04:55PM

Mia Wrote:
> They don't make a huge deal out of caffeinated
> soda drinks because they know it would cause a
> rebellion.

They used to in the 70s.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:42PM

I don't know if soda was around when the WoW was written....what most Mormons don't realize is that Coke and Pepsi go really well with rum!...

Date: January 24, 2012 02:46PM

The WOW wasn't enforced until the early 1920s. At that time they considered including caffeinated drinks in the WOW but Coke successfully lobbied the church not to include it, convincing Joseph Fielding Smith that there wasn't a high enough caffeine content in soda to be harmful.

The disparity between the original WOW in D&C 89 and how it is enforced in the church today is shocking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 02:55PM by ronas.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:04PM

Very interesting! Would you have a link/source for that, ronas?

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 05:34PM

andyb Wrote:
....what most Mormons don't realize is that
> Coke and Pepsi go really well with rum!...

Absolutely true! I really don't like either Coke or Pepsi unless there's some alcohol mixed in.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:57PM

Yeah, but that would have taken ACTUAL inspiration.

Date: January 24, 2012 03:11PM

I don't remember where I originally read it but check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Wisdom

According to wiki it was Heber J Grant that got convinced by Coke that it was OK. Either I'm remembering wrong or the other place I read it disagreed (probably remembering wrong).

There is a reference cited on the wiki.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:37PM

more & more research data supporting the thinking that soda / pop / soda pop are ALL harmful to humans...

Maybe the GAs/ TSM will have a 'revelation' regarding this; Perhaps add it to the 'counsel' regarding "modest" earrings, tattoos....

HEY I've GOT IT!

they could say the part about pop/soda (difference?) was = the Lost 116 BoM pages... recently 'recovered/discovered'!

They could say

a) dropped on the floor; an inspired (volunteer) janitor recovered them

b) God 'waited' until 'the time was right' for Righteous LDSs to live 'the higher law'.

something like that....

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 04:44PM

I had heard somewhere that the LDS church bought stock in the coca-cola company and it was only after that it became ok to drink coke. Is this information false?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 04:47PM

Date: January 24, 2012 04:55PM

Wait, it's not true that the church OWNS Coke or Pepsi entirely. Snopes said it's too big a company for any one entity to own. But that isn't to say they don't have sizable stock in either company. One percent of Coke stock was worth 1.3 billion, according to snopes. They could own enough of a percentage of stock to make it worthwhile to ease up on the no Coke/Pepsi drinking, hardcore Mormon shame.

But I think it's more likely that Mormons need their buzz as much as anyone and trying to outlaw any source of caffeine would make it way too difficult to retain members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 04:55PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:06PM

Urban legend doesn't necessarily connotate a made up story. It's basically a story (hearsay) that gets passed around- sometimes with added or changed information, sometimes completely false. The Coke/Pepsi/Mormon one is usually passed around as TSCC owning the whole damn company.

lol, haven't you heard the ones about medical school practical jokes with cadavers?

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 07:45PM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:

> lol, haven't you heard the ones about medical
> school practical jokes with cadavers?

No. What practical jokes??

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 04:50PM

Nevermind, I looked it up in Snopes and it is not true...

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:00PM

I drink coffee and green tea. My TBM DH doesn't like it but lets me do it anyway. I'm glad he's on deployment right now so I can drink that good stuff to my heart's content. :-D

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 07:53PM

I drink coffee--love the new blonde blend at Starbucks

I drink different teas--black, green, and herbal

I do not drink sodas of any kind--too unhealthy

wtf--how can the mormon church ban healthy coffee and tea and allow unhealthy caffeinated beverages?

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 08:17PM

wtf--how can the mormon church ban healthy coffee and tea and allow unhealthy caffeinated beverages?

^^^
This kind of goes along with WTF- how can you ban coffee & tea then turn around and serve hot chocolate and cider at church activities. D&C 89 clearly prohibits HOT drinks. I have NEVER gotten a straight answer from ANY TBM on this one. As a convert I always asked in youth activities and was brushed off, as an adult in wards I asked the same thing and was brushed off. It really bothered me at every ward activity to see them serve the hot drinks meanwhile I couldn't have a latte. I know I can't be the only one who wondered about this one? Why certain hot drinks are fine despite the very specific directions not to drink them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 08:18PM by fetching49.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 08:29PM

Like horses and steel, hot beverages had a different definition then. At the time Joe got the revelation, hot beverages were coffee and tea. Ergo, the hot beverages of the WOW refer only to coffee and tea.

Posted by: Flare ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:55PM

Interesting thing I found while watching the infamouse Gordon B Hinkley interview from 60 Minutes on YouTube.

When asked about the WOW, the interviewer included caffeinated beverages in the list of banned substances, and Hinkley said "yes".

When the prophet speaks, the thinking has been done, but the Coke tabs still get popped it seems....

Date: January 29, 2012 05:08PM

I didn't remember that - thanks for pointing that out. I was still reeling from what GBH said about Mormons becoming like Gods was more of a couplet than a belief.

Posted by: vivo ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:27PM

Yup, no ammendments to the WoW.

Over consumption of sugar, salt, cholesterol, unknown chemicals galore doesn't seem to be an issue with Elohim.

Maybe Elohime and Jehovah really like their sheep unhealthy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.