Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:52AM

***THE DESERET NEWS ANNOUNCED TODAY THAT THE LDS CHURCH IS GOING TO ADDRESS ALL OF ITS SANITIZED HISTORY AND TRY TO GIVE A WHOLE NEW PERSPECTIVE ON ITS HISTORY --INCLUDING**

Joseph Smith marrying 14 year old girls
Book of Abraham problems
Polygamy
Book of Mormom problems .

THEY ARE DOING THIS TO STOP THE MASS EXODUS OF 20-40 YEAR OLD MEMBERS --

OMG

JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:54AM

OMG, YOUR CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN. OMG IT HAS SPREAD TO MY COMPUTER.

Seriously that is big news. I wonder if it has anything to do with a certain presidential run bringing a spotlight onto them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 09:55AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: gannosu ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:00AM

A link? A Link? Can't find it. But Packer and/or Oaks was right. "Some truths are not useful" Now look what has happened, truths are escaping everywhere you look.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:07AM

The real question is: HOW will they address these issues? Will they claim that it wasn't uncommon for 30 to 40-year olds to marry 14-year olds (it was)? Will they claim that the JS papyri weren't the source of the BoA (they were)? Will they claim that DNA-evidence is inconclusive (it isn't) and still offers options for the BoM to be historical (it doesn't)? Will they claim that polygamy was limited to about 5% of the members (it wasn't) and that they stopped in 1890 (they didn't)?

I don't believe you can teach an old fox new tricks. There first has to be a mass-exodus from the church hierarchy (preferrably to their graves) before this can take on any meaningful dimension, imo.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:13AM

This should finally give us some official stances that we can critically analyze, rather than the cop-out FairMormon "we are not affiliated" bs.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:19AM

Placing my money on them facing their revisionist history, with even more revisionist history. Any takers?

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:31AM

They are incapable of any honesty that isn't faith promoting.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:37AM

Those chronic liars will only further revise their revisionist history. No way will they ever come clean with simple truths.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:32PM

LD$ Inc. will just make up new excuses.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:22AM

<hahahahahahaha!>

Yeah, the leaders WISH! It is BECAUSE of the Titanic-like wave of apostasy that church leaders are finally realizing that all the sheeple are going to abandon ship unless they begin addressing all those covered-up issues!

(And how could the church leaders deal with life without all that fat tithing income?)

Posted by: gannosu ( )

I suspect this article was in the SLTrib, not in the Deseret News. It was in the Trib on page 6-7.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

De-sanitizing history doesn't mean squat if truth claims are simply not true.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:39AM

Anyway, the important thing to take away from this article is that it appears that somebody got to Marlin K. Jensen, and he changed his tone from the other day. My guess is that he was counseled by someone.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:41AM

"unvetted points of view" = uncensored facts

“...haven’t been emphasized often because they were not necessarily germane to what is taught at present.” = we're trying to ignore it, and/or the never-changing gospel has changed

“We are also working on an initiative to answer some of these more pressing questions.” = we're coming up with agreed-upon BS responses

While Mormons should not be “consumed with provocative materials critical of the [LDS] Church, the day for ignoring such matters is long past,” = we told people to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, but it didn't work

“The Internet is filled with thousands of pages of anti-Mormon polemic..." = “The Internet is filled with thousands of pages of embarrassing facts

"...it is extremely difficult for people to receive an honest and fair appraisal of Mormonism without significant effort on their part.” = it is extremely difficult for people to receive an honest and fair appraisal of Mormonism if they only reference approved LDS sources

“We are fully persuaded that Mormonism is not only true and faithful but also reasonable,” Millet wrote. “Ours is in fact a rational theology.” = we have zero credibility

“I have heard that our overall activity, especially in the United States, is as good as it’s ever been,” he said. = my bosses told me to reverse my previous statement, or else

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:16AM

Millet is an incredible douche bag! Yes, everyone, that is a personal attack.

But look at the crap he's purposely doing--it's his M.O. to lie (probably not for the lord, but to legitimize the organization he has a high standing in, where he draws praise and income from). So, yes, I feel okay calling him a f*cktard.

He's lying and decieving, and advocating that others do it too, so that the LDS Crotch can get more tithing money and influence. Cheap, manipulative sales tactics (nothing against salesmen).

Watch this POS unabashedly lie and train others to do it too. Note the smug attitude. Uggh. Flithy, lying sack of sh*t!

Every Moron should see this (without "scales" over their eyes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zA-rZQB-xQ

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:43AM

This news story today was in the SL Tribune. The last article about Jensen in the Deseret News was on January 13th.

http://www.deseretnews.com/search/?q=Marlin+Jensen&type=Deseret+News&submit.x=0&submit.y=0#Marlin Jensen

Now I could be wrong on this as I have no idea if the DesNews search engine misses some stories that have already been published.

And yes it would be big news if the DesNews were to put the same story up that the SLTrib did today on Jensen.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:05AM

How will this affect their "mainstreaming" posture?

On the one hand they are trying to tell the "mainstream Christian" world, "hey, we're pretty much just like you." On the other hand all the weird stuff will be at the forefront. It's one thing to indoctrinate members from childhood and up. It's another to have all your weird history out in the open where it's not considered "anti-Mormon" to mention.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:05AM

It looks like spin meister Robert Millet is handling the project. Robert Millet of the famed 'question that should have been asked fame'

The constroversial video of him giving that speech keeps getting pulled from youtube, but christian sites do keep posting it to keep it relevant.

Here is a copy of the whole speech, and his spinning that could teach Karl Rove a thing or two on how to effecetively lie to people.

It is long, but interesting to see how slippery this dude is to sell his masters goods.

http://newnewsnet.byu.edu/flv/overcomingobjections.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 11:06AM by deco.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:10AM

Gah, "No Weapon Shall Prosper?" Such stupid mormon churchy speak. Weapons don't prosper.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:10AM

Thank you for this information. This is awesome.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:28AM

I was so shocked at what I was reading, I got the name of the paper WRONG

JB

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:10PM

There is a slogan in the AA faith that goes 'When you find yourself in hole- Stop digging!

LDS Inc, in this poorly thought out maneuver has traded in a garden spade for an excavator.

There is no way the scope of the questions they intend on spinning will be contained. This will only open bigger and bigger cans of worms. Additionally most people are not enemies of the church, they simply do not care. They will care when it becomes obvious what a con job LDS Inc has given its members over the years.

There could also be some serious sideways reactions to this also, such as nonmembers questioning the competence of -say their dentist- because of the ease in which alleged professionals have been conned.

I can see people sitting in offices at both Scientology Inc and the JWs high command commenting what a stupid move this is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 12:11PM by deco.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:29PM

The church has always been in RESPONSE MODE!

They are never ahead on ethical issues. They get away with as much as they possibly can -- then they ONLY act when their existence is finally threatened:

POLYGAMY -- statehood was at risk, and the feds were going to take over soon.

TEMPLE RITES -- members (especially women) started to rebel.

BLACKS & PRIESTHOOD -- the IRS was looking at the church's exemption status.

EVERYTHING ELSE -- the Internet has blown the lid off of ALL the church's massive lies. It's a tidal wave and the next generation is riding on top of it. Now the church finds that it can't sweep the sea back any longer!

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:30PM

I'm curious how they are going to sugar coat this. Anyway, some things won't be able to be explained away - the Book of Abraham, DNA and lack of archeological evidence for the Book of Mormon for example. And how do you justify JS marriages to women who were teenagers or concurrently married to other men, not to mention other GA's who were marrying teens at old ages and having children with them? Couple this with the church's largess during a recession while many are struggling to make a living I think this will backfire on the church and produce more departures from the faith.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:31PM

for YEARS, and so far they haven't come up with reasonable answers. It's a bad idea to put more information out there and encourage THINKING.

If the church is going to survive, I think their best bet is to stick to the idea that God is "testing us" to see if we'll believe no matter what. And if we don't, we'll lose our families for all eternity.

Of course, the downside of that is that it is manipulative and cruel. But . . . . since WHEN has that bothered the church?

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:35PM

This is just saying that the Mormon church apologists are going to be more aggressive to counter the ease of Mormons finding information on the internet.

Why is this big news?

Posted by: Bubbafide ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:40PM

"Chapters are written by various authors — most of them professors at church-owned Brigham Young University — and tackle tough topics, including the Mormon view of God; the differing accounts of founder Joseph Smith’s “First Vision”; Smith’s money-digging activities and plural marriage to teenage girls; the lengthy quoting of biblical passages in the Book of Mormon; and new questions surrounding the faith’s signature scripture from DNA analysis.

The contributors stress that there are sound answers to these sticky questions. "

I am always stunned by how the church handicaps the critical thinking ability of its members.

Occam's razor can be summerized to state: "The simplest explanation is more likely to be accurate than complicated explanations."

The aformentioned issues and many others can all be explainced by the simple explanation, "smith was a fraud and he made it all up."

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:40PM

What if the brothers were right now contemplating full admission of guilt? What if they have run the numbers and could give up a mass exodus to change their base? What if they are really going to come clean and let the cards fall, with the intent on re-inventing the religion ala the Reorganized LDS? What if this is just only the beginning?

Anyway, back to work. You can stop laughing now...

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:42PM

I think we are going to see a fundamental change coming down the pipeline based on this comment.

Indeed, said Givens, “if you tell a 12-year-old child that Joseph Smith used a ‘peep stone’ in a hat to translate the Book of Mormon, he’ll think that’s cool or interesting.”

Call all of the LDS artists and tell them to start painting. We have to replace all of the pictures that show JS turning pages of the plates.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:50PM

Oh, yeah, because they don't talk with Jesus, they aren't inspired, they aren't prophets, they aren't theologians, they don't know s#it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 12:50PM

The best we can hope for, is that G.A.s and the Apologists do indeed "protest too much". I hope this is the beginning of that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.