Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dorga ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:13PM

Recently, on my nightly bike ride through downtown Salt Lake City, I thought to myself, "none of this would be here if not for the scheme so cleverly played by con-man Joseph Smith." He created a movement that has had a huge impact on the United States and millions of people the world over. I immediately had a strong desire to truly understand who this man really was.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the definitive biography of Smith? Something studied and objective, yet not tainted by the bias of the modern COJCOLDS. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: coopley ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:29PM

"No Man knows my History" is the way to go. Put the whole thing in a different light for me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:40PM

It was published in 1945, but it's just the best. She covers everything.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:42AM

which is what people buy today also has everything. Plus more everything! ;-)

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:20AM

Amen

Posted by: Drunk Sailor ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:42AM

No Man Knows My History. Ms Brodie was David McKay's neice I believe, and had family access to the vault of information the church held on it's history. Her research is impeccable.

It's been a while since I read it however I believe a new edition was published right about 1970.

I once read an interview with her about the book's effect, where she talked about how the book really closed up access to information from the church headquarters.

If you want to know who Joeseph Smith was, this is the book. It remains one of the single biggest PR disasters for the LDS corporation. I say that because she points almost all of her research back to things Joeseph Smith wrote, or actual newspaper accounts of events etc. The footnotes alone are a treasure to behold.

One has a difficult time labeling writings of the prophet "Anti-Mormon"...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.