Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 11:43PM

AnewPerspective
2/3/2012 11:12 AM CST
A PREJUDICE PEOPLE IN NEED OF REFORM (Part 2)

Sadly, once a potential convert to the LDS faith, takes the step to be baptized, to take baptismal covenants to begin patterning their lives after Jesus Christ - is the time many converts are then shunned even more by their family, relatives and friends. Often, the shunning goes beyond disowning, and becomes specific persecution by those who they thought had love for them before being baptized. The persecution often taking the form of; ridicule, name calling, hateful remarks, the tearing down of the new converts religion - resulting in increased separation between the new converts and his/her family.

Thankfully, there are some non-LDS families who love and support their family members regardless of the religion they belong to.

However, my own experience in talking to thousands of converts and members over many years has shown me that non-LDS families, individuals and groups - more often than not - shun and abuse the new convert and/or member far more often than showing love, acceptance, appreciation for the convert members ability to make a choice of religion and faith - based on his/her; love of God, sincere prayer and fasting in regard to their decision.

Many offending families - in their own mis-guided love for their family members, ultimately, and openly punish the convert/member for his/her willingness to use their own critical thinking to make a decision to more closely follow codes of health, Godly devotion, brotherly love, charity, Sabbath & etc,

A reformation of hate, bigotry, religious discrimination and the shunning and persecution of potential converts and active members of the LDS faith by non-member families, individuals and groups to; love, acceptance and kindness - would be a start in reforming the now existing "doctrines of hate" espoused by some non-LDS people(s).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-mormon-church-in-need-of-reform/2012/01/27/gIQA3s44aQ_allComments.html?ctab=all_&#comments

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 06, 2012 11:47PM

And what would this Mormon's attitude be toward one of HIS or HER children running off to become JW's, completely throwing off the LDS heritage that mommy and daddy--and grandmas and grandpas, and brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles, and neighbors and cub scout and boy scout leaders and Young Women leaders, etc.--that they all try to drum into the kid's head before the kid even knew left from right?

The TBM would be crying bloody murder if his or her kid apostatized and converted to another faith outside the family, and yet for a non-member family to be anything but loving and accepting of this Mormon colonization of their kid is somehow the height of persecution of Mormonism.

Pass the barf bag please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 11:50PM by derrida.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 08:22AM

Mormon's interpret disagreement as persecution. It may be these non-mormon families just simply disagree and refuse to say otherwise. They may simply refuse to rearrange their own lives around the demands of the cult - like refusing to change the tradition of having family get-togethers on Sunday because it is the most convenient time for everyone but the new mormon.

The line about 'critical thinking skills' crack me up.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 09:06AM

Interesting. Not anything I saw born out in real life, though. I'm a convert. My dad was a convert. With the possible exception of my dad's Southern Baptist brother, I've never observed any friend or family member shunning either of us. (And even Uncle Baptist was civil and polite after he cooled down. Not that his cult would have been any better.) Nobody tore down the faith, nobody tried to talk me out of it (sadly), nothing like what was quoted in the OP ever happened. I never observed any other converts taking a bunch of crap from their nonmo family for the choice to be mormons.

I think whomever wrote that is projecting. That's how mormons act when you leave the church. That is not how nonmormons act when you join.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 09:07AM by dogzilla.

Date: February 08, 2012 12:12AM

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 12:31AM

It happens.

I'm a convert and when I decided to become mormon my mother told me every day how she didn't love me and that I wasn't her son anymore.

Over the years she mellowed out.

Since I've left mormonism our relationship has improved some... the other day my sister told me "Hey, I was talking to mom yesterday. Did you know you're back in the will?"
To which I said, "I didn't know I was ever not in the will."
"Yup, she took you out when you became mormon."

So yes, non-mormon athiests can be assholes to family too.

Date: February 08, 2012 02:04AM

I think what was escaping the Mormon poster was that Mormons are very much capable of acting just as freaked out and angry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 02:04AM by derrida.

Posted by: Eliza Snow job ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 07:04AM

There's no getting around it: Mormonism is filled with bitter, hateful feelings whether one is coming or going. People need to be educated and just avoid it all together.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:59AM

As a convert, I was never shunned by any member of my extended family, despite some of them being strong CofE (Anglican).

More recently. I have never experienced shunning, now that I have made it plain that I am an Atheist [Agnostic Atheist.... but Atheist for all intents and purpose].

Perhaps the liberal tradition of Anglicanism doesnt lend itself to 'shunning' like a *proper* religion (like Mormonism) would.
[unless you're a filthy papist of course]
[I kid..... I kid]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:01AM by EssexExMo.

Date: February 08, 2012 11:41AM

I was warned about the Mormons by my Baptist grandparents before jumping into the LDS church, but no one in my family ever shunned me or even seemed to give two bits about it one way or the other.

The only thing I regret is that I recall at times feeling like I was special and if I showed them by my example how wonderful being a Mormon was, and how righteous and honest and clean I was, that they would want to drop everything they were doing and convert, or at the very least wish they could be as cool as me.

How dopey. And my non-Mormon family never batted an eye. Sometimes I guess blood is thicker than Joseph Smith's system of enticement and magical submission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 11:42AM by derrida.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.