Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:11AM

Some common issues below that many of those leaving the church struggle with. Whose brain would you pick to find out what you need to know in your own journey towards an authentic life and you?

Reason being, I intend to record myself interviewing psychologists, book authors, etc, on these topics for some research and post them for all to hear.

Note I'm not interested in history experts, as that topic has been done to death and seems to be more relevant in the "leaving" phase of the journey, not the "recovering/healing" phase.

Grief
Fear
Anger
Denial
Anxiety
Sadness
How emotions actually work (no "bad" feelings)
finding new purpose
finding new spirituality
finding new friends and community
getting emotional support
Establishing self esteem
being mindful / more conscious
Learning to be independent, critical thinker, authentic, assertive
clarifying values
Adjusting to the "real world"
getting acquainted with new sexual practices and values
getting acquainted with alcohol, coffee, tea
getting used to new underwear, lol
establishing a new, authentic identity
replacing old beliefs
Managing relationships with family and friends
Dealing with boundaries, codependency
Choosing a new status (inactive, resigned, etc)
And ultimately, Moving On!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:48PM

I don't think I need to interview anyone on any of these subjects. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, it's just that all these topics have been dealt with here on RFM time and time again. There are some pretty smart people on here and most are ExMos and know what they are talking about. We're all trying to recover from mormonism and,can in a way, lean on each other. For myself, I thank all who post here even though I don't always agree. I have grown in my understanding and do not see a need for outside interviews.
However, a psychologist that has helped many people to recover may help, " Non LDS." Book authors that are writing from experience may be helpful, and people who are recovering from other cults, such as JWs, may lend a lot of insight. Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 06:13PM by orphan.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 06:14PM

John Dehlin
Steve Benson
Shawn McCraney
Sandra Tanner
Richard Packham
Simon Southerton

I can think of many RFMr's but others who know them personally would be better for recommending them based on their professions and accomplishments. I have enjoyed and found interesting all the above people and also those on exmormonscholars testify. Learned a whole lot from that site when I was still a member and was questioning my faith, exmormonscholars helped me get started on finding my way out.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:05PM

Some people prefer consuming their content in audio format or may not have been around for previous discussion on these topics, so I hope some will benefit. Maybe I'll have comments available and invite community discussion under each episode, but there will be a limited number as I don't want an ongoing podcast.

1st interview is being scheduled now, to cover passive-aggressiveness and boundaries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.