Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:20PM

Just had this life shaking dream.It was SO REAL. I sent my letter off almost two years ago to the stake president ans since have joined the uniting church. Anyway have never got any confirmation of my resignation. In my dream everybody I had known and loved asked me to come back. It was so real and painful. One even said LOOK WE DONT BELIEVE BUT PLEASE STAY. YOU CANT JUST FORGET.Then it was the ward clerks turn to tell me he had. not processed my resignation in 2010.I woke remembering all I have lost and ztarted this crazy dialogue. How can I find out whether my resignation was complete. Is it normal to be so manipulated IN YOUR FRIKIN DREAMS? It was such a real experience. I woke up thinking I should have stayed for my family and loved ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:28PM

Those years of conditioning can be frightening. There are times when I still find myself mildly fearing about what will happen if I'm wrong - if I really did blow my chance at eternal salvation.

And then I think about everything I've learned. The doctrine doesn't stand up to logic and reason, the history doesn't stand up to logic and reason and the true-believing members employ no logic and reason. And then I feel better.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:32PM

You might want to consider contacting member records to find out if your resignation was processed, as well. I had a link but the board won't let me post it. =(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 05:34PM by dressclothes.

Posted by: red pill ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:44PM

From another ex mormon web site:
www.utlm.org/onlineresources/nameremovalletter.htm

LDS Church Membership Dept. at (801) 240-3500

Give them a call and inquire as to the status. I felt my bishop was dragging his feet and hadn't heard anything back, so I call the membership department. The gentleman was very helpful. He had not received it. I gave him the name of my bishop and ward and a couple of weeks later we received a letter from the church indicating our names were removed (with instructions on how to rejoin.) It may have been coinsident or maybe they made a call to my bishop. I don't know.

If you are not sure, you can always find the nearest bishop and send him a letter.

I am not a believer of interpreting dreams. I think your mind runs simulations while you sleep just to try and improve chances for survival. Many times they are current issues or unresolved things from your past or just random memories and your brain tries to make a story out of them. I wouldn't put much emphasis on the dreams. There are studies that show animals dream. I am sure a cat dream is related to his observations and experiences and not a cat god or ghost trying to send messages.

You should stay focused on the intelligent and rational decision you have made to get out.

I have been out 7 years and still occasionally have disturbing dreams about mormons. I think it is normal.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:12PM

This is what I think when they are weird. When they are delightful I am proud of myself for having them.

But I have never had a "dream come true" or turn out to be anything other than my own random thought patterns. They may have made me think about things more deeply than I might have, but so does an interesting (or cranky for that matter) comment from a friend.

Go ahead and think about how your soul would feel right now if you had "stayed in for my family and loved ones."

It takes a long long long time to get over the conditioning. i have not set foot in a mormon church since 1988 (ok there was a funeral in 1998) yet here I am in this forum.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:19PM

The upshot is that you are OK, you have moved on, and you had a "fear" dream that you may have made a mistake.
Forget that! You are just fine the way you are, and even though it may be your heritage, you can step out of it and be a whole human being.

Fill your thoughts, your world with positive images and positive thoughts.
You can let the negativity go and not allow it to drag you down.

I have recommended this little book many times. I found it very helpful. It's one of my favorites.

It's the same kind of common sense teachings I grew up with ...
Wisdom from the Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

This Charming Petiteā„¢ edition excerpts the best-selling original book in a concise and readable way, presenting

"The Four Agreements":

Be impeccable with your word;

Don't take anything personally;

Don't make assumptions;
and Always do your best

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:26PM

I'm not an expert on dreams, but my guess would be that your brain is just trying to point out there you've got unfinished business there.

Call the membership records and get this sorted out. You deserve that final "you're out" letter.

*hugs*

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:32PM

What if they didn't process ANYBODY'S resignation but instead had a special calling of Temple Mason who's job was to chisel the name of EVERY person submitting a letter of resignation into the interior wall of a Temple in letters 18 inches tall? What if later, the Temple Jewler hammers gold leaf into the letters and when Temple patrons see those gold leafed names chiseled into the Temple walls they are required to raise the front of their washing and anointing ponchos to the square and flapping the poncho as violently as possible recite the lyrics of Itsy Bitsy Spider? Would it really make any difference in any rational person's day to day life? That's how I regard the Mormon Church's name removal ritual. Who cares?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:13PM

Especially concerning any events/situations that bring up any trauma or painful emotions.

Sometimes you won't have one for months, years, a decade and then one night you'll have a very vivid and intense dream; It almost feels real, like a horrible memory you want to permanently discard.

If you start having this dream frequently, it may mean you want to "resign" from something else in your life, but don't feel like you will get out of it. Otherwise, it may be just a subconcious trigger in the last day or so.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:45PM

Call SLC and tell the sheep there that if they don't get the letter out to you immediately, you'll go to a lawyer and the media. That should get the wheels turning!

Virtual hug sent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.