Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:47PM

The phrase "losing virginity" is the creation of fundamentalists who see sex as an evil except in the service of procreation. So they enlist terminology to create the desired pejoritive connotation.

When you first have sex, you are not really "losing" anything. You are actually "gaining" something, the experience of participating in the most pleasurable and meaningful of all human interactions.

Instead of ending a life of abstenance, you are starting a life of participation.

So instead of asking "when did you lose your virginity?, ask "when did you begin your sex life?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:50PM

You are not really missing something, if it's not something you can see or feel.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:59PM

O.O Well, from a girl's point of view it's definitely something that can be seen and felt until a while after the "losing" has happened. :D :D :D

Date: February 09, 2012 02:24PM

Well, sure a woman looses something, but having been raised in the church, I was taught never to consider the needs of the women.

Date: February 09, 2012 02:25PM

How about "finding ones groove."

Date: February 09, 2012 02:04PM

I agree with your sentiment. In my own head, for fun, I'm thinking, "I had my vagina pierced before I had my ears pierced." LOL

(And I had a really lousy first lover, so the piercing analogy is pretty accurate. Unfortunately. :P )

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:10PM

Also, the 'losing your virginity' concept implies 'penis in vagina' sex as the pinnacle or pivoltal or crux of human sexuality, when really there is a full range of sexualities and sexual behaviours and each person can decide for themselves where and when their own sex lives begin. IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 02:11PM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:23PM

I prefer, "popped my cherry" anyway.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:23PM

"pre-boinked" doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:28PM

Just thinking... I usually don't reply to these kinds of threads... Old Mormon hang-ups even though I'm a technical Nevermo...

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:50PM

That's how I always referred to it, that's what I encourage people to use.

Losing something implies a value that you no longer have. Sexism is deeply rooted in these little sayings. If people want to cotinue using "losing," that's their decision, but I prefer a different phrasing.

Date: February 10, 2012 08:54AM

Date: February 10, 2012 08:55AM

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:31PM

WTF? It's a phrase used, live with it. Might be just as stupid as "take a $shit", when we all know we actually "leave" one.

Ron

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:55PM

Tabula Rasa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WTF? It's a phrase used, live with it. Might be
> just as stupid as "take a $@#$%&", when we all
> know we actually "leave" one.
>
> Ron

Agree. It is just a phrase.

I use the phrase first time I had sex. I don't admit to gaining or losing anything, and it is an accurate description. I guess I could say the first time I had penis/vaginal sex, but most people don't need the clarification.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:37PM

Men could use "baptized". That way, spagetti oh's objection could be accomodated.

"I finally got baptized last night, it was just a papist sprinkling, but she was really into it. Hopefully next time it'll be full immersion."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 07:21PM

That would give new meaning to "high baptizing missions." :o)

Posted by: Voce d' Sicce ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:57PM

That and other "bothersome" phrases like "protecting one's chastity". I was raped by the 13-yr-old who lived across the street. I grew up believing/totally convinced that gawd didnt' love me. Hell, how could he? I was damaged, unchaste, impure, (all that other bullshit) before I understood what any of it meant.

Oh, the temple marriage head-trip the old lady used to lay on me. No man would ever want me. I was unworthy, 'cause I wasn't a virgin. Boo-fucking-hoo.

I "lost" my virginity, my chastity, my innocence . . . no, what I lost was my childhood.

I'll give you "live with it." What other choice did I have?

Sicce

Date: February 09, 2012 03:13PM

Yes, since men never "lose" anything when losing virginity, not even reputation, some of the dudes posting are letting their majority privilege show, and are completely unaware of it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:23PM

The term losing your virginity reduces what for many is a huge beautiful moment in their lives down to just "the act".. when it is so much more for so many.

It is a right of passage and deserves a more fitting marker. You're right, it really should be "finding sensuality" because nothing is really lost under the right circumstances.

Just another negative from religion.

Maybe those young girls,then, who were forced, could look at it as still having something beautiful to find. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to come to terms with that, but I know they are "no less" and I hope they all learn that too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 03:24PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:44PM

Quit telling people how to talk, asshole.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:33PM

Thank you for telling him that. Someone needed to tell him not to say things like that. Good work.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:50PM

yeah.... and why do I have to call today thursday, when I dont believe in thor?

and do I have to call it an 'escalator' when it's taking me down?

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 04:02PM

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 08:49PM

I thought of it more as "casting off my inexperience".

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:25PM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:32PM

I call it "finding my balls."

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:57PM

Very relevant to the hang-ups of mormonism.
It's the old "pine box" dogma popularized by Spencer W. Kimball in "Miracle of Forgiveness".
I was instructed to read this book by a well-meaning young bishop as I was returning to the church from teenage inactivity. I had had inept sex with a few partners, but more significantly, my GF at the time had "given it up" to me, and we had decided to repent and I was going on a mission, and we were gonna get married.
Well I was shocked to find out, in that book, HOW bad a thing we had done...the sin next to murder...and that a true saint would rather see their child dead than to lose their "virtue", and that you might as well be dead because you can never get it back.
I drove her away by guilting her (she was reluctant to confess to her bishop, I egged her on). Her bishop guilted her too. Well, she wised up and dumped me. It took me another 18 years and a near-suicide from the guilt I heaped on myself to figure it out.
The virginity complex is just a form of sexism, misogynism to be precise. It's a total hang up that virginity is somehow virtuous in itself, and that "losing" it is a sin except on your wedding night.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 11:00PM

Posted by: theothergal ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:06AM

And so my fellow Americans, ask NOT when did you lose your virginity, ask when did you start your sex life.

Or maybe ask, when did you start banging your 19-year old intern?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.