Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:02PM

Sorry to re-hash. The thread got too many visitors.

The Wikipedia information about LDS missions actually seems correct and current. It shows 45 mission in Europe, without specifying which closed or "consolidated." If you know enough to make the comparisons, you can really see the difference.

Correction about Italy: They never had six missions there as someone has stated. The max was four missions (Milan, Padova, Rome, and Catania). Now they are down to what they were in 1971. Sweet. That's progress for you.

It's a strong statement to see where missions are in Africa, and how few of them there are. It is, for God's sake, the largest continent in the world and is teeming with people. It represents the Mormons' greatest success, too, as almost anyone will convert if only talked to. Yet they only have a few missions there, and I think that says something in itself about what the situation actually is in the church. (I think that the LDS church has since installed a mission in Ethiopia, but otherwise it's up to date.)

I love the comment by aprikoros! I'm happy that someone knows about the area. I was living in Kinshasa when LDS church security visited some of us at the embassy and wanted advice regarding Kinshasa. The regional security officer himself said to get the American missionaries out of Kinshasa. They wouldn't do it. So they asked a co-worker of mine. He said, "Get them the hell out!" Then they asked me, and my advice was the same. So then when I was back in the states one time, the had me in to Church & Co. HQ to talk about the security there, and they even took me to lunch. My message was the same. When I got back, we went through a big round of military violence. My wife and I were pinned down in a building for three days. The American senior couples went out on their balcony and filmed some of the shooting. They only got humbled when the took an RPG round to the other balcony. The church still refused to pull them out. Now I notice that the Kinshasa mission is temporarily being run out of someplace else, probably Jo-Burg, SA. Morons, all of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:07PM

something special to this board.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:16PM

I recall when the 'England London East' Mission was located in the heart of Hornchurch.... a suburb of Romford (Chav Central). IIRC. It only lasted a couple of years. We heard that the Mission President didnt like being so far outside central London (20 miles) so the mission was absorbed back into the 'England London Mission'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.