Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 05:29PM

..a Church-wide basketball tournament??!!

It should have been dubbed "There will be Blood". Fierce competition, fights, swearing... it was great!!!

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:18PM

Ward Ball..... we called it war ball

First time I ever saw a bishop punch out a point gaurd

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:27PM

That would be fun to watch.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:39PM

Those were fun times. Also, dance festivals, speech festivals, roadshows, RS bazaars, etc. Then correlation came along and sucked the life out of the church.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:32PM

Road shows!! I was in a couple of dreadful ones...

Remember when church meeting WEREN'T a three hour block? I remember going to primary at some really random time.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:33PM

Remember when Saturday's Warrior and My Turn on Earth were touring?

Sorry that was supposed to end up at the bottom...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 07:34PM by nowI'mfound.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:35PM

I was in our Stake's production of Saturday's Warrior in the 90's!

I never believed the spiritual / doctrinal message even then, but I had a lot of fun in church back then socially.

I have always questioned the wisdom in cutting back on all the social programmes and fun things - the only reason for going as a teenager. Surely the BIG15 must know the doctrine alone isn't enough to keep teenagers and young adults attending?

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:39PM

Absolutely. first time I found out that if your feet are planted and the oponent runs you down, it is his foul. If your feet are moving, it is yours. I got ran down several times. Took me once to learn that rule.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:42PM

Peabody: Here we are, Sherman, in mid-century Mormondom. Amusing, eh?

Sherman: Why do they hate the black people?

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:43PM

Do they still have sports? I could potentially use the info to throw out there to my husband if they don't because his best memories are playing baseball and sports stuff with them.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:17PM

Posted by: Dr B. (Buzzard Bait) ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 07:21PM

I played in the Church basket ball, Saw the road shows, enjoyed Greatly the Gold & Green Balls, In fact set up with wife and arranged them. We actually had open Gospel study lessons, I know because I was the teacher. I met my wife at a church mutual Dance after the lessons. This church does not exist any more. Boredom and kindergarden lessons rein in it's stead. Guilt trips rein supreme. The dictatorship rules all! I have been there and not far from my 80th birthday.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:45PM

I remember road shows, dances, christmas parties, talent shows, ward or stake dinners and many more fun things to do at church. We had yard sales , BBQ sales and car washes to raise money for our part for a new chapel. We used to cut and split firewood and sell it to raise money. We helped the scouts raise money for their needs or the relief society or the EQ. No more, all that friendship bonding is gone. The big 15 has spoken. Jim

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:06PM

Then they decided the END is coming! Time to get serious. Knock off anything thats fun. Round up anyone and everyone before the end.
Then the end didn't come. Now what? We have a mall to build! Get the TBM's under so much pressure to perform on a business/job level. Don't pay anyone for anything. Get that damn mall built before the cash flow dries up. Oh yeah and make sure nobody is gay or thinks for themselves in any way, that way we'll still look like a church. Gotta get rid of those. But get that damn mall built!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:21PM

I heard about these. What a great way to buildup and socialize thru sports and competition!

TSCC once offered gr8 outlets and bonding opportunites for its members on a very human level.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:58PM

I remember it being called "Church Ball" and it was deadly serious. The competition became too fierce, the priesthood said, and it went the way of the rest of the fun.

Do the wards still go to pageants together? I haven't been in so long I have no clue.

Ana

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:04AM

Those were almost as riotous as the basketball tourneys. I played second base, and got some sweet revenge with tags on people coming down from first. Once put an energetic tag to the cojones of a bishop for whom I had a big dislike ... now that felt sweet!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:00AM

Warren Jeffs is following the lead of the Big 15: take away the fun. News item today is that Jeffs has ordered all the FLDS kids to give up their bicycles and trampolines.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:41AM

As a kid interested in basketball, I liked to watch the broadcasts. I was too young to play on a Church team. The best teams usually had one or two former college players or former high school stars so there were actually some players with real talent. This was in the early 1950s, so it was 60 years ago.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:42AM

I have heard so many tales from my grandparents as well as parents, about how things "used to be". My grandpa and his best friend (my grandpa is deceased, his friend now the stake patriarch), were such a fierce duo on the softball field that they were known both for their talent as well as their mouthy mouths. This was when they were in the bishopric together. :).

My grandma was yw prez and I've seen pics of the green and gold galas, and heard all about how my moms cousins and siblings all participated in the dance festivals at the rose bowl. Can you imagine? Sigh. It sounds so fun.

My mom and her best friend co wrote a roadshow together, and I was little but got to be a mouse, and remember my costume vividly, and how proud I was to participate. I think once my mom played Emma smith in a stake production.

Anyway, none......I repeat none of this was available to me as a youth.

I do remember a few years ago our region tried to put together a dance festival, and manystakes participated, but our SP rejected the invite we received to participate. I was yw prez at the time, and was really upset. The girls were, too. Buzzkill abounds.

And they are so perplexed about the young adults who drop like flies. Duh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.