Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: glass-3/4 full ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:23PM

I live in the Seattle area. Many people I know attend Mars Hill church. Why? I just don't understand. He has a large following in this area. However, I believe Mark Driscoll will be the un-doing of the very church he has established. He is receiving a lot of negative publicity of late, and his response to it reveals his arrogance. I find so many parallels with the Mormon Church in the patriarchal, misogynistic, totalitarian control of his followers. I hope there will be safe place for support of those who are hurt by Mars Hill church like exmormon.org. They are going to need it.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:32AM

Humans have an evolution-based need to belong to a strong tribe. That was what allowed humans to flourish. The tribe meant survival, while no tribe meant death. The hallmark of a strong tribe is a strong leader, which evidently describes Mark Driscoll. The downside is that once a man gains control of a tribe then there is a tendency for him to exercise unjust dominion and abuse the power. That is what he is doing. I wouldn't give Driscoll the time of day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.