Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:33PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/53490109-82/downtown-state-wine-grocery.html.csp

"Under the first heading is this:
"Luring people to live downtown is what the LDS Church has in mind with its investment in high-rise condos surrounding the retail City Creek Center. The opening of Harmons City Creek this week will do a lot to help."

Uh...how can you have large mormon familes AND live downtown...especially in high rise condos???

Oh yea and this of course:
"They can even sign up for classes in cooking and wine- and cheese-tasting. We’re getting hungry just thinking about it."

The harmons by me has a great cheese selection. I went there once to get cheese for a wine and cheese thing at my house. I asked the cheese person, what cheese goes best with cabernet....She just stared at me for a minute ,Stated she couldn't help me, then went and got someone else.

It's articles like this along with my own experiences that though Utah is "trying" to be sophisticated, collectively, it's like dealing with adults, and haven't matured past the age of 12, playing "Grownups"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 12:40PM by nonmo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:39PM

Wine and cheese tasting is just want those good TBMs need. How's the coffee and tea selection? Is there a Starbucks near temple square?

Date: February 11, 2012 12:41PM

I know there are locally owned coffee shops in downtown...how close to temple square...I don't know

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:03PM

I am THRILLED that Harmon's is opening next week. I work across the street and it has been terrible not having a grocery store anywhere downtown. The 300 seat cafe on the 2nd floor sounds wonderful for lunches sometimes, since the only other option has been the food court filled with fast food offerings and thousands of COB workers in their white shirts! I HATED going in there the few times I wanted lunch outside the office.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:27PM

Yea...Harmons does make a nice high end grocery store...but I can't afford to do my regular shopping there....

Something is better than nothing downtown I guess..

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 05:45PM

It was called Keith Warshaws Market.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:02PM

I would have said cheez whiz just to see if you bought my answer.

Posted by: Elohim ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:03PM

Easy. Velveeta.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:09PM

I think (obviously?) they're aiming for the well-to-do retired set, condos for High-End rollers who live too far away to communte to HQ or a Jazz game.

D'Oh!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 05:39PM

I'm reminded when the Hinckster said that the block of Main Street that the Church bought from the city would be like "a little bit of Paris."

Yeah, right.

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:52PM

wouldn't that be cheese and grape juice tasting??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.