Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 11:44PM

Does anyone know anything about a recent poll that features Monson as one of the top ten respected leaders. Would like to know how the poll was conducted, by whom, and how accurate it could be. It's supposedly a world poll so his inclusion makes it suspect to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:03AM

http://www.gallup.com/poll/151790/barack-obama-hillary-clinton-again-top-admired-list.aspx

Gallup is a respected polling organization, so I have no problem believing the results of the survey. However, knowing how many Mormons block-vote (Romney just won the Nevada primary vote with about 90 percent of Mormons supporting him there), it seems likely that something similar occurred in the Gallup poll. I would guess that the vast majority of respondents had NO IDEA who Monson is, but of the small numbers of Mormons who were questioned, nearly all of them chose their "beloved leader."

Hope this helps!

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:04AM

Let me guess, all those surveyed who listed Monson were Mormon.

I would be curious to see if many non-lds respondents chose Monson. I'm trying to think how the non-lds outside of Utah would even know who Monson is. He doesn't exactly have the visibility of a John Paul II or even a Pat Robertson.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:07AM

You actually think maybe there were more non-mormons voting for Monson than there were mormons voting for some other guy?

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:12AM

I have trouble imagining even one non-Mormon voting for Monson as most respected. But maybe I'm overlooking some important acheivements by him that even people outside the church admire? Nothing really comes to mind ...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:32PM

Don't forget all the construction workers, sales clerks, and store owners working because of the City Creek Mall.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:17AM

Somehow, I think this survey was gamed.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:21PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:39PM

I would be more trusting if it was a zogby poll.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:39AM

Monson topped the list of pretentious ass-hat bastards who lord of the dumbshit class.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:39AM

Amen!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:19PM

The vote was obviously split by the non-Mormons picking a diversity of different admired personalities, whereas the Mormons all voted for Monson. I guarantee almost no non-Mormons picked Monson.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:24PM

He was mentioned by 1% of respondents--ranking under Donald Trump.

Big whoop!

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:59PM

by spreading the news in chain e-mails, message boards, and at church. It's like in 2000 when Time was having people vote on who they thought should be the "man of the century" Gordo Hinckley was in the top 5 (or something like that). I doubt that any non-Mormons (unless they lived in the Morridor) had any idea who Gordo was.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:24PM

Thanks for the responses. I think Ex-Cultmember hits the nail on the head and explains to me why such an obscure person, even within the US, could even rank in such a poll. Of course, exposing my own biases, any kind of poll that includes Sarah Palin and Donald Trump has got to be suspect.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:40PM

I think he just bought his way onto the list. :)

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:54PM

According to the Mormon Church stats, Mormons are about 2% of the U.S. population. However ACTIVE Mormons are about 1% of the U.S. population.

Monson came in 10th by getting 1% of the vote. That corresponds to the active Mormon percent of the U.S. population.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 08:55PM by baura.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 12:32AM

I can guarantee if you asked your regular never mo person who doesn't live in Utah the name of the President of the LDS church, they wouldn't know. I didn't know who Hinckley was before I joined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 12:33AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 01:17AM

I can totally smell the BS. So ridiculous how the cult and its brainwashed followers can believe this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.