Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:08PM

I have been looking at several channels and no one is identifying the church, even though they have cameras inside.

I think this is odd as public funerals are usually introduced by mentioning where the service is taking place and who spoke words of comfort to the congregation.

They showed Amazing Grace being sung and said the family thanks people "of all faiths" for their messages of condolence.

Hmmmmmm. I am smelling Mormon PR at work. Am I way off?

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:10PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:14PM

Not a Mormon church, and a Pastor spoke, and that churches choir sang.

It did make me wonder what the Mormon connection of the families is. How did Josh and Susan end up Mormon?

Posted by: licoricemoratorium ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:19PM

Their LDS church was not large enough to handle the expected crowd, also they wanted the funeral to be televised so family in Utah could see it and this larger Christian church was set up for that while the LDS church is not.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:27PM

That makes sense. But the mo church lost out on an opportunity to present The Plan of Salvation to a huuuuge audience. ;-)

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:30PM

a larger one at an Assemblies of God mega church and a 2nd smaller one at a Mormon church.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:29PM

I watched about 5 minutes of the live stream from the funeral....that's all I could stand, as some Mormon guy was up there preaching the plan of salvation.

Date: February 11, 2012 07:37PM

I knew it. The lack of affect in the grandparents was familiar to me from Mormon services. It's conviction that this life is just preamble for the next, and the lack of tears is a sign of faith, OR-- medication.

Heartbreaking. I feel sorry for everyone involved--social worker, 911 operator, but I have to say that I think the city has a moral obligation to make their 911 operators aware of stories in their coverage area which have world-wide interest. How can the 911 operator say he did not recognize the danger? Does he not listen to the news? Get news on the internet? Get briefed by his superiors that the only suspect in a murder is living in his coverage area?

Don't 911 operators have any kind of education in potential trouble spots in their areas?

Anagrammy

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:51PM

When one of our neighbors died, my mother was so impressed his wife didn't cry at the funeral (yes, they were mormon) that she talked of it often. Then when my father died, my mother did the same thing and was so disdainful of us kids who did cry. Sheesh.

I saw the 911 operator on Dateline or 20/20 last night and he said he knew who Josh Powell was, but didn't link the name at the time. Too bad the social worker who knew all the details didn't think to remind him "this guy is the psychopath who is suspected of killing his wife in Utah and now it looks like he's going to lose custody of those kids he's holding in the house."

But even that may not have been enough to save the kids. Who knows what the fire response time is there. Even here it can easily take 5 minutes.

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:52PM

My experience as a police officer suggests not. Our 911 operators were isolated in some distant bunker on the other side of the county. They just wanted to get the calls dispatched to any available officer. Often there weren't any available officers.

Posted by: Doxi, not logged in. ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:16PM

anagrammy Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't 911 operators have any kind of education in
> potential trouble spots in their areas?
>
> Anagrammy
==============================================
My husband did!

He always said that he would rather err on the side of caution.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:12PM

I hope the 'host church' put STRICT conditions on the funeral: NO MO Stuff!

Mo Churches are So Sterile....
I don't see how ANYONE enjoys going to one!

Blessings for the boys & for Susan, and the remaining family.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:14PM

The funeral seems to mark a different way of referring to Susan Cox Powell now. Whereas in the past 2 years it seems everyone has been careful to call her a missing person, today they referred many times to the boys being in her arms, acknowledging what everyone has already felt, that she is deceased.

I hope that her remains are recovered someday so that this family can lay her to rest.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:32PM

It was originally planned for a stake center, but the Assembly of God offered their facilities when it became apparent that they needed more room. They often do this when the funeral is too big for regular churches.

Date: February 11, 2012 09:28PM

dispatch info, PNW.

In large orgs, the 'call taker' person is a different task than the actual 'Dispatch' function.

the call taker k.boards the info into the computer, which is often real-time monitored by a dispatcher. "CAD" computer aided dispatching. It's a higher skill level to dispatch; Dispatchers should be able to know where police are by memory in case systems fail.

someone assigns a priority code: 1 for a crime 'in progress'
2 for a serious crime with no suspect info, or suspicious circumstances with possible suspects seen, 3 for others.
If a caller WHINES, they may get a True 3 bumped to a 2, but NOT TO A ONE.

Often, the smaller cities combine dispatch operations.
Also, Fish & Game, Prisons, and other agencies need their own centers because of higher specialization.

Inter-dispatching with Federal Agencies (FBI, DEA, etc) is very rare, even the state police/state patrol Greatly prefer to have their own dispatchers, and this is possible via remote facilities.

Date: February 11, 2012 09:37PM

-watching more of the service now-

the attitude of other pastor(s) at funerals is SO MUCH MORE APPROPRIATE than preaching 'the Plan of Salvation'...

Preaching MoStuff at funerals is PURE EXPLOITATION; if I were to ever experience it, I'd VOMIT.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:57PM

I watched CNN coverage of the case yesterday. They had Susan's parent's on. Her dad kept mentioning 'the bishop'. I was so surprised by how calm they were,the dad did shed a few tears. But I think I would have been a blubbering mess if my 2 grandchildren had just been murdered. I'm sure they are in shock,but I bet more than anything they are thinking of what they are being told. Their boys are in a better place. So sad.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:35AM

I think that we should give the grandparents a break regardless of their religion. Right now, they are in shock so please don't judge the lack of tears as being something other than shock. Give them some time to heal. Anybody in the situation they are in (no matter their beliefs) need to have time to heal. Just my opinion.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:35AM

Date: February 12, 2012 03:40AM

+10

Date: February 12, 2012 02:20PM

Sadness and anger alternating

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:42PM

NO. This was orchestrated by those that wanted to participate. Where a church funeral is held determines a lot about what the speakers say and how it is conducted. Yes, the Plan of Salvation is usually part of an LDS funeral, just as some kind of religious belief is part of some other kind of funeral.

It will take years for the two families to find any peace from these tragedies. This will haunt the Cox family the rest of their lives.Their concerns, their involvement will make it so much more difficult. They will be flooded with so many emotions for a very long time.

The Cox family have been very open and available to speak to the press in a cohesive manner.

Please, people, understand that people grieve differently. There are no rules about how to grieve. We cannot impose our speculation on how we would grieve on someone else.

We really know so little about this whole situation. I for one would not want to be walking in the shoes of those grandparents!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.