Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ba'al Zevuv ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 10:18AM

My daughter had "New Beginnings" last night for mutual. On Valentine's Day. If I wanted to spend any time with the wife and daughter last night, I had to attend. Here are my thoughts:

I was amazed at the level of brainwashing that was going on. I attend LDS services twice a year in an effort at keeping the wife happy but this was a whole 'nother level of brainwashing.

One of the female adult leaders said a few times in her talk, "our children are being raised in enemy territory [or behind enemy lines]). Wow. Talk about promoting a siege and/or a persecuted mentality. While I don't think the LDS church is a classic cult, this persecution complex really bothers me.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 11:46AM

I don't know if this is something that can be safely discussed in your home. But it WAS just a YW leader who said that. Not a GA or other infallible person (sarcasm alert!).

Maybe your wife/daughter would be open to discuss that maybe the lady is a bit paranoid? People are just people. Nobody is "out to get" your daughter or your family.

Well . . . actually, the CHURCH IS. They are the only people plotting how to influence and control individual people within their ward. Maybe that's why they assume other people actually CARE what you believe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 11:51AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but LD$ Inc. is indeed a classic cult.
The sooner you deal with this fact the better.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 11:57AM

I would talk to W/D and ask them what they thought that means. I would ask them if they thought that was true and why.
Start a discussion if you can, so you can express your thoughts about the topic.
I think the church uses fear to keep people in. That may only be one small incident, but they add up week after week. The next thing you know they have a huge fear and misunderstanding of how the world works outside of mormonism. That's not good for anyone.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:06PM

Could you tell us more about what the night was all about? Because my concern with the brainwashing at an event like this is that it ties a girl's self-worth to how well she jumps through Mormon hoops. I'd like to know if it's like this all over or just in some places, if you feel comfortable sharing more. Thanks.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:08PM

Egads! If I were to attend my daughter's SS class, I doubt I could keep my mouth shut and/or my head from exploding.

Posted by: nicole456 ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 02:24AM

A few years ago our new beginnings theme was 'live in the world but not of it' and I still have a lovely picture of all of us YW at Seven Peaks wearing mens swim trunks and t-shirts. All the talks we had to sit through made it seem like the whole world wants us to be bad people and we have to rebel against them, that always bugged me.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 09:14AM

Oh my word I'll be having to do this in two weeks. FACEPALM!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.