Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:57AM

I am very ill thinking about this necro dunking of any people that seems to be the bad Mo media flavor of the week. What gives TBMs the right to decide for ANYONE including their own ancestors what religion any person should be?
So meek people ask them to stop the practice...........COME ON PEOPLE, YOU DON'T REALLY THINK THAT WILL DO IT, it hasn't yet. They pay it lip service for an hour or two, "Oh we will stop doing that." YEAH RIGHT, NOT!!!!
Let's stop asking (like little weak idiots) and fight fire with a nuke.
Let's publish lists of TBM names (starting with the 15) that are now baptized as Catholics, Presbyterians, any religion other than TBM. Make sure the media hears about it.
It is going to take their own medicine in big gagging doses to accomplish the goal. Anyone with me on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 01:57AM by enoughenoch19.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:32AM

Necro-dunking, doctrinally (although "doctrine" in mormonism is as slippery as an eel), is not binding.
And, even if mormons THOUGHT it was binding, it ISN'T.
It's no different than any other form of praying for the dead, and ritualizing the dead is, IMO, a basic human instinct.
It's EXTREMELY insulting and poor taste, for sure, for example, to necro-dunk Jews who were murdered in the holocast for BEING Jews...
...BUT, if some deluded Christian or Muslim who frets over the hoards of "unsaved" children of God wants to use publically disclosed records to make a list of them all and ritualize them, is s/he not free to do so?

...And, I'm STILL of the opinion that Bill Maher was badly distasteful to mock the temple ritualization of Ann Romney's father.
I got responses from that saying even Ann didn't have the right to change her father's religion...BUT SHE DIDN'T. Her ritualization is not binding on him in any way. There's no legal effect, and from my atheistic perspective, there's definitely no divine-authority effect. The whole exercise is moot...except for the sensitivities of the survivors...and the sensitivities of direct descendants, IMO, trump all others.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:43AM

They do consider it a done deal because they think no one in the afterlife would be so dumb as to not accept their "gift" of membership. The only way out is if dead morg leaders proclaim someone as too sinful to accept into the fold.

Face it. There is not one word of evidence that there is a name removal process available to individual spirits in the hereafte.

Mortals baptized at age eight also have a choice and that is resignation.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:30PM

But they miss the point on how stupid it would be to follow Satan, or not choose sides in the premortal world.

It is truly a religion for people how like answers not questions.

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:55PM

It's not about whether or not it's real and binding. We all know it's a bunch of hooey.

It's about how it makes THEM feel superior and arrogant, as if they've done people a favor. I keep hearing all the Mormons say, "We're not forcing baptism on anyone; it will be their choice in the next life." Well, what about this life? What about teaching an entire organization of church members that you hold the key to salvation for many deceased people? How do you think that buoys them up?

It's an attitude that makes all of us potential targets for them. If you tell them, "I'm out of your church," their reaction is, "We'll get you on our roster someday, even if you're dead." It's not okay. It's disrespectful. I could care less about the dead. I don't believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in spirits. I do want Mormons to realize the impact this practice has on how they conduct themselves in THIS life, because it gives them a false sense of smugness and superiority.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:33AM

Cheryl, yin, enoughenoch 19, you are all correct and spot on!Many others also stated what this is all about...Mormons feeling superior, Mormons feeling they have the final say on dead people, Mormons again getting their jabs in at NonMormons in an emotional way, so I say YES. FIGHT fire with a nuke. NOW is the time.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:53AM

amos2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...And, I'm STILL of the opinion that Bill Maher
> was badly distasteful to mock the temple
> ritualization of Ann Romney's father.
> I got responses from that saying even Ann didn't
> have the right to change her father's
> religion...BUT SHE DIDN'T. Her ritualization is
> not binding on him in any way. There's no legal
> effect, and from my atheistic perspective, there's
> definitely no divine-authority effect. The whole
> exercise is moot...except for the sensitivities of
> the survivors...and the sensitivities of direct
> descendants, IMO, trump all others.

why not ask the mason's if they are offended. It IS THEIR ceremony after all that was stolen and plagerized. Why should anyone have any respect for people who steal other's ceremonies in order to rationalize polygamy (which Joe the 'ho was publically denying who privately practicing). And who would show respect to such people and such a history of theft?

Relly it is just a silly cereomony. just like bill Maher's ceremony.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:37AM

amos2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...And, I'm STILL of the opinion that Bill Maher
> was badly distasteful to mock the temple
> ritualization of Ann Romney's father.

This is what Mormons do to everybody. They stomp all over everything in their self-righteousness. They mock the faiths and beliefs of everyone. From sending out missionaries and "every member a missionary," your religion is wrong, from teaching other people's children behind their parent's backs, encouraging division of family, keeping parents shut out from their children's wedding, and then they go after the dead. It's just a matter of time before they get a healthy helping of what they've been dishing. If Mormons are outraged, all I can say is good. I have zero respect for their temple and sacred rituals, they haven't earned it. They certainly don't hold much respect for my faith or the faith of my relatives, deceased or otherwise. It's an offensive act and disrespectful act. They soil a memory, a person's choices in life, their name. And we all know the Mormons are going to cry loudest and hardest if so little regard was held for their ancestors and their ancestors were disrespected in this way.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:41AM

IMO it's no different than me filling a bucket with water, saying a prayer and jumping in. After that, I make a claim that someone who once lived is now going to take on my beliefs because I made it possible by jumping in a bucket of water.

I want to laugh at the stupidity. I don't want to validate it by saying it carries some weight with me.

Date: February 17, 2012 02:45AM

Oh - believe me I know that the actual dunking has no spiritual effect, no legal effect, etc. I do know however that it will have an emotional impact (CALLED ANGER) on TSCC which is the entire point. They need to know how it feels to have everyone else supposedly decide on things that should be decided by each individual. They need to be taught a lesson the only way which will work for them which is by others following their example. They can dish it out but can't take it.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:58AM

Nope. What a waste of time.

Yes, the practice is disrespectful and offensive to people, but that's pretty much the extent of the harm.

I'm more enraged about gay Mormons killing themselves because of church abuse and financially struggling members being extorted out of their money so the 15 can buy up more and more ivory towers, for starters...

There are actual pure evil things the church does that effect living people to be upset over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 04:00AM by goldenrule.

Date: February 17, 2012 04:49AM

Grand larceny is worse than pilfering, so petty theft is fine.

Bigotry toward gays can lead to suicide, so descecration and insulting rudeness toward Jews and Gentiles is fine.

I don't think so. If something like this bothers someone, it's unfair to blame them and not the perpetrators.

Date: February 17, 2012 07:40AM

Um, no that's not what I said at all.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:06AM

Date: February 17, 2012 12:00PM

Not at all.

I did not nor do not condone the practice. I just feel this issue does not warrant OP's level of rage. My opinion. Which I'm entitled to have. OP and everyone else can have theirs too. But don't twist my words to mean something they did not.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:24PM

because you simply don't want to see it for how serious it is.

How is that twisting your words?

Date: February 17, 2012 12:41PM

Cheryl insinuated that I condone BOD because they are not as bad as gay Mormons killing themselves (via an ill fitting analogy), and that is twisting my words. Giving them meaning that clearly isn't there. And I take issue with that.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you and Cheryl will be right on the OP's request lickety split because of the seriousness of the issue.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:50PM

Cheryl simply straightened them out.

Timothy

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:17PM

You know, where everybody thinks alike, and black-and-white is the common denominator?

Goldenrule's only sin was forgetting to add "IMHO" to his post...

I'm in general agreement with his "hierarchy of evil," and IMHO, people should probably learn not to be so easily offended, but 'taint so, and I still get a little bent when somebody tries to tell me which route take to get them home...

Particularly when they're drunk...

But then that's why taxi meters are secret agents for karma...

SLC
Who admits to being a little uncomfortable when CZ, Cricket, and WCG enlisted him in some "post-mortem unbaptisms and sealings cancellations." Bill Maher was mistaken when he claimed to be performing the first one in history... But I recognized some ex-Mo's needed to purge themselves in this fashion...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:06PM

Some of us have been wading into reactor meltdowns for a long time and even occasionally coming back with a few individuals on our backs (I recommend the fireman's carry) from time to time.

It's our choice how much we do (and you're welcome to look at my handiwork over on Lawrence O'Donnell from this last week).

Some of us remember the wild west days of RFM when there were actually trolls here and not those not-ready-to-shave BYU pre-mission sorts that ADMIN occasionally overlooks.

Think you're tough enough to take a crotch shot from, say Calculus Crusader? Right... No less than Deconstructor took a few weeks off after one, and while I'm ahead on points, I didn't get the stake driven home with that gonzo... And I used to break teenage drug addicts for a living.

The other thing that's important is to remember Mobots are still people, and beating up on them just for the sake of beating up on them is a bit questionable... If they're out there inviting it, it's one thing, have at 'em...

Pick your duels wisely and don't burn yourself out.

Date: February 17, 2012 02:29PM

... you know I'm a huge fan of the notion that no problem is so great that it can't be overcome by a dose of high-explosives, but I see your point.

Even so, one nuclear bomb can and likely will ruin your whole day.

Just sayin'

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 02:30PM by Timothy.

Date: February 17, 2012 02:29PM

wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 02:30PM by Timothy.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:16PM

I think you're dead on right. This necro-dunking is one mormon practice that seems to be getting continued media attention.

Sure, gay mormons killing themselves is something that really matters. The mormon church could care less or they would have taken drastic action and put people before fictional doctrine. It didn't.

Necro-dunking looks like the best entry point right now. Maybe something else will get traction. But everyone can get the creeps about the mormon church baptizing their dead ancestors. If the mormon church takes a major hit on that, it keeps the blood flowing. That, in turn, will help gay mormons, depressed mormon housewives, and the poor wretches who feel stuck in the combine. Whatever gets the most publicity.

I don't know what I can do, but I'm ready to get on board any reasonable plan anyone has to publicize the issue and put heat on the mormon church. I don't have the contacts but I'd be willing to drop some substantial coin, particularly if you have Benson on board.

There may never be another time like this. It all goes away if Romney isn't elected President or drops out of the primary. Nobody will care what any ex-mormon thinks. Back to obscurity.

So, I'm on board. Time or money. Let me know.

Date: February 18, 2012 05:18AM

Of course, I'm on board too....keep these posts going so we'll get some workable ideas.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:45AM

On another list, with a lot of TBMs, I suggested that Mormons simply don't realize how offensive the practice is to non-Mormons.

I pointed out that Hindus consider washing something in cow urine to be a purifying ritual. I asked how they would feel if some Hindu were to pour cow urine all over their TBM grandmother's grave and tombstone, to purify her. And make a video of it and keep a record of it, and send them a certificate: "On February 18, 2012, the grave of Mary Smith was purified by soaking in sacred cow urine, washing off her Mormonism."

That suggestion killed the thread. Nobody responded.

I suspect that they would consider it a desecration of a grave. Which, I suppose, is much worse than desecretion of a person's name.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 02:08PM

Descicrate a grae it's obvious and known desicrate a name and its much worse. Your desicrateing thair mark on sosiaty thair mark on the world the ancestors traditions and beliefs and everything.

Date: February 18, 2012 02:39PM

I might use your excellent example and will remember give you credit. Well done, Richard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 02:39PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:41PM

Let's find a Hindu and some cow urine. I think its a great idea. Is there a group of famous mormons or prophets buried in the same place so we can hit one group at once? I think it might get some press right now. We video tape the process, put it up on youtube, and let the press know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 05:42PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 02:48PM

It's very wide-spread and no mormons can deny that it is done. "You don't like it? Well we're gonna do it anyway, so poo on you. We know what's best for you, you don't."

Necro dunking is a great example of what Mormonism is all about - it's stupid busywork to keep the sheeple busy and keeping up their temple recommends, keep the focus on the temple, and don't respect the wishes of non-Mormons, cause they aren't happyhappyspeshul.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 02:49PM

Necrodunking could be used as a springboard to discuss the appallingly bad taste exhibited by many mormons on many levels.

Mormonish art, mormonish poetry, mormonish fashion, mormonish rituals -- all are part of a bigger picture.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 06:41PM

Really, we need to find out if using cow urine on a grave is legal. We don't want to be crooks like ole Joe from the very beginning.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:32PM

The cow urine thing might be okay if you get the cow's consent in writing first.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.