Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:43PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:47PM

Made me do some thinking. Some of the best memories of my life were during the time I was a mormon, but I think that's the only connection. In fact, they were when I'd go to my grandparent's house and I think I loved it so much because we got away from mormonism when we were there. Those are probably the only really good memories I have from my childhood.

Also, some of the good memories with my kids were when I was mormon, but they are just some good family memories. The best things that have happened in my life have definately happened in the last 10 years since my resignation.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:02PM

I've got some pretty great memories from youth scout trips such as river rafting in the snake river and hiking in the uintas.

My first experience with off road mountain biking was on my mission - which is now my most favorite thing in the whole world.

Posted by: srlowther ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:24PM

I would hope all those disaffected do have those happy memories somewhere. However, anger has a way of making us shelve them. Unless our experience has been of long, unrelenting oppression, it is when we get over the anger and are able to move on that those memories will return. They will be of happy times interacting with friends and family. That is what we remember most as we approach life's end. Hopefully.

Suppressing them serves no good purpose I can see.

Posted by: zexsi ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:05PM

srlowther Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would hope all those disaffected do have those
> happy memories somewhere. However, anger has a
> way of making us shelve them. Unless our
> experience has been of long, unrelenting
> oppression, it is when we get over the anger and
> are able to move on that those memories will
> return. They will be of happy times interacting
> with friends and family. That is what we remember
> most as we approach life's end. Hopefully.
>
> Suppressing them serves no good purpose I can see.

I would imagine that there are so many different responses as to find everyone has a pretty unique review of their own lives that doesnt match any other completely.

The best moments of my life include those in and out of the church.

- Getting my first errection (It was more of a stunning moment, there's bone in that thing!)

- Finding out I wasn't going to jail/prison for the rest of my life when I was 18 years old and got busted for computer hacking and related "issues".

- When I finally realised that Jesus wasn't just some fairy tale and the "spirit" hit me like a ton of bricks.

- The day I got the priesthood. It was an indescribable experience I'd never felt before.

- Meeting my wife for the first time / Realizing someone actually liked me

- In the temple when we were married, looking at her bright shining face.

- The day I woke up from a drunken week long bindge and found I was still alive (yes, it was a happy moment!)

So a life of rare roses mixed in with the thorns. I don't deny my happy moments couched in some anger I feel towards the church members.

I do find it a bummer that more people havent felt the extreems of what I've gone through, but it certainly hasnt been an easy life!

-Zexsi

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:46PM

I have loads of happy memories. The church had nothing to do with any of them.

The big events in mormonism were all contrived. Fake emotions built on fake happy events.

I've had happier moments digging in the dirt in my back yard.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 07:35PM

There have been a number of times that I've thought about the best times I had as a youth. That age between about 10 and 18. I can remember every camping, hunting, and fishing trip I went on with my Dad. I can't remember a single aaronic priesthood lesson or MIA lesson. Zippo. Guess that goes to show just how important a parent's influence is on adolescent kids. My dad was inactive most of my remembered life, so I relish the times he decided to get away and take me with him camping or hunting or fishing.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:02PM

Every one involves my loved ones; family and friends both.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:02PM

the only connection. The best day of my life was the day my twins were born. The day I married was a really happy day--even considering how it ended. It wasn't that it was marriage in the temple either.

Some of my very worst moments were definitely directly tied to mormonism.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:04PM

In the youth program, there were lots of basketball and softball. Backpacking in the summer, (we didn't do much of the official scouting stuff). Lots of other youth activities during throughout the year.

Though thinking about it, those were social things the church and our youth leaders provided rather than actual church-ish things.

Once nineteen and mission, nada, zilch, zippo since then.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:06PM

I have happy memories that involved the church but the church had nothing to do with it. Rather, it had to do with family, friends, and other people.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:19PM

My happiest moments in MORmONISM were the very few, far too rare and very wonderful times when I was finally fed up enough so I ended telling some MORmON to take their churchin' program and shove it or similar action, Like the morning I quit Seminary, or the time I just got up from very near the front and very obviously strolled out of Sacrament meeting not to return because I did not want to hear the BS talk that was being given. Other than that, the more MORmON the experience the more terrorized &/or depressed that I felt, and its just that simple.

dovetailing with this was the realization that if there was a celestial kingDUMB then I had ZERO interest in being there with the MORmONS that I knew who expected to be there.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:30PM

I had some good times growing up.We had a good close family and done many things together. Can't remember doing much related to the mormons.
I guess the happiest memories I have about the mormons was when I beat the bishops son so bad he had to go to the hospital. Still brings a smile to my face. Life can be good,,

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:40AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.