Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:21PM

I know a lot of you have been out of tscc for year and I need advice. The HP leaders want to "visit" (love that word) us Sat. because we haven't been to church this year yet (although they won't say why they want to visit.) Is the best tactic to just ignore this e mail? We haven't officially resigned though we have told several people that we are taking a break from tscc and we dont know where this is going to lead but that isn't entirely true- we aren't coming back. The strong arming is starting and I don't appreciate it. Advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:54PM

Send in your resignation, the sooner the better. And with the 'visit' they want to have with you, tell them what you told us. That you're not coming back, that you no longer believe in the LDS church, and that the visits stop NOW before they start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 11:55PM by dclarkfan1.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 12:42AM

When your visitors arrive, greet them at the front door (BUT DO NOT LET THEM IN) and hand them the letter.

Tell them: "We have now resigned from your church, effective with my delivery of this letter from my hand to yours. We are no longer subject to any of your rules or regulations. We wish NO further contact with any members of your organization, period. Goodnight, and goodbye."

And close the door.

Harsh? A bit. Arguable? No. Once your resignation is in their hands (and you have seen that it is - you placed it there yourself!) YOU ARE OUT!

You might want to follow up with an email to the COB (I don't have that address, but others here do) to describe what has just taken place and re-stating that termination of your membership has just taken place, and you would appreciate written confirmation from them ASAP.

Good luck!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:59PM

"We do not want any unsolicited contact with anyone representing the church. Do not come over, do not send us any more messages, and do not send anyone else to visit."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 12:10AM

You've got some options:

You can e-mail them back and say you won't be available. No excuses, no explanations. The more you "talk" to them, the more opportunity they have to mess with your head. When they e-mail you again, send back the exact same response. Mormons don't get subtlety though, so they may keep after you.

Ignore it. The problem with that is, Mormons don't get subtlety nor do they have the ability to grasp the concept that they are unwanted. They could drop by unannounced.

Whatever you do, watch your phone. It's important an exmo have both caller ID and an answering service for the first 6 months to a year. Screen all your calls. Don't call Mormons back.

Don't answer the door at obvious Mormon attack times. The night the bishopric meets, the night they hold YM/YW and Saturdays. Warn your real friends to call before they come over so you'll know if it's OK to open the door.

OK, about now you are thinking "How dare they make me live like this by semi-stalking/harassing me?" That's why so many of us are so annoyed. Unless you resign, you can't get them to go away easily. Even some people who have resigned have problems with their ward members. They just don't get the message. They are like that socially clueless kid at school that ate his boogers and didn't get jokes and smelled funny, but still kept pestering the popular kids to be his friend. They are just clueless. Moving might tone it down a bit because these Mormons know you and will want to try harder to save you than the people in your new ward. But, again, how DARE they harass you to that point?

The only real way to get rid of them is to scare them off. Bishop Jackwagon et. al. have left us alone to a remarkable extent because I unloaded a ton of information that proved the church was a lie onto BJ and he is scared of sending people around because he's scared I'll disassemble their testimonies too. Everyone has been real hit and run about it, which is plenty irritating. But no one has come to discuss our concerns with us because BJ knows where a discussion like that will lead. You might be able to scare them off by pointing out the lies in their church but you run the danger of starting an argument or getting involved in a discussion with someone incapable of a reasoned discussion.

Either way, good luck. We are here for you, when you are ready to rant because they are driving you crazy :)

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 01:07AM

You all are so good to us newbies! You make a lot of sense. I am just so aggravated that these idiots think they can get a 'command performance' with us. What overblown, inflated egos. I just wish I had done this so much sooner.

Posted by: 2lazy2login ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 08:46AM

In my experience, they feel that their need to visit you trumps anything you have. They did ask to visit but even if you say you aren't available, they will show up anyway and typically unannounced and uninvited. I do like the ideas already mentioned and do suggest going with one or more of them.

Posted by: alwaysaskingtiff ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 09:02AM

myselfagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know a lot of you have been out of tscc for year
> and I need advice. The HP leaders want to "visit"
> (love that word) us Sat. because we haven't been
> to church this year yet (although they won't say
> why they want to visit.) Is the best tactic to
> just ignore this e mail? We haven't officially
> resigned though we have told several people that
> we are taking a break from tscc and we dont know
> where this is going to lead but that isn't
> entirely true- we aren't coming back. The strong
> arming is starting and I don't appreciate it.
> Advice?

As a newly ex-mormonized, judgmental and self-important mormon myself.. in their minds you are lost. You need their guidance. They feel sorry for you and wonder about you often and how you could have gone so "astray" from the church. In their minds, you will come back eventually, it is just a matter of time. If they can be the ones to facilitate that --- then they feel better about themselves and their religion which they KNOW IS 100% TRUE.

It's sick thinking, isn't it? I'm so glad to be out.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 09:10AM

If they show up after that say, "I'm surprised you'd show up knowing we're not interested in these kinds of meetings. Good try, but I told you we'd let you know if we wanted a meeting. I'll have to say goodbye now. Take care."

Then close the door.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 09:13AM

Reply to the e mail.

Dear HP leaders.
We do not require any contact from any representative of the Mormon Church. Thank you for your interest but we must insist that you stop contacting us. If you do not respect our wishes we will have no option but to seek legal advice about your continuing harassment.

Kind regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 09:13AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 09:57AM

Reply to the e-mail, telling them you do not need any visits. They did,after all, send you an e-mail and not just show up like so many do.

I wrote my leaders that I wanted no home visits and they have honored that request. I know not all do, however.

Posted by: abacab08 ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:35AM

He is just a High Priest leader sent by bishop or branch president on a whim to do his dirty work. Id ignore the email. This year is only 7 weeks in. But i'm sure your name must of came up in morning meetings (gossip hour).

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:04AM

First, we haven't resigned yet because of extended family--I know many of you are in similar situations. We've had several requests for EQ or bishopric visits here, for us to come see the bishop, to go to lunch with the bishop, etc, and we've always just politely declined.

Excuses used:
Sorry we're busy
No thanks, we'd rather not at this time
Thanks for thinking of us, but we can't now.

Each response is usually coupled with:
We'll let you know (when we're ready to talk, when we're free, when whatever)

There was a period of a lot of requests, but that has almost completely stopped now. Consistently turn them down and they eventually give up. Give in once and the whole thing will start over again.

Oh yeah, and we also never answer our phone or our door (unless we've been caught with the garage open or outside when they've shown up. But they're NOT invited in). That helps a lot too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 11:08AM by nowI'mfound.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:06AM

You can also join us for counter-love bombing day this fast Sunday. A plate of gingerbread men wearing green aprons, with a printout of the DNA proof that the BofM is wrong, will send a powerfully strong message.

Posted by: abacab08 ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:09AM

Very true unless change in qurorum presidents, cycle begins again. Surprised they haven't sent the missionairies out your way...a trick they use.

But be aware your name does come up in morning meeting gossip hour.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:19AM

I realise that some of the above advice may sound harsh, especially if you've been 'church friends' with some of the people who want to visit.

but the big thing here is that the church only has as much power over you, as you allow it to have.... that is the single most important thing you need to remember

These people are not coming as friends, they are coming as representatives of that church which has been shown to be a crock.

you have no need to do anything because of an unsolicited e-mail..... no need to inform them of anything, no need to talk to them, no need to open your door.

your life is your own and your choices are your own. good luck

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.