Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:47PM

Ok I admit it. I spend way too much time on this computer. As a result I come across so much BS that it seems there is more BS than non BS.

Of course we know the "church" is always spouting out BS as well as every other church on this planet. Some truths...yes...well maybe, but mostly BS.

Chakras? BS, Reiki BS, Meditation? BS, Weight loss pills BS, Diet plans BS, MLM schemes BS, Fox news BS, Glen Beck BS on and on and on.

Thanks for listening....and btw....I've got the great deal...but wait, there's more!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:54PM

+1

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 12:35AM

Especially when you encounter adherents of this junk who are completely convinced and who wrap their whole lives around it. My ex gets acupuncture and massages for a shoulder injury she's had for more than a year now and won't get health insurance. My parents are in turbo Mormon mode, because the Church is building them a temple three miles from their house. I know people who are into magnets and crystals, those things you wear on your wrist, herbal and homeopathic remedies, colloidal silver, etc. And then there is the political foolishness. At least people have stopped talking about The Secret.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 12:36AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 01:35AM

We need to use the good that is found in all the disciplines.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:04PM

Carol Y. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We need to use the good that is found in all the
> disciplines.

Are you including leeches and garlic wreathes? ;-o

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:12PM

> Are you including leeches and garlic wreathes? ;-o

You're aware that the FDA has approved the use of leeches as a medical device?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5319129/ns/health-health_care/t/fda-approves-leeches-medical-devices/

Maggots too are extremely useful in treating necrotic tissue.

Leeches are not a good example of bad medicine anymore, but rather cutting edge technology. How's that for irony.

Date: February 23, 2012 03:35PM

Other Than Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Are you including leeches and garlic wreathes?
> ;-o
>
> You're aware that the FDA has approved the use of
> leeches as a medical device?

Leeches are used for skin grafts and reattachment surgery, especially micro-surgery. Hardly the same thing they were originally used for (bloodletting, and as a cure-all like snake-oil).

The difference here is, they tested the use by scientific process and then found it useful with limited (or acceptable) harm. The homeopathy, as I understand it, is based on tradition and folklore. That is not a sound basis.

Date: February 24, 2012 08:19AM

I have no problem if the medicine/treatment, whatever the source, undergoes trials and clinicals in a scientific, methodical study.

I think what bothered me about your first post was that it alluded to a conspiracy against homeopathy based on no good reason. The reasons were primarily that they were untested, untried and unscientific. I think that is a good reason to be skeptical until shown otherwise.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 12:45AM

I knew someone with RA. She had a priesthood blessing that said she would be healed..

She went on an incredibly strict diet for 3 years. Lived as righteous as a person could possibly live. Had 2 babies. Now she's 30 and confined to a wheelchair the rest of her life. While she was doing the diet and blessing thing her joints disintegrated. She will never walk or play the piano again. She could have avoided that by taking medication.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 01:27AM

I love Carl Sagan's book "the Demon Haunted World".
He not only slams religion, but also pseudoscience...the market of bogus claims.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 01:38AM

I knew a guy who dropped Mormonism and went crazy for Astrology. He never grew up, and his mom still supports him.

Remember your first paycheck? That was your first dose of reality. Everything else was pure B.S.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:13PM

Yup, I was just thinking I should spend less time reading BS about Mormonism and more time learning new skills that will improve my earning potential! Money is the most real thing there is in this life (even when it is fiat and fake) and the joys of earning it, and more importantly spending it, are real and true.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:31AM

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:24PM

At least we're not living in the world before the internet, where the only thing you were ever exposed to in life was BS. I like information-flow, and I've done a lot of practicing weeding through it.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:24PM

The BS is why I'm attending the Reason Rally in DC next month.
I hope my knee feels better by then.

I had a Wiccan rub it with a toad, but it still hurts. ;-)

Posted by: RationalGuy ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 03:39PM

Sounds like my fave dead comedian, George Carlin!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5489325822351974981

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 08:55AM

Those who don't get enough of it at church also might take up extreme advocacy stances toward such things as food fadism, music crazes, self help notions, political movements and political correctness

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.