Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:48AM

A gay marriage bill passed last evening in the Maryland House of Representatives, 72-67. A handful of legislators changed their minds in favor of the bill in the days leading up to the vote. The bill next moves on to the Maryland Senate where it is likewise expected to pass. Governor Martin O'Malley is a stong proponent of the bill. Maryland has some openly gay representatives.

The bill, if it passes the Senate, will not take effect until January, 2013, leaving time for an expected public referendum next November.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:57AM

I hope it passes, but it is hard for gay rights to pass, even in a more liberal state, during an presidential election year. Those tend to bring out a lot of people who are not the most informed on all the issues.

Date: February 23, 2012 11:22PM

Same sex marriage just passed in Maryland. The bill cleared the state senate this evening, 25-22. The governor will sign it.

A public referendum is still expected. I believe that 55,000 signatures are needed.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 12:02AM

I misread that. I thought it still had to go up for a vote, in the public, I didn't realize they just needed 55,000 people to express their support.

Date: February 24, 2012 12:22AM

Same sex civil marriage will be the legal in Maryland as of January 1st, 2013.

There will almost certainly be an attempt to overturn it via public referendum in November. That's what I was referring to. I'm not certain how the referendum will go. It will be interesting to see if the Mo church gets involved, or sits this one out.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 10:31AM

On the East coast they usually send in their highly (but covertly) paid rabid dog: the National Organization for Marriage, a.k.a. NOM. The cult doesn't want another Massachusetts/California-style PR fiasco on their hands, so they will secretly funnel more $$$ to Maggie Gallagher and Brian Brown to do their dirty work for them.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:48PM

Fingers crossed that it'll pass...now if only some other states would get with it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 06:11PM

This Marylander is all for it! Good job.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:29PM

Great news. The balls keep rolling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.