Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 04:42PM

Came out almost a month ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/01/30/what-is-it-about-mormons/mormonism-it-may-look-good-on-paper

I love the closing statement: "A culture that walks in such tidy lockstep has the advantage of homogeneity, and will always look good on paper... But some of us who have experienced the Mormon life firsthand would rather choose a messy, colorful America lurching forward without so many confines — every day and twice on Sunday."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 05:44PM

Yeah, I missed that article too. Glad you brought it up again.

I liked this takedown of one mormon claim to virtue:

"Their much-vaunted "worldliness" comes from the missionary program, but when the missionaries go to Brazil, Angola or New Paltz, N.Y., they experience those places wholly through the prism of religious conversion. They are there to spread gospel and baptize, not to revel in local custom. In many cases, Mormons see the world, but they don't get it."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 08:48AM

Yeah, that was a good one to highlight. It explains why it is that Utah has all these kids learning languages and experiencing places far and wide, but still remains a small-minded and provincial state.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 07:01PM

Don't forget that it divorces you from your culture, ethnic as well as regional/geographical. I know so many that have tried to hang onto those parts of their lives, but it's been very difficult for them, IMHO. It makes them only able to participate in their cultures in very watered down ways.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 07:42PM

One of the rebuttal posters, I suppose:
* Jean Corey, SLC

Utah's high use of antidepressants is easily explained: Utahans go to doctors when they need mental help instead of self medicating with alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, and sometimes illegal drugs like most Americans do.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 07:46PM

But they don't dare go to a psychiatrist who would want them to talk. They just get the meds from their regular doctor, & pretend everything is fine.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 09:14PM

So, even with the highest antidepressant use and such alleged willingness to make use of mental health services, people in Utah still kill themselves at near-record rates?! Something must be terribly wrong in Utah.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 08:39AM

That was a fantastic short essay! Thanks for the link.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 12:01PM

Reading some of the comments makes me sad.

I can see that all of the mormons coming to the rescue have about the same understanding of the real history and real beliefs as I did when I was totally in.

I especially like the NY mormon trying to refute what the author was saying about Utah mormons. If your point is that you can't judge all mormons unless you've met them all, maybe you shouldn't debate his characterization of Utah mormons unless you've actually lived there...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.