Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 12:28AM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19428181&title=a-look-inside-as-city-creek-centers-completion-nears&s_cid=featured-1

The Salt Lake Chamber says $5 billion have gone into the revitalization of downtown Salt Lake City in the form of the new City Creek Center.
The project is nearly finished, and H. David Burton — presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the man who has overseen City Creek from the beginning

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 12:42AM

H. David Burton.
His comments were nauseating. Disingenuous. Condescending.
He tried to push every emotional button he could think of.
I am not convinced.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 12:47AM

That's just unbelievable.

Do you think he meant $5B counting the other projects? $5B? Really?

That widow wasted her mite.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:12AM

It sounds like they are counting $5B for all the current projects downtown.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 12:54AM

What a piece of crap that guy is. It is just unbelievable. It is just incredible to me how deceptive and non-transparent tscc is. How much tithe went into that, I wonder?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:03AM

hard working mormons, some tithing has gone to help the poor, sick, and hungry, but this is the product of most of the tithing money. plus the millions spent on unesscessary temple renovations. Now aren't you mormons proud. this mall is really going to bless the needy of the world

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:32AM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:17AM

There are a lot of tithe payers in the ward I left that will never see this mall. Most of them could not afford to shop there.
Many of them are living paycheck to paycheck. Doing without. Some have lost their homes and businesses. They are still paying tithing though.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:25AM

Exactly, Mia. My TBM ex-wife will continue to live below the poverty line and buy all her clothes from the thrift store living from paycheck to paycheck. No way she could afford to shop there and all the while her tithing $$$ is being funneled to the Morridor while she lives out in the mission field.

TSCC is nothing more than an organized crime syndicate extorting its members to keep the tithes flowing. Truly sick and wrong.

Posted by: Nologerin cant login ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:18AM

"Though reasonable efforts will be made globally to use donations as designated, all donations become the Church's property and will be used at the Church's sole discretion to further the Church's overall mission."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:28AM

Lots of Buzz-Words there; I noticed he didn't mention any cutting edge technology (energy conservation, for example).

With only 30% of the condos sold... (how many units?) How long might it be until they rent them out?

Looks nice ...that's the TOP PRIORITY, isn't it?

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:32AM

Jesus finally has a mall worthy of his presence.

God has always instructed his peoples to build shopping centers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 01:42AM by The Man in Black.

Posted by: apatheistnotloggedin ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:38AM

That quote is absolutely priceless. Pun intended. I'm going to repeat that to myself 30 times tonight so I have it memorized.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 09:13AM

The Man in Black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus finally has a mall worthy of his presence.
>

and you can bet that He still wont ever show up there.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:34AM

This is most disgusting to sit back and watch, as Mr. so called chocolate eclair bishop is talking I am thinking exactly what you guys wrote...how is this suppose to help the needy- do we really need more material items in our homes. I feel so bad for my Mormon family and where their tithing dollars are going. They are so oblivious. It crushes my heart to watch this kind of stuff take place. Just take a drive through North Salt Lake, Bountiful- aka Mormon Royalty- that's where you will find the homes that need more 'things' in their homes. I dated guys and had 'friends' from there-- disbelief and shock that people just live in mansions left and right-- Materialistic nut jobs. Competition galore as well. They don't care about what we think, it's their neighbor down the road...that is like as far as their simple minds can stretch. Me leaving....serious social family suicide-- so be it-- I am free and so are all of you guys!! their cards will fall, and I pity them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:45AM

Did ChurchCo leak the $5B figure to the C of C?

If I was a church member... I'd be a bit put-off if they didn't tell members FIRST. Oh well.

Backside: most of that $ went into the SLV economy, the building trades: Framers/Carpenters, Electricians, Plumbers; architects, inspectors; suppliers list a mile long;
Would a 10% tithing 'requirement' be considered an illegal kick-back? Probably not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 01:53AM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:58AM

Just for some scale and comparison, 15 Billion will get you the largest building in the world, and second tallest.

The Abraj Al-Bait Towers, also known as the Mecca Royal Hotel Clock Tower, is a building complex in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The complex holds several world records, such as the tallest hotel in the world, the tallest clock tower in the world, the world's largest clock face,[2] and the world's largest building floor area. The complex's hotel tower became the second tallest building in the world in 2011, surpassed only by Dubai's Burj Khalifa.

Seems like 1/3 of that ought to get you a little more than a mall and condos in SLC.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:05AM

And if you watched the video clip of the interview, did the patronizing pat on the back that he did to the woman next to him catch your attention?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:23AM

He said that Utah hasn't felt quite the depth of the recession as other places, but a recession is also partly what you make of it. I would say that selling a whole lot of condos in the wake of a real estate bust is not a good business venture, and the 30% sales rate (after years) bears that out. I realize he was talking about retailers though.

I think it was pretty honest. They admitted the project was $5 billion (after lying in the DeseretNews that it was only $1.5 billion) and they admitted they have a lot of units to sell.

It's a big waste of money and obviously a money laundering project. They're robbing tithe-payers around the world to pay for a project they can never enjoy, and I think they're also slowing the real estate recovery by flooding the market with these condos that aren't selling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 02:24AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: figeritout ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:44AM

Thats enough money to build a city under a city.I think they did

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:54AM

so... a mall in utah cost over a billion dollars more than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_World_Trade_Center

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 04:06AM

Thoroughly unimpressed with this City Creek as I look at the magnificent WTC 1. And the condos are mormon standards condos? Can any gentile live there in a gentilic manner?

Posted by: tillamook ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 05:50AM

Watching that video reminds me of a passage I once read as a child and lessons I once learned growing up.

"And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld a great and spacious building and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine...the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great"

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 10:50AM

I agree with the person who said it was enough money to build a city under a city.

Jesus is coming back and he needs a really nice bunker to come to. What better preparation for the Last Days but to build a seige hotel under the City Creek Mall which will make the whole thing a subterranean, fortified survival bunker right here in Utah.

This is where Mormon Royalty will go when the masses pour over the land like zombies seeking their food storage and their wimmin. It will be where the oligarchy will rule the world (righteously, of course) under Jesus for the thousand years of the millenium.

Forward thinking, indeed, people have no idea.....

Anagrammy

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:11AM

Yes, but they haven't used any tithing money on it.

Rather, they have probably used interest from investments that were made through tithing money, or liquidation of assets procured through tithing money, or some such. After all, what other source of income does the church have from which they can glean $5-billion? Fast offerings? For their sake I hope not.

And the mall will provide lots of extra income that they can claim is "not tithing," and who knows what they'll do with that!

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:19AM

IIRC, he said the mall was going to cost around $6 billion, and that everyone knew the $1.5 billion number reported in the local media was bogus. So credit where credit is due.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:49AM

Pretty sweet when you can legally collect taxes (tithes) from citizens from other US cities for capital building projects in your own city.

And how do people still believe TSCC is a church and not an organized crime syndicate??

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 11:50AM

http://truthmarche.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/church-finance-part-iv/
I like the effort this guy put into his research in comparison to the Jesus mall. I posted this link on the other thread currently running on RfM.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:04PM

Particularly when you consider that "Jerry World" (Cowboys Stadium) came in at a modest 1.5 billion.

Real expensive place to go watch TV, but still ...

Timothy

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 01:43PM

So... Peoples dole money here when theres a magor economic problem is going to that mess? I got one look at the appartment building they had shown and i'm worried. That looks like it is an adult coples grond floor bedroom with no curtains and seprate beds. no wonder they arnt getting the people buying appartments. They are selling them horrendusly badly.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:35PM

I admit that some of other projects mentioned worldwide are being built by imported (cheap) south asian labor, but I wonder how much "padding" went into the City Creek project, that will never be exposed, because it's "all in the family".

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: March 02, 2012 02:55PM

The church has achieved its goal. It has it's own schools (Utah's public school system k-12), It segregates employment (Try working for a Mormon employer and be a non member), church members have their own judicial and police system, and the church has it's own media arm. Now it has a place for the worthy to go shop. O' yea and the best part is this is a temple that everyone can go to. No interview - you just pay your 10% at the stores. How great is this. I will not put one foot in this new "Great and Spacious" what ever you wanna call it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.