Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 11:39AM

I liked "Pleasantville". It's about a brother and sister who are magically sucked into a 1950's "Leave it to Beaver" perfect TV world.

Very importantly, that world is black and white. Soon we realize that the world isn't as perfect as it looks, and as the newcomers introduce new ideas and feelings, people start thinking and feeling new things. And things change dramatically.

The "perfect community", the black and white, and the resistance to change were the things that reminded me of cults. Both the benefits and fallout of the change reminded me of the consequences of leaving the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 12:13PM

it came out about 5 or 6 years ago (the one I thought related to the lds church).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 12:13PM by cl2.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 12:21PM

I watched Pleasantville when I was still semi-active and a member of TSCC. It kind of resonated with me then, but I knew I'd lived in the black and white world and was just beginning to see color.

And you know, many people are perfectly happy in black and white world, as the people in the movie were. But now that I see in full color I could never dismiss that wonder or the color world. Full color world isn't always perfect. In fact, as in the movie, the colors can bring a lot of new things that aren't always good. But would rather be here, with the problems than back in B&W and living in La La Land.

Another great movie relating to cult life was "The Village," an M. Night Shyamalan movie. But the funny thing is that I saw it when I lived and worked in Utah and many of my co-workers, very TBM, also loved it. They saw the "outside world" as the village and when people found "the gospel" their eyes were open to the "real" beauty of the world. When I heard that I thought I really had crossed over to the other side of the mirror. That movie TOTALLY parodied growing up in mormondumb and then finding the real world outside of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.